PRS Hollowbody Appreciation Thread- or the Love of “Less is More”

In another coming soon post, I nabbed this one yesterday from Dave’s used listings. Should arrive on Monday:

0290058C.jpg
Daves has some nice HB in stock, SE also! Very reasonable as usual.

I admit it... I love PRS Hollowbody guitars. I didn’t think I would. For decades, I never even considered using one. Bad past experiences with others of the similar appearance... that old chestnut. Then I actually ventured into the world of guitars with (gasp!) air inside, and my first venture was astonishingly good. The 1999 McCarty Hollowbody Spruce turned out to be a great instrument: sounded great, played great, looked great, left my lower back feeling great. Great all around!

Now I have brought in exhibit 2: a 2021 McCarty 594 Hollowbody II. I find myself singing Foreigner’s “Feels Like The First Time” in the smiling realization that 22 years later the Hollowbody experience is still as good, though different. More of less is a good thing.

I’ll throw in a few pics of mine, and you add anything of yours that is PRS Electric Hollowbody related... if it is PRS, has pickups, and air inside, it counts! It’s good to be even semi-hollow here.

IMG_5288_4fc569d3-be9a-414f-9517-39d137f0c337.jpg

mPNM7ox.jpg
Very nice, I have a Hollowbody spruce myself, still haven't had the chance to try a 549 Hollowbody II(only a private stock version with mahogany back). What's your take on the 549? From what I understand it has a bigger center block, then there is the shorter scale, 4 knobs, tailpiece etc... Do you feel the vibe is slightly more 335'ish? Any insight is appreciated.

Very nice, I have a Hollowbody spruce myself, still haven't had the chance to try a 549 Hollowbody II(only a private stock version with mahogany back). What's your take on the 549? From what I understand it has a bigger center block, then there is the shorter scale, 4 knobs, tailpiece etc... Do you feel the vibe is slightly more 335'ish? Any insight is appreciated.
The 594 Hollowbody II is, in some ways, much like a 335. The playing feel, the controls, the mid-output of the pickups, give that 335-ish feel. The way the top is carved on the inside does a better job of damping feedback than the solid center block of the 335, which matters if you need to get loud. There isn’t a center block running the length of the body in a 594 HB, but there is a block under the bridge, a smaller block at the strap pin, and the necks area is, of course, solid. Instead of relying on the center block to damp feedback vibration, the top is carved thicker through the pickup areas. It works well, and the guitar has great clarity while resisting unwanted feedback as well or better than similar guitars.

The 594 HB is it’s own thing, and is worthy of consideration purely on its own strengths. Like a really good 335 (or Yamaha SA2000, as another reference) it is something that can bridge the gaps between several instruments too, if needed. Very versatile, and much more comfortable to play body size-wise, the 594 HB is the winner for me. Because the pickups are lower output, I’d strongly suggest you scrap current amp settings and start from scratch… if you use your ‘standard’ amp settings, you might label the sound weak or thin. Set right, this thing roars.

2006 Hollowbody spruce
tCB8Zbh.jpg
I just love those clean lightly bursted tops. Understated elegance. The HB Spruce remains my fave hollowbody PRS so far, as great as the 594 HB is. I’d love to add a piezo version!

The 594 Hollowbody II is, in some ways, much like a 335. The playing feel, the controls, the mid-output of the pickups, give that 335-ish feel. The way the top is carved on the inside does a better job of damping feedback than the solid center block of the 335, which matters if you need to get loud. There isn’t a center block running the length of the body in a 594 HB, but there is a block under the bridge, a smaller block at the strap pin, and the necks area is, of course, solid. Instead of relying on the center block to damp feedback vibration, the top is carved thicker through the pickup areas. It works well, and the guitar has great clarity while resisting unwanted feedback as well or better than similar guitars.

The 594 HB is it’s own thing, and is worthy of consideration purely on its own strengths. Like a really good 335 (or Yamaha SA2000, as another reference) it is something that can bridge the gaps between several instruments too, if needed. Very versatile, and much more comfortable to play body size-wise, the 594 HB is the winner for me. Because the pickups are lower output, I’d strongly suggest you scrap current amp settings and start from scratch… if you use your ‘standard’ amp settings, you might label the sound weak or thin. Set right, this thing roars.

I just love those clean lightly bursted tops. Understated elegance. The HB Spruce remains my fave hollowbody PRS so far, as great as the 594 HB is. I’d love to add a piezo version!
Hi, thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. I like the Hollowbody spruce, but somehow there is something about the sound I don't quite like. I wish it had a thinner finish. A student has the same guitar, but with a piezo, I like mine better. The piezo is not really my cup of tea.
I loved the private stock 594 Hollowbody, I played but the private stocks are usually a step up and also it had a mahogany back.
I appreciate the detailed description about the construction of the guitar, it sounds like it Is up my alley. My favorite guitars are the moment re two Collings I-35lc's and my newest PRS special semi. A 594 could give me some of the flavors of both those but with its own sound and vibe. I hope to check one out soon!

Back