PRS Hollowbody Appreciation Thread- or the Love of “Less is More”

Being a sucker for jazz boxes I stayed away from the PRS hollowbody guitars. But a couple of months back I stumbled upon a used-but-pristine 2008 SC Hollowbody 1. I found it to be an intriguing guitar and I preferred it to a Hollowbody 2 which was also at hand. It had more acoustic volume, a more even tone, tons of sustain and incredible articulation. I decided to buy it. Took me a while to grow into it, though. There’s no treble bleed cap and if I so much as look at the volume knob, the tone turns to mud. Tone knob works fine, volume unusable (to my ears). So I whipped out a volume pedal and only then did I start to discover what this guitar is capable of. Which is: just about everything. Very, very impressive.

s!Avw6X8saegj-goEVhZARFTCzs6VoQw

Figured maple top, mahogany back and neck with wide-fat neck carve, East Indian rosewood fretboard with moon inlays, finished in McCarty Sunburst with nickel hardware and 245 treble & bass pickups. PRS informed me that this guitar would have been made right around the time they stopped using Archtop pickups in the Hollowbody models.

It’s totally unlike my jazz boxes but I’m hooked.

Last edited:
Th
Being a sucker for jazz boxes I stayed away from the PRS hollowbody guitars. But a couple of months back I stumbled upon a used-but-pristine 2008 SC Hollowbody 1. I found it to be an intriguing guitar and I preferred it to a Hollowbody 2 which was also at hand. It had more acoustic volume, a more even tone, tons of sustain and incredible articulation. I decided to buy it. Took me a while to grow into it, though. There’s no treble bleed cap and if I so much as look at the volume knob, the tone turns to mud. Tone knob works fine, volume unusable (to my ears). So I whipped out a volume pedal and only then did I start to discover what this guitar is capable of. Which is: just about everything. Very, very impressive.

s!Avw6X8saegj-goEVhZARFTCzs6VoQw

Figured maple top, mahogany back and neck with wide-fat neck carve, East Indian rosewood fretboard with moon inlays, finished in McCarty Sunburst with nickel hardware and 245 treble & bass pickups. PRS informed me that this guitar would have been made right around the time they stopped using Archtop pickups in the Hollowbody models.

It’s totally unlike my jazz boxes but I’m hooked.
They do cross a lot of lines, but I’ve found them more to have a personality of their own that is comfortable in a lot of circles. I’d like to find a Singlecut to add to the arsenal. I love the look!

The only minor issue I've been having with my 594 HB's is that they seem to be significantly brighter than my solid body 594's. My solution was to just use them through a separate amp so no radical changes are necessary. It's also a good excuse to buy more amps.

Zero neck dive! When I buy HBs, that's my first question to the dealer. I can't deal with it.
My other one is 4 lbs 13 ounces, and is the lightest guitar I have owned. They must have specifically chosen a lightweight neck for that body, as the same result. No neck dive!
:):):)

That's great to hear! I've had my Sprucie for close to 20 years and it is minutely neck heavy and I always wondered with the density of RW if it would be worse.

Back