prs help

shane8002

hey guys just got a 97 paul reed smith 22 custom 5 way rotary switch with stopbar bridge, i want to love this guitar it looks and plays great. I used to use a 04 american strat i had 2 lace sensorsblue/silver and a hot rail in the bridge it sounded great, however the paul reed smith sounds bad. I play through a 2005 hot rod deville 4x10, the prs sounds bad through it. The lower 3 strings sound muddy no definition and the top three and super bright ive adjusted the pickups to really high and tried the bill lawrence method with the nickels i cant get this thing to sound good. I pluggedinto a peavey classic 50 too sounded slightly better but not much diffrence. Any advice guys? I play music for a living and got this as a gift from my dad hate to have it sit in a closet because it playssowell and I love the way it looks. Any other tips from long time prs users would be greatly appreciated.

It has the Dragon pups right? I have heard nothing but good about them, so I dont know, maybe some others will chime in with some ideas.

It has the Dragon pups right? I have heard nothing but good about them, so I dont know, maybe some others will chime in with some ideas.

Put on new strings, reset the entire guitar back to factory specs. Be sure to set all the pickup pole pieces back to spec. This will give you a solid starting point to begin your investigation,as to what may be the problem. At the very least, there may be nothing wrong with the guitar that a GOOD TUNEUP won't fix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When u say bad sounding is that compared to the Strat?What kind of player and sound are you?The custom 22 has a very different midcharacter compared to a strat.I would suggest trying other PRS guitars before spending lots of money on new pickups and parts.Some guitars dont have it.Find one that sounds good through your rig and trade it.One model i find very interesting is the NF3.

Last edited:
When u say bad sounding is that compared to the Strat?What kind of player and sound are you?The custom 22 has a very different midcharacter compared to a strat.I would suggest trying other PRS guitars before spending lots of money on new pickups and parts.Some guitars dont have it.Find one that sounds good through your rig and trade it.One model i find very interesting is the NF3.

I've always wanted a humbucking mahogany guitar strats sound thin i play a lot of blues jam band and classic rock

Have you tried Eqing the amp differently?Using the crunch channel and using volume knob on guitar for different tonal nuances?More master volume than preamp volume and using less bass concentrating on middle and treble controls.For blues and classic rock i really recommend u experiment with pickup height.You dont want the pickups too close to the strings,especially if the pickup is a high output model.Dont have your action low,raise the strings.As Bluefade says,have it setup and intonated properly.

Last edited:
Step 1, as stated, set it up to PRS specs with new strings. Make sure to adjust the pickup height to their recommendations as well. If you don't have experience, have a reputable shop do it(one that is a PRS dealer would be ideal).
There's too many variables as to why it may not sound good. If you start fresh, where it's supposed to be, then you have a starting point to make small changes. If its still sounds bad to you after the initial set-up, it may not be the ideal guitar for you. The Dragon pickups are quite hot, for your style they may not be ideal for the sound you're after.

Does the guitar sounds good when you play it unplugged?
If not then the guitars a dud for you.
If it does sound good unplugged I would consider changing the pick ups.

I suspect you are having the reverse of the problem I have with strats (always sound weak when I play them great in anyone else's hands especially if when i sell them someone turns up and try them before taking them away) the key I believe is the CU22 will be far more powerful especially in the mid/bass area than the strat so if you want it to sound more strat like lower the pickups and reduce the mid and bass on you amp for starters you could also try reducing the gain on the amp a touch, never had a PRS that could not be made to sound good (unless someone had messed with it in a major way) that for me is the beauty of them they are just so consistent I will happily by them unplayed from almost anywhere in the world not something I can say for many if any other brands, good luck I am sure the sound you want is in there somewhere just requires a little tweaking.

Get it setup with new strings. All put to the factory specs.

Pickups are not setup correctly.

Last edited:
been set up by a pro, the pickups are too hot, the bridge is way too trebly and the neck too warm so it's impossible to eq the amp for both pickups to sound optimal and I got the bridge as low as it can go with the volume matched to the neck

Raise the bridge just a tad and lower the neck pup a tad. I had dragon 2's and had a similar problem but just made slight adjustments. Made a world of difference.

I agree with others a bit of fiddling with the pickup height should fix your issues if not it sounds like you might like a more vintage sounding pickup in PRS 57/08 or a set of RPs might be just the ticket for you.
on another note I have a CU22 that came to me with Dimarzios a 36 Anv in the neck and a Tone Zone in the Bridge and the guitar sound killer.

Back