PRS-haters: "What does PRS have that Fender & Gibson doesn't?"

Agree or disagree?

• Agree

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Disagree

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
The title is presenting a question that "PRS-haters" might pose, their argument being that PRS has nothing to offer that isn't already offered by F and G. The poll is then asking whether or not you agree with that argument.

Yes I am fun at parties

I think the problem with other companys' efforts is just asking "How can we make this different", not "How can we make this better".

I sincerely hope that PRS finds the right person to lead the company when Paul steps away, lest it end up like other legacy brands.

Agreed. My hope is that they fill management positions from within the company. That is to say like a Jack Higginbotham, a guy who has not just been there for like thirty years now but has been involved with every aspect of guitar building on a personal level. There is a world of difference between that sort of cat and a suit brought in from elsewhere who knows squat about guitar construction, merely looking at guitars as products.

...i know what Fender has that PRS has not and I would literally kill to have. A piezo/contact microphone system incorporated in to a HB like they do with Acustosonics. Piezo alone is so... 2000's. In 2021 we have technology to make fake acoustics sound less fake. Putting bare bone piezo element in to a Hallowbody is like putting Toyota engine in to a Bentley

...i know what Fender has that PRS has not and I would literally kill to have. A piezo/contact microphone system incorporated in to a HB like they do with Acustosonics. Piezo alone is so... 2000's. In 2021 we have technology to make fake acoustics sound less fake. Putting bare bone piezo element in to a Hallowbody is like putting Toyota engine in to a Bentley
That is interesting. I put up a post here on May 20th (https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/capturing-that-hollowbody-acoustic-sound.48345/) querying on how I could get the raw acoustic sound from my HBII. The stuff I have heard from the PRS Piezo has not impressed me (or sound very accurate), and I really like the acoustic sound of the HBII, and would therefore like to capture that. If you have any suggestions, please chime in on that thread, or on this one! Maybe I could get the system they have on those F's and wire it into my HBII. Output would then be a stereo 1/4" and I am fine with that. I already have stereo cables that I use with the Fishman Rare Earth Blend Mic on one of my acoustics.

That is interesting. I put up a post here on May 20th (https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/capturing-that-hollowbody-acoustic-sound.48345/) querying on how I could get the raw acoustic sound from my HBII. The stuff I have heard from the PRS Piezo has not impressed me (or sound very accurate), and I really like the acoustic sound of the HBII, and would therefore like to capture that. If you have any suggestions, please chime in on that thread, or on this one! Maybe I could get the system they have on those F's and wire it into my HBII. Output would then be a stereo 1/4" and I am fine with that. I already have stereo cables that I use with the Fishman Rare Earth Blend Mic on one of my acoustics.

Sure mate. Just replied

Probably the best Marketing Team in the industry...

They just create more "excitement" among a wider expanse of guitar products. Gibson, seems to be the most wanting . (they essentially sell one guitar, the LP) .Fenders latest Strat tweaks look like a response to the Silver Sky ... The Acoustasonic ? May incorporate some nice stuff but I think they need to steal some PRS "styling guys", as all the tops on Acoustasonic look like they forgot to finish the entire top ...:oops: ...and the prices on their MX stuff, is almost as high as US stuff was not long ago ...

While the SE line keeps gaining altitude ... (yeah, its also pricier, but it seems to keep getting better as well )

I have a friend who has the Acoustasonic. She has small hands, so it works well for her. I realized after I got my second PRS that I could expect consistency and quality. I cycled through the other brands and could never find a magic guitar. I now have 10 magic PRS, and 5 that are merely excellent. All the other brands are gone, and I’m even going to sell my beloved magic Guild X170, because I haven’t had a reason to play it for over a year. 335? Actually, I prefer my SE Hollowbody piezo. It has a little more air to the sound, but can sustain like all get out. The laminated bodies do sound different than the true Hollowbodies.

Last edited:
I have a friends who has the Acosta sonic. She has small hands, so it works well for her. I realized after I got my second PRS that I could expect consistency and quality. I cycled through the other brands and could never find a magic guitar. I now have 10 magic PRS, and 5 that are merely excellent. All the other brands are gone, and I’m even going to sell my beloved magic Guild X170, because I haven’t had a reason to play it for over a year. 335? Actually, I prefer my SE Hollowbody piezo. It has a little more air to the sound, but can sustain like all get out. The laminated bodies do sound different than the true Hollowbodies.

I prefer a Costa Latte!;)

Apples and oranges...

Gibson and Fender are primarily companies trying to SELL guitars, with just enough quality control for the prices point to not hurts sales (and they don't always succeed, btw). They have "Custom Shop" guitars where the primary focus is to (mostly) make excellent guitars.

PRS' orientation seems to be a company that primarily makes excellent guitars, with sales being a secondary focus, and is most always predicated on the first.

Because Fender and Gibson are indeed "legacy" companies, their innovation is hamstrung by their legacies. This creates a challenge for improvement and innovation. PRS is not burdened by this.

Last edited:
I'm not really a fan of Fender. I have a US Super Strat but it rarely gets played. I have five Les Pauls and love them! I just recently picked up a PRS Custom 24 and really the flat fretboard radius, like my Les Pauls. I wish PRS would have a fatter neck profile as an option...

Bought my first one in 1989, and never looked back. Anything they make is better than comparable models in any other competitors catalog. You can buy PRS imports and know that the same attention to detail is in the design, as it is in an S2, Core, or private stock. I know I’m preaching to the choir here, but I like playing guitars that look great, sound great, play great, and most importantly, play in tune and stay in tune. Just my 2 cents....but I don’t know how to reply to this thread...yes? No? How bout: I dunno?

Back