PRS guitars appreciation

ArnaudS1979

Say Guys,

There is something odd I wanted your opinion on.

Before I bought my SE C24 and joined the forum a few weeks ago, I had never really felt the love for PRS guitars from fellow guitarists. I had the overall diffuse impression that PRS was out of favour from a good proportion of the guitarist community, with such comments like them being doctor's guitar recurring- in the sense of very expensive guitar bought as a trophy more than a musical instrument.

I have also always been surprised to note that it looks like PRS guitars are predominantly played by metal players with loads of gain. From my limited experience, I would say they are good for pretty much anything.

Obviously PRS from the US don't come cheep, but again, if my short experience with a korean one is anything to go by, it probably is worth more then the price tag.

You'll understand that I don't subscribe to the criticism relaid above. But have you experienced this kind of attitude from non-PRS players? Have I been reading / watching the wrong media or do you feel there is a bit of lack of love for PRS guitars in the wider guitar community? Don't worry, you guys make up for it in spades, and so will I!

I haven't experienced a lot of PRS hate. I have seen two cousins though. I've had a few players tell me they are just too expensive, and I've had them tell me they were Les Paul (or Strat) guys and they just couldn't get used to the playability or tone of a PRS. I can understand the first one although it is still true that you get what you pay for. The second one not only do I not understand, but it irritates me. How can you not get used to something that plays and sounds better? I can understand that it is different, but if different is better?

I haven't experienced any "hate" per se but I have gotten my share of side eyes and "ohh... that's one of those pr-esses huh.." And "that's a pretty guitar......" but like in that kinda snide "it's pretty but he probably can't play/sounds like $#it" etc but funnily enough I get no complaints after playing, and in fact just the other day I was playing with a cover band I'm with and the other guitar player (strat) commented "I need to adjust my tone or something to get as thick as yours so there isn't such a huge difference."
At the time I was playing my 22 soapy which is pretty stratish as it is.

I've had nothing but compliments from fellow guitarists, musicians and non musicians. I think they kinda fell out of favor following the mid-2000s or a reputation built up of such. Like anything, you know you make it big when you have haters. ;)

IMG_1652.jpg

hello
well all l can say is when l used to have my own Shop, I aways treated my customers with respect, and also used to say to my staff the people you meet and serve pay your wages its a thought l hope sunk in. in reality you can't please all the people all the time, but you can please most of the people most of the time. from my experience I found it was good to have feed back it lets you know then where if possible you can make changes
regards
Allan

My few experiences were much like Atomic's - not really hate although I have heard the term "Corksniffer" and "That's a real guitarist's guitar". (To be fair, all parties were smiling when they made their respective statements.) I have come to the conclusion after years of playing or owning almost every major brand that I am not really interested in someone's opinion - the guitar is a tool and it is up to us to make music with it. My CU 24s cover whatever musical adventures that I find myself in quite well, and they won't be leaving the guitar boat for storage anytime soon. Congratulations and enjoy your new guitar - welcome to the Forum !

Last edited:
I have been a PRS fan on internet forums for 15 years now, and people have been saying those sorts of things the entire time. I've yet to be told I play and sound like a talentless dentist at any of my gigs, however.

Outside of the internet I have found that casual guitarists typically have no idea about the brand and are very complimentary of the sound, looks, and playability when they get a chance to experience one.

I love how mine feel, I love how they play.
My PRS guitars make me want to pick them up and play more often.
What more could you want?
The fact that they sound and look awesome doesn't hurt either.

I ear you guys and wholeheartedly agree with your comment. I was just curious to ear if you had experienced similar attitude about your PRS guitar. We will enjoy our beautiful guitars all the same :D

I have been a PRS fan on internet forums for 15 years now, and people have been saying those sorts of things the entire time. I've yet to be told I play and sound like a talentless dentist at any of my gigs, however.

Outside of the internet I have found that casual guitarists typically have no idea about the brand and are very complimentary of the sound, looks, and playability when they get a chance to experience one.
I echo the same thoughts. If you personally like the way any guitar sounds, play it, enjoy it and don't look back.

Back