PRS Guitar Strings

Craig Clark

Hi All,

Few questions, when I first had my PRS SE Custom 24 I loved how this played, when I switched to D'Addario NYXL the same feel was not there.

I realised that the guitar prob had PRS guitar strings on, does anyone know what D'addario string is on there, as we know D'Addario make these for PRS, it is definitely not the NYXL or EXL 110.

Trying to find PRS strings here in Australia, is basically impossible, so I may need to order from overseas, just curious if I could get some D'Addario locally that had that same feel. Or if anyone in Australia knows anyone who stocks PRS strings locally let me know.

Thanks all

Craig

Hi All,

Few questions, when I first had my PRS SE Custom 24 I loved how this played, when I switched to D'Addario NYXL the same feel was not there.

I realised that the guitar prob had PRS guitar strings on, does anyone know what D'addario string is on there, as we know D'Addario make these for PRS, it is definitely not the NYXL or EXL 110.

Trying to find PRS strings here in Australia, is basically impossible, so I may need to order from overseas, just curious if I could get some D'Addario locally that had that same feel. Or if anyone in Australia knows anyone who stocks PRS strings locally let me know.

Thanks all

Craig

It's more likely the gauge than the brand. In the US, anyway, SE's come with .009 -.042's ("light slinky"). If you put .010's on it it will feel stiffer and will also likely require a change in the setup.

Well, it's not that, then. I would wonder, though since SE's are made in Asia, if they even use any special strings or just what's available locally.
For what it's worth, if you do wind up ordering overseas, there's a website called juststrings.com that's here in the states that has just about every string there is. My personal favorites are Thomastik-Infeld Blues Sliders : )

Good Luck!

Your not the first to wonder about the strings. Someone else started a lengthy thread on a similar theme. They tried both types of d'addario but they found the punchy thickness they had before was gone They ended up with Elixir nanowebs and said those brought their SE back to life. I Bought a pack of 3 sets and put them on my strat. Waiting for the original PRS strings to need changing before I try a set on my CU24 floyd.

I spoke to the store where I purchased the guitar a PRS dealer, and he said the strings were indeed PRS 9-42 branded strings, I changed over to NYXL, but the guitar doesn't sound or play the same. So I have managed to find some on an overseas site and I will have them shipped here. They may be made by D'Addario but they are made to different specs, as they feel and sound much different to the EXL 110 or NYXL that I know for sure. It all seems shrouded in mystery !!!

The question is, who makes the PRS strings? There's only a couple of string manufacturers.

I read somewhere, some years ago, that the PRS strings are pure nickel as opposed to nickel-plated. Has this ever been verified by anyone? Or is this generally accepted as being true?

If this is the case, then they appear indeed to be strings made to PRS specifications, as the D'Addario pure nickel set is 10-45 instead of 10-46.

I like slinky strings.

My fingers get tied up in slinky strings.

giphy.gif

Back