PRS Guitar Straps

Well yes and no. They are the same size an all the other straps. The buttons are extra large on purpose and they are intended to be used on any straps. They are supposed to be hard to put on so they don't come off easy. Folks who don't like them just replace them with strap locks.

Well yes and no. They are the same size an all the other straps. The buttons are extra large on purpose and they are intended to be used on any straps. They are supposed to be hard to put on so they don't come off easy. Folks who don't like them just replace them with strap locks.
Thank You for the information. I assumed the larger buttons were for that purpose. I can deal with that.

I don't have a PRS strap but I do have several heavier (thick) soft leather straps which usually involved enlarging the holes a bit. Mind you, I put Dunlop Strap-Loks on ALL my guitars (including my first and new PRS SC-594. The button holes on the straps definitely need enlarging to fit those buggers. After almost losing a Les Paul decades ago after a strap slipped off it's button, I started using these Strap-Loks. I call it cheap insurance.

I don't have a PRS strap but I do have several heavier (thick) soft leather straps which usually involved enlarging the holes a bit. Mind you, I put Dunlop Strap-Loks on ALL my guitars (including my first and new PRS SC-594. The button holes on the straps definitely need enlarging to fit those buggers. After almost losing a Les Paul decades ago after a strap slipped off it's button, I started using these Strap-Loks. I call it cheap insurance.
Do I understand that maybe you don't keep your guitars in the cases? Or do the lock buttons come off easily?

Do I understand that maybe you don't keep your guitars in the cases? Or do the lock buttons come off easily?
Typically the locking part stays attached to the strap and has a quick release to remove for casing, without them the button attached to the guitar acts like any normal strap buttons.

Typically the locking part stays attached to the strap and has a quick release to remove for casing, without them the button attached to the guitar acts like any normal strap buttons.
Exactly. There are several different variations of a theme, depending on your preferences. I like the Dunlop Strap-Loks, but they all will get the job done. You simply replace the strap buttons on the guitar, then attached the part that goes on the strap ends. Dunlop has a sort of plunger lock system. It works great and is secure. They do recommend a slight lube once a year.

I like to keep my strap locks simple.

41u2Btr6j0tL.jpg

Exactly. There are several different variations of a theme, depending on your preferences. I like the Dunlop Strap-Loks, but they all will get the job done. You simply replace the strap buttons on the guitar, then attached the part that goes on the strap ends. Dunlop has a sort of plunger lock system. It works great and is secure. They do recommend a slight lube once a year.
Thanks, I think I'll pick some up. Lonnie

As an update, I just received a soft, black leather PRS strap and did not have to enlarge the strap holes on this strap. The Dunlop Strap-Loks slipped in easily with no cutting or enlarging of the holes needed.

As an update, I just received a soft, black leather PRS strap and did not have to enlarge the strap holes on this strap. The Dunlop Strap-Loks slipped in easily with no cutting or enlarging of the holes needed.

Same here, but with the Schaller strap locks. The leather stretched easily to accommodate. I highly recommend the PRS straps.

I was not secure with original usa strap buttons. They are large, but also thin so I cannot fit my beer rubber sealing to secure the strap.
I didn't want to replace anything in my guitar.
I found D'Addario dual locks: they fit perfectly and are tigth but thin enough to fit. They holds also the guitar cable, if you want.

I've been all over with Strap locks. My preference is and was Shaller. Once I realized that I'm basically a home player now with increasingly rare outings. I just removed all the squeakers and returned to the original buttons on all of my guitars. I have a box full of Shallers with no where to protect..;-) In a fit of geekiness after acquiring my McCarty, I bought an expensive PRS croc strap with the eagle medallions. I still use it to this day on that guitar. It matches nicely and is always on the guitar.

Back