PRS guitar prices go up again.

Revelation

The Silver Sky was $2,495 and then it went to $2,649. Today when I went on Sweetwater, the price is now $2,749. I guess when demand is so high, they are taking advantage of the pricing. When you consider it already cost more than the Fender Ultra and Vintage II Stratocaster's, its a little disappointing to see another price increase.

Raw materials and parts have gone up in price consistently the past couple years. In every business across the board. It is what it is. Employee wages have gone up competing to retain quality employees. Every guitar maker’s prices have gone up.

I agree with what your saying but the price went up $200 last year and this year another $100. It makes it more difficult for many people.

If they were not so back ordered on guitars, would the cost be the same? If Paul said yes, then I would believe him.
I am not saying they are gouging people. I know cost go up and you have to pay workers well for them to say and live in Maryland. I am a big PRS fan by the way and feel they make the best electric guitars in 2023.

Last edited:
I feel I am now priced out of a new Core. My wife and I both work and make good money. I just have got to a point where its too much.

I am glad I had the chance to buy when I did, I have an amazing collection. I would not have it if I had waited. I do not feel that it is just a matter of keeping up with inflation. Supply and Demand have driven prices way up.

The last two I bought were used.

Prices are crazy everywhere. I don’t know if it’s justified, or if everyone went for the money grab while there was an excuse and just wont back down until it blows up. As mentioned, used prices are still stupidly out of line with value, and have had more success at stopping me from buying than anything has in 48 years of playing guitar. Even my wife has noticed that no large rectangular boxes have showed up in quite a while!

As long as people are buying, it’ll remain this way or worse. The market doesn’t change until buyers put their wallets away.

I feel I am now priced out of a new Core. My wife and I both work and make good money. I just have got to a point where its too much.

I am glad I had the chance to buy when I did, I have an amazing collection.

This is the main reason I am doing the SEs again. I had a killer collection of Core guitars but had to sell them when my ex-wife ran off. Life happened and I'm not in the market for Core guitars, new or used.

Maybe some day. But for now I'm at least thankful that the newer SEs are so much better and I can enjoy them just as much.

So...We Can Expect Price Drops When The "Supply Chain" And "Inflation" Issues Are Resolved? The Funny Thing About Pricing Is It Only Works One Way.
No going back down. I suspect that better dealer discounts could be available when demand goes down. In the same respect, in store prices can be better than what’s advertised online currently. Not necessarily across the board on all guitars at every dealer, but doing a little work and calling or emailing the store can save some money in some cases. I’ve rarely paid online advertised price on a high dollar item. On something like an MT-15, sure, the price is low to begin with.

No going back down. I suspect that better dealer discounts could be available when demand goes down. In the same respect, in store prices can be better than what’s advertised online currently. Not necessarily across the board on all guitars at every dealer, but doing a little work and calling or emailing the store can save some money in some cases. I’ve rarely paid online advertised price on a high dollar item. On something like an MT-15, sure, the price is low to begin with.
Wise words. Helps to be repeat buyers from dealers. They are much more likely to give some kind of loyalty discount if asked. And this is why PRS are from dealers and not direct. Gotta help those dealers stay in business by repeat sales. Also why I’m inclined to go to by local dealer to sell/trade in if I don’t love what reverb has to offer. Saves me the frustration of a sale. They make a profit and stay in business competing against major chains and continuing to bring in new and used PRS

I'm recalling that in 2020 and later in the pandemic, PRS went to the bank and borrowed heavily to keep the guitar workforce paid while they all stayed at home. PRS said at the time, 'We cannot lose our skilled workforce. We cannot replace these folks and what they know."

So maybe it's time to pay back the bank loan now that times are good again and demand is strong enough to raise prices. Because - again - PRS has a tremendously skilled and irreplaceable workforce, who (according to PRS itself) shares in a cash bonus system at the end of each year.

=K

I Know Prices Aren't Going Back Down. Once The Customer Pays At A Price Point That Price Point Is Cemented. I Would Never Pay List For Anything.

Stop buying new guitars. Period. Problem solved! I’ve owned 18 core models over the years, only 1 was new, and that was 11 years ago. Wouldn’t buy any guitar new anymore.
Well, the no interest for 2 years is what allowed me to buy a Core McCarty 594 and Silver Sky at Sweetwater. Granted I paid it off sooner than that but without interest free, I could not do it. I would prefer to support local stores but they only had a couple of PRS guitars in stock and generally not the color I wanted. They generally have a no interest option as well but not as good as Sweetwater but good enough that I could buy from them.

Stop buying new guitars. Period. Problem solved! I’ve owned 18 core models over the years, only 1 was new, and that was 11 years ago. Wouldn’t buy any guitar new anymore.
Makes it kind of hard for the best manufacturer of new guitars to stay in business if you won't buy any new guitars or amps from him.

I do buy mostly used, but I bought my Silver Sky new and my PRS HDRX amp head new.

And I brag up PRS to anyone who'll listen.

Well, gee, glad I bought my DGT when it was only ridiculously expensive and not grotesquely expensive.
Could've been worse...

Be glad we don't play the violin.

"How much is an expensive violin?​

While $30,000-$100,000 may seem “expensive,” in the professional violin world, that’s a pretty standard price to pay for the best quality violin.

What would be considered “expensive” in even the most advanced violin communities are those that are considered almost priceless, such as those made by Stradivarius, Guarneri, or Amati.

These violins can literally be millions of dollars! As of July 2019, the Messiah Stradivarius violin is considered to be the most expensive violin, at an estimated worth of $20,000,000!"

There are human beings in places who make decisions and take actions which directly impact the value of money, and as such, affect how much buying power your money has, both now and in the future. It's always Cause & Effect.

That being said, in the event I decide to sell any of my PRS guitars (or anything else for that matter), I will absolutely accept gold coinage in exchange for said item.

"Who is John Galt?"

Back