PRS Guitar of the Month 2016

Miss February!

25070178685_2ae18e3c4a_b.jpg

http://www.prsguitars.com/gom_february/

PRS Guitars Private Stock team is celebrating their 20th Anniversary this year with the return to the program that started it all: Guitars of the Month. Each month in 2016, the Private Stock team will deliver a unique design in limited numbers, highlighting the detailed craftsmanship and exquisite materials that define Private Stock.

February’s Guitar of the Month is the McCarty 594. Named after Paul’s mentor, Ted McCarty, the McCarty 594 pays homage to vintage “Golden Era” instruments while incorporating modern build techniques for an instrument that is at once incredibly familiar and effortlessly playable.

There are several details that PRS has incorporated into the 594’s design that contribute to the guitar’s tone and feel, including:

• A 24.594” scale length, just slightly longer than 24.5” and where the model gets its name
  • “58/15 LT” pickups. LT meaning low turns, which give this guitar a sweet lower-output tone
  • 2 volume and 2 push/pull tone controls positioned so players can roll off both volume knobs at the same time, and with the added versatility of coil splits for more tonal options
  • A new Pattern Vintage neck carve. This neck carve shares the same width measurements as PRS’s Pattern neck, but is slightly thicker front to back and features an asymmetrical carve with a little less meat on the treble side, a little more on the bass side of the neck.
  • Tweaked Phase III tuners that have an added set screw to pull the tuner’s shaft, gear, and worm together, but with the tuner button taken out of play, to promote tone transfer from the string directly into the guitar itself with as little energy as possible being detracted.
Twenty six of these instruments will be made for February 2016, commemorating Private Stock’s 20th Anniversary.

“The 594 is the best new guitar I've played in years. It has a vintage heart and soul but without the technical limitations that usually come along with an old instrument. What good is an old guitar if you can't get all that feel out of the upper frets, or the intonation is off? To hear that old PAF sound but be able to articulate the notes in a way that only modern manufacturing could allow is so exciting. This one's going all over my new record, because it sits so nicely between all of the sonic identities we all know and love. And it plays like a dream.”– John Mayer

Last edited:
This guitar looks and sounds killer!

Can't wait to get to the vault for my own build...especially now that I can get my favorite flavored chips there too!!!

My heart skipped a beat for a second when he said, "pattern vintage" ...was hoping for a new nice thick carve, but doesnt sound like its any thicker, just a different shape. Absolutely stunning guitar though.

It drives me completely insane and breaks my heart when you flip one of these beautiful, limited edition or one of a kind, very expensive Private Stock guitars and see cheap pieces of BLACK plastic on the back of it. Maybe it's just me, but I scream: "Why is it impossible to have matching pieces of wood for the covers on every Private Stock?" I'd rather have CLEAR plastic if it came down to it. Sorry for the rant, but it drives me absolutely crazy every time.

At first I kind of hated it. The two piece bridge looked wrong on a double cut, as did the Les Paul control layout.

But... after seeing it a few times and getting used to it I kind of dig it.

Wow...I may have to stay off the forum for the rest of the year. I don't have PS money, but damn these are some amazing guitars! >_<

It drives me completely insane and breaks my heart when you flip one of these beautiful, limited edition or one of a kind, very expensive Private Stock guitars and see cheap pieces of BLACK plastic on the back of it. Maybe it's just me, but I scream: "Why is it impossible to have matching pieces of wood for the covers on every Private Stock?" I'd rather have CLEAR plastic if it came down to it. Sorry for the rant, but it drives me absolutely crazy every time.

I like the wooden plates, too, and I think I understand your feeling that at that level it should be included. However, it is an added expense, and I understand giving the customer the decision to pay the extra cost or not. Wooden plates are an option on every PS.

Another consideration is that the back wood has to be thick enough to be cut and still accommodate the back plates. If not, and the customer still wants wooden back plates, they may not match the grain or would need to be cut from a different wood such as matching the neck wood.

Last edited:
I like the wooden plates, too, and I think I understand your feeling that at that level it should be included. However, it is an added expense, and I understand giving the customer the decision to pay the extra cost or not. Wooden plates are an option on every PS.
They aren't an option if the Mrs. is in the vault - she considers them a requirement. She also hates plastic truss rod covers.

Back