PRS Guitar Custom 24 USA model string break Issue

willkashi

Hello all,
I own a PRS Custom 24 USA model. I generally use the D'Addario 10-46 gauge set of strings.
exl110_2048x_7f77454a-ed76-4db9-9662-7c08ec4deefc.jpg

A week back I had to change my strings cuz the D string broke from the bridge.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XpTTmjZug0Bsot7YBaxyup5ZOx3NIY0J/view?usp=share_link

Have a look at this image. On 31st Dec I was at a gig, during the show the A string broke off from the bridge. Has anyone else been with this problem? Before changing the whole set I even removed the burs from the saddle, even then it broke "from the bridge". Can someone please suggest a permanent fix?
This is really disappointing. Also, this is not the first time it has happened. Once at another gig and a practice session too.

Have you tried any other brand or type of string? My nephew at one point was very heavy handed when he played which caused him to break an unusual amount of strings. He went with a little heavier gauge string and tried a different type of string and that cured it. Eventually, as his playing style evolved he was able to go back to the lighter strings with no problems.

I tried the PRS Classic Guitar strings, honestly, I wasn't happy with the quality, I don't know if it was the set of strings that I got was bad.
Also, I have tried the Ernie ball set of strings. I don't remember having any issues with it though. Does changing the gauge from 10-9 make a difference? Does it affect the guitar? Also is it recommended to use on a guitar that came with 10 gauge set?

It came with 10’s and the guitar was setup for those strings, but the great thing about guitars are that they are very adaptable to a wide variety of players. So yes, you can change the gauge of strings without hurting the guitar. The most you might have to do is tweak the setup a little or adjust the neck a tad bit using the neck truss rod. I’ve gone to heavier strings on guitars before and most of the time I have had to do nothing to the guitar.

Where abouts on the string did it break. For example, near to the brass ring, where the winds are wrapped near to the bridge.

The problem may exist where the string emerges from the trem plate.

From your photo, it looks like the string may make contact with the sharp edge of the trem hole, before it contacts with the saddle. This might be your point of breakage.

A gentle filing of the area where the string makes contact, just to remove the sharp edge may help.

I think @sergiodeblanc has mentioned this before.

Obviously you will need to remove the saddle to do this. Mark the intonation screw holding the saddle in, or count the number of turns you take to remove it, so you can replace it as it came out.

Good luck. Hope you find a solution.

Also welcome to the forum. Just for info, Imgur and Postimage are a little more forum friendly for photo sharing.

Would love to see some photos of your whole guitar, if you want to share.

Where abouts on the string did it break. For example, near to the brass ring, where the winds are wrapped near to the bridge.

The problem may exist where the string emerges from the trem plate.

From your photo, it looks like the string may make contact with the sharp edge of the trem hole, before it contacts with the saddle. This might be your point of breakage.

A gentle filing of the area where the string makes contact, just to remove the sharp edge may help.

I think @sergiodeblanc has mentioned this before.

Obviously you will need to remove the saddle to do this. Mark the intonation screw holding the saddle in, or count the number of turns you take to remove it, so you can replace it as it came out.

Good luck. Hope you find a solution.

Also welcome to the forum. Just for info, Imgur and Postimage are a little more forum friendly for photo sharing.

Would love to see some photos of your whole guitar, if you want to share.
Yes you are right. The sides of the saddle where the hole starts has a teeth like mark, the surface is sharp not smooth. Does sand paper work for filing the area?

Yes you are right. The sides of the saddle where the hole starts has a teeth like mark, the surface is sharp not smooth. Does sand paper work for filing the area?

I think you may need a small round file. Go gently, you may only need to take a small amount off to prevent the issue in the future.

Go slow.

From the look of the G string in that picture those were very ready to be changed. How old are those strings? That could be an issue. The bridge has plenty of wear on it. I would be surprised if there was a burr in a saddle after that much use, unless something damaged it.

Welcome to the forum Willkashi!
The advice Alnus has offered is spot on IMHO. A small high grit diamond file is the ideal tool for cleaning up the holes on the plate. Personally I would stay away from sand paper as you don't have great control.

In terms of the saddles they look like they could use a touch up in the slot too. If you are not confident is is a easy (cheap) job for a decent tech

(BTW D'addario make the PRS strings.)

From the look of the G string in that picture those were very ready to be changed. How old are those strings? That could be an issue. The bridge has plenty of wear on it. I would be surprised if there was a burr in a saddle after that much use, unless something damaged it.
I changed these strings on 28th Dec and it broke during my gig on 31st Dec.
And this same scenario happened few years back. I was at a gig. Same spot A string popped out!! Legit same spot. As you saw in the picture
And about the bridge this guitar was purchased in Dec 2017, I guess the gold polish came off.

Welcome to the forum Willkashi!
The advice Alnus has offered is spot on IMHO. A small high grit diamond file is the ideal tool for cleaning up the holes on the plate. Personally I would stay away from sand paper as you don't have great control.

In terms of the saddles they look like they could use a touch up in the slot too. If you are not confident is is a easy (cheap) job for a decent tech

(BTW D'addario make the PRS strings.)

The guitar tech here is best to keep away.
I'll be careful on this one. Thank you for the info. Btw do you face these issues frequently?

Back