PRS Gen 3 tremolo with locking saddles

Who Has One? Thoughts?
I have one that came on my 20th Anniversary of Private Stock model (2016).

Here are my thoughts:

The dang guitar stays in tune a bit better. I firmly believe that the locking saddle also creates a more solid 'fundamental' note (as opposed to overtones, though those aren't lacking). My PS20 is the best sounding guitar I've ever played or owned. I think that the Gen III with locking saddles is a piece in the puzzle of why it sounds so damn good. I have some great sounding PRSes, including PS models, so this is a high compliment.

I'd say the overall effect is somewhere between a stop tail and a trem guitar.

There's a tiny convenience tradeoff, in that you need to use a tool that comes with the guitar to change strings. But it's TOTALLY worth it.

Last edited:
I am curious...
Is this it?

Yup- this is mine, you can see it if you look closely at the bridge:

DR3O7Yg.jpg

Last edited:
The 2016 Paul’s guitar in my avatar has Gen III locking saddles and I severed a 1E string off by over-tightening it on first string change. The ball end fell out of the block but the string was intact and playable.

I replaced the string and gently tightened until it was secure before I tuned to pitch so I could learn how not to break it again. The screw isn’t very tight and almost feels too loose. An allen wrench develops a lot of torque in this instance.

Seems like the design has fallen out of favor as I don’t see it on any new guitars.

The 2016 Paul’s guitar in my avatar has Gen III locking saddles and I severed a 1E string off by over-tightening it on first string change. The ball end fell out of the block but the string was intact and playable.

I replaced the string and gently tightened until it was secure before I tuned to pitch so I could learn how not to break it again. The screw isn’t very tight and almost feels too loose. An allen wrench develops a lot of torque in this instance.

Seems like the design has fallen out of favor as I don’t see it on any new guitars.
Mine breaks strings like nobody's business. It doesn't matter if I lock the screws in or not.

Back