PRS Fret question

kes7u

Wife's husband and Dog's dad
Hello.

I had a little bit of time to play my new PS guitar today. I didn't specify frets for the guitar, but they feel the same as the standard core guitar frets. In turn, these feel very similar to the standard Gibson Les Paul frets. (and similar to those I have on a Schecter) These frets have an awesome feel. Just high and wide enough, and nicely rounded.

On the other hand, the frets on the McCarty Single Cut Private Stocks feel different than anything I've felt. They feel even higher than the core frets, but seem to have a flattened top. This makes them less rounded and more rectangular, and almost seems to create an edge that the string slides against. I feel like there is more friction with bends and vibrato due to this. Also, the height of the frets feels like it slows down my slides.

I haven't heard ANYTHING negative about these frets, (and in fact much of the opposite!) I love everything else about the guitar, and I'm thinking that perhaps I just need to spend more time with them.

Would be interested in any input, and if anybody has some actual fret sizes.

Thank you!
Kevin

Rectangular doesn't sound right at all -- PRS uses fret "wire", so it should be rounded from the get-go. At least, that was my understanding, after a tour of the factory at the 30th shindig.

Perhaps it was PLEKed? A little bit of history of the McCarty PS might help shed some light -- did you get it used? Also, if it's older, they may have changed something of which I am not aware, most of my knowledge of things PRS is within the last year or two.

This model uses a "jumbo flat" fret wire not used on any other model. I actually like it a lot..and requested it for a PS build...but everyone is different.

This model uses a "jumbo flat" fret wire not used on any other model. I actually like it a lot..and requested it for a PS build...but everyone is different.

It's used on the McCarty Singlecut, and is an advertised feature of the guitar. I have one and love the way the frets feel. Here's the quote from the PRS Website:

"With a thicker back for a more robust tone and “flat jumbo” fretwire lightly ground down to feel like an “old friend,” the Private Stock McCarty Singlecut embodies vintage tone and classic feel."

These are actually similar to Gibson frets of an earlier era (I have a '65 SG Special with something similar).

If I were you, I'd just get used to them, but you could always have the guitar re-fretted with something you like better.

Last edited:
So what does PLEK'ed mean? Heard the term used but not aware of what it is.

So what does PLEK'ed mean? Heard the term used but not aware of what it is.

The PLEK is a machine used to level frets, finger boards, and in some cases slotting nuts (and bridge saddles for acoustics) to optimize a guitar's playability. It's not just for older guitars, many manufacturers use it to set up their new instruments. Whether this adds any advantage over a properly built and setup instrument (like a PRS) is a subject of considerable debate. I have several non-PRS guitars that have been PLEK'd...I've never found them to be superior to my PRSi (or even contemplated sending a PRSi to be PLEK'd).

http://www.plek.com/en_US/technik/

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your input. I think perhaps the reason this has been such a different feel to me is that most of my time playing has involved picking up my PRS Bernie whenever I get a few minutes at work. That guitar has very small frets.

I don't think I'll consider a refret on the McSCPS at this point, as I feel there is a good chance I could end up liking this. I think I'll mess around with my technique and fretting pressure a bit to see where it takes me.

Thank you, again.
Kevin

One of the reasons I ended up with PRS is because they never seem to need to be plekked. I`ve had several other guitars plekked by Philtone Music in Baltimore. It does improve guitars not built to PRS standards.

Back