PRS fret ends over the years

json

I'm currently looking at picking up a PRS Hollowbody Spruce from the 2000s. One thing I noticed in the photos are that the fret ends look to be much more clipped and missing the smooth taper that you find on modern PRS guitars. Here is a photo of the fretboard on a Hollowbody Spruce following by a photo of the fretboard on my S2 where you can hopefully see what I'm talking about. Note that this isn't from the Hollowbody that I'm looking at but they both have similar looking fret ends so I don't think it's an anomaly. Maybe it's just hard to tell in the photos though.

Have you noticed a difference in the fret end treatment over the years or even between individual PRS guitars?

Hollowbody Spruce
tPTSlhi.png

S2 Custom 22
6QgfM8d.jpg

I think you could consider the older frets an advantage, as some players aren't precise enough to push either "E" string straight down when playing.
The frets appear to have their full shape closer to the edge of the FB.
Wouldn't this help with eliminating "pulling" the string off the edge of the fingerboard???

I sometimes have this issue playing with a DGT, as the neck is a smidge narrower.

I wouldn’t worry. The small difference you’re perceiving between these photos is down to perspective more than anything else.

This photo was taken a few inches from the fretboard:
1wsKkyx

This photo was taken from twice as far away but with 2x optical zoom:
GiiEtv9

The closer the camera is, the less rounded the fret ends will appear.

I never noticed a difference in actually playing them, but then I’m not one of those “sensitive to the most subtle variation” players. I can tell you that the McCarty Hollowbody Spruce is among the best playing guitars I’ve ever had my hands on. If I could find a second one at a reasonable price, my 1999 would be getting a stable-mate.

The only difference I've noticed is that the 594 frets are flatter, which is part of the design. Maybe, as one poster above said, the changes in neck carves play a role, if there is a difference now?

Since the frets are installed and presumably filed by PRS craftspeople, that might also explain tiny individual variations.

Then again, PRS is always refining the details. Interesting question!

If I could find a second one at a reasonable price, my 1999 would be getting a stable-mate.
You may want to check this one out then. I was in trade talks but the owner decided they wanted to sell instead. Looks to be nearly mint from what I could see. Don't think it's one with a Piezo if that's what you're looking for.

Damn, dude, I woulda jumped on that, for sure. Great price, these days. Nice grab, Rick
Oh yeah. I haven’t seen one, in any condition, advertised under $3300 recently… two are on Reverb with dot/moon inlays for $3700 now. Craziness. When I saw the price and condition on this one, I had to make a totally unscheduled stop.

I’ll do a NGD post when it arrives, showing the alter ego white one too. I may have to name them Ebony and Ivory!

Oh yeah. I haven’t seen one, in any condition, advertised under $3300 recently… two are on Reverb with dot/moon inlays for $3700 now. Craziness. When I saw the price and condition on this one, I had to make a totally unscheduled stop.

I’ll do a NGD post when it arrives, showing the alter ego white one too. I may have to name them Ebony and Ivory!
I’d go with the Spy vs. Spy guys!

Back