PRS fixed saddle bridge question (intonation)

LJD

Question for the folks with a non-adjustable stop tail bridges - Have you ever needed to adjust the small post screws for dialing in your intonation?

Yes.
edit: to expand - Usually when I have to tweak the truss rod. With the temp and humidity swings here, that's maybe once or twice/year. I have adjustable on most of my guitars though, so I may just need to move a few saddles a hair.

Last edited:
Question for the folks with a non-adjustable stop tail bridges - Have you ever needed to adjust the small post screws for dialing in your intonation?

Only if the intonation is off, that's what they are for.

Yup on setup usually once when I get them. No need to change unless I get a different string gauge or refret.

Yes.
edit: to expand - Usually when I have to tweak the truss rod. With the temp and humidity swings here, that's maybe once or twice/year. I have adjustable on most of my guitars though, so I may just need to move a few saddles a hair.

This right here. Also, I have had to do it when experimenting with different brands of strings.

Any difference in tone? I know that sounds silly, but I picture the screw pushing the pocket that fits around the post further away, therefore making less surface area contact with the bridge posts?

Any difference in tone? I know that sounds silly, but I picture the screw pushing the pocket that fits around the post further away, therefore making less surface area contact with the bridge posts?

But the strings put a tremendous amount of force in pulling the bridge down on the posts as well as putting a torque from the strings wrapping around the bridge, so no real loss of surface area contact there. That all had to be factored into its design, IMHO.

Only a very few times on some of the stoptails, and only once each. If you stick to the same tuning and string gauge, you really shouldn't have to do many adjustments.

Last edited:
No. The screw is probably touching some no matter what. You could get the tone pros locking studs if worried about it.

Be sure to loosen your strings before making bridge height adjustments, or that little intonation screw will score the post!

Back