PRS Finishes and Guitar Stand Question

BlackMoons

I have a large PRS collection and wish to rack them in a series of five- or seven-guitar racks, such as the ones offered by Hercules or Rockstand by Warwick. My collection includes a range of PRS finishes from the early poly ones to a first year Modern Eagle 1 to a first year DGT. With this mix of finishes, can anyone recommend a stand or rack which won't disfigure my PRS collection? I'm tired of just leaving them in their cases and having to kill myself just to play a different PRS. Thanks in advance.

You should be fine with most stands. Just remember that the nitro finished guitars won't play well with the fome tubing.

Alongway2go said:
You should be fine with most stands. Just remember that the nitro finished guitars won't play well with the fome tubing.

Right. I was hoping someone could recommend a stand with padding that would play well with the nitro and all the other finishes.

I've used the Warwick 7-Guitar Rockstand with nitro finished guitars and never had a problem. They are also fine with poly finished PRSi.

Is it the stand shown on the bottom right of this photo?

339131616.jpg

If so, it should be fine...

Jamie

I was just thinking this myself having just got my sc standard satin. I use the warwick stand and have been checking the finish every day out of sheer paranoia.

Glad to hear it should be ok. :D

For fairly inexpensive peace of mind I've been buying furry sleeves that fit over the foam-covered parts of my stands / hangers from the Sadowsky online store.

Jamie I think you need another guitar...............................

JMintzer said:
I've used the Warwick 7-Guitar Rockstand with nitro finished guitars and never had a problem. They are also fine with poly finished PRSi.

339131616.jpg

Jamie

:shock:

...Jamie...if that's your fiddle room...are ya lookin to adopt :p

I have that same Warwick guitar rack. Musicians Friend said it's discontinued and I was lucky to get it when I did.

solacematt said:
JMintzer said:

339131616.jpg

Jamie

:shock:

...Jamie...if that's your fiddle room...are ya lookin to adopt :p

I have that same Warwick guitar rack. Musicians Friend said it's discontinued and I was lucky to get it when I did.

Yes, and no. Yes, it's my music room/man cave, but it no longer looks like that. I'm down to only (and yes, I know the following # should not be used with the word only) 8 PRSi...

Plus, the "Tele Wall" has been diminished by 1/2. All of the Thinlines and the Seafoam are gone. But 1 or 2 snuck in to replace them... :oops:

339131620.jpg

Jamie

I use the Hercules stands and it's fine for the nitro used on Private Stock guitars. It also seemed fine for the nitro DGT I had for a little while, although when I bought it something had given it some nitro burn on the headstock.

I would be most wary of the Modern Eagle, they seem to be more sensitive than anything else. Maybe leave that one in the case?

JMintzer said:

339131616.jpg

Jamie

You hit the nail on the head, Jamie. That Warwick 7-Guitar Rockstand is the one I've been thinking about getting. I hate the idea of getting that nitro burn, and want to make sure I don't make a mistake. I'm surprised Shawn hasn't chimed in. Surely the guys at PRS have recommended guidelines on this, especially since they no longer will repair that kind of damage.

Twinfan said:
I use the Hercules stands and it's fine for the nitro used on Private Stock guitars. It also seemed fine for the nitro DGT I had for a little while, although when I bought it something had given it some nitro burn on the headstock.

I would be most wary of the Modern Eagle, they seem to be more sensitive than anything else. Maybe leave that one in the case?

Good to hear, Twinfan. I'm guessing if your PS guitars were undamaged with the Hercules, a first year Modern Eagle should be okay, too. It's an ugly gamble to take, though.

Exactly! I gambled with my gigging PS as I didn't mind if it gained some more "character". It already has a nice chunky ding on the lower bottom edge :oops:

I wouldn't chance it with my ME though...

I posted a question on BAM just before it went away specifically about the Quik Lok GS-471 and PRS finishes. A few people responded that they use the Qik Lok stands without any issues with PRS finishes ranging from poly to nitro.

I've had it a little while now, and no issues with any of my guitars.

7-in-rack.jpg

No issues with either the "On Stage" brand of floor stands or the Hercules upright hanging stands from the standpoint of finish reaction with either my ME1, or formerly owned nitro finished Tele, or with the "rubber blanket nitro goop" that Gibson puts on their Historic reissues.

-CM- said:
I posted a question on BAM just before it went away specifically about the Quik Lok GS-471 and PRS finishes. A few people responded that they use the Qik Lok stands without any issues with PRS finishes ranging from poly to nitro.

I've had it a little while now, and no issues with any of my guitars.

7-in-rack.jpg

Thanks, CM!

I use stands with foam padding. Only I bought some black cloth napkins to place over the foam for my nitro guitars. The black doesn't draw attention, and after a couple years, none of my finishes have been damaged.
Hope this helps,
Brad

Brad737 said:
I use stands with foam padding. Only I bought some black cloth napkins to place over the foam for my nitro guitars. The black doesn't draw attention, and after a couple years, none of my finishes have been damaged.
Hope this helps,
Brad

Definitely helps, Brad. That's a great idea. Thanks for your input.

Back