PRS Family Photo

Wait! There are other types of music?!?

I love my baritones, and play them often. As a second guitar, they give a different voice. When playing by myself, I often play the same stuff I play in standard, just down a fourth. It's the equivalent of holding a mini bottle of booze and pretending you are a giant!
I was going to get a baritone because the key in my head is invariably too high for my voice. Playing the same thing on a baritone would make it about right.

Last edited:
The one in my pic is one of the cheap folding ones with the skinny arms that everything falls through. These work great on it, and will hold through quite a few sheets of paper. Don't know why I didn't get something like that years ago!

Oh I see! That's great! They'd be especially nice for porch pickin' when there's a little breeze. Gotta get some.

I was going to get a baritone because the key in my head is invariably to high for my voice. Playing the same thing on a baritone would make it about right.

That sounds like a very reasonable supporting argument for getting a baritone! Or you could get a seven and then you've got lots of options. Maybe you'll need to get both and compare...

Haha, nice.
What kind of music do you play on your baritones?

When I'm playing in the acoustic duo, I tend to play a baritone to fill in the lower end. I try not to capo above the 4th fret in B-b or 6th in A-a. We've been backing a choir for a few gigs lately, doing some fairly pedestrian covers (Eagles, James Taylor, The Band, Pure Prairie League, The Mamas and the Papas). It works really well with another standard tuned guitar.

When I'm noodling or writing, I tend to be a bit more atmospheric.

Love the Rush references. Still one of my faves.

Last edited:
When I'm playing I'm the acoustic duo, I tend to play a baritone to fill in the lower end. I try not to capo above the 4th fret in B-b or 6th in A-a. We've been backing a choir for a few gigs lately, doing some fairly pedestrian covers (Eagles, James Taylor, The Band, Pure Prairie League, The Mamas and the Papas). It works really well with another standard tuned guitar.

When I'm noodling or writing, I tend to be a bit more atmospheric.

Love the Rush references. Still one of my faves.

Oh I'm sure your baritone adds a really nice texture! That's a cool idea for a duo. Do you play an acoustic baritone then? Another manufacturer that rhymes with Schmaylor makes an interesting 8-string bari with two additional octave strings on the D and G (or I guess the A and D!) strings. I'd love to get my hands on one.
Oh! Idea! PRS should make something like that!

Oh I'm sure your baritone adds a really nice texture! That's a cool idea for a duo. Do you play an acoustic baritone then? Another manufacturer that rhymes with Schmaylor makes an interesting 8-string bari with two additional octave strings on the D and G (or I guess the A and D!) strings. I'd love to get my hands on one.
Oh! Idea! PRS should make something like that!

I have that 8 String! It's really cool, but I hate finger picking it. Strummed or flat picked, it's amazing. I know people love or hate the Expression system. I think it sounds great on this guitar.

I've got Veillette bari and a custom build from Switzerland that share stage time.

Yes, a PRS 8 string bari would be awesome... and if it was an SE, it would be way more affordable than the Taylor.

I have that 8 String! It's really cool, but I hate finger picking it. Strummed or flat picked, it's amazing. I know people love or hate the Expression system. I think it sounds great on this guitar.

I've got Veillette bari and a custom build from Switzerland that share stage time.

Yes, a PRS 8 string bari would be awesome... and if it was an SE, it would be way more affordable than the Taylor.

Wow! Very cool. I've never even seen one in person I've just read about them and checked them out online. I can see how fingerstyle could be a bit annoying though.
Oh my I've heard about those Veillette guitars. They're stunning! You're a true baritone nerd; I'm more of a basement studio composer. Gee whiz, what else ya got? :)

Wow! Very cool. I've never even seen one in person I've just read about them and checked them out online. I can see how fingerstyle could be a bit annoying though.
Oh my I've heard about those Veillette guitars. They're stunning! You're a true baritone nerd; I'm more of a basement studio composer. Gee whiz, what else ya got? :)

Well, this seems like an invitation to revisit the Family Photos thread of yore. I don't want to clutter your thread, and I think we could all use a refresher on a few of the collections here! :D

I'll dig for it as soon as I can. Was it the Harem thread? Hmm. I'll also need to take some new photos. Soon...

Hans' harem thread, sans photos (Ixm now jonesing, Hans! I need my fix of the Black PTC One!):

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/the-harem-take-3.35238/page-5

Whaaaa? These are all part of one guy's PRS harem? Amazing! I'm at work, so I could only glance at the thread and will have to check it out later. Holy smokes. Now I see what bodia meant by "that's a good start". :) :) :)

Yes, Egads I would love to see photos of your harem with baritones front and center!

Non-PRS content, but with a couple PRS tie-ins!

uJn2NkG.jpg

a0GvCdL.jpg

The acoustics are a custom Brunner with three interchangeable necks (I've got a standard 25.5", a 27.7" baritone, and a 25.5" lapsteel), a Taylor GT-8 8 string, and a Veillette Baritone. The electric is a Scero protoype baritone. I don't know that he built another. I fell in love with the Taylor 8 when it first came out. This one came up used right before I ordered the Brunner. I love it, but struggle finger picking the damn thing. The Veillette came up (at GC, online) for a screaming deal right after I ordered the Brunner. My intention was to play it while I waited the year for the Brunner. Three years later, I still have it. The D-Tar pickup system is pretty cool, and it is a show-stopper, too.

Now, the tie-ins: The Scero lives in an old PRS Mushok gig bag, and sounds burly through the PRS Sweet 16+. The Taylor and Brunner have PRS leather straps, and look good in 'em!

Finally, the Brunner was ordered as a tribute to my father when he passed away in '17. I grew up hearing him play and started young, gave it up, then picked it back up as a teen. In '92, we were visiting family in Denver, and went to a small guitar shop. They had a purple CE and a dark, dark, dark whale blue Custom 24 on sale. Both prices were crazy low, and the Custom was a ridiculous steal. We played both for over an hour, and agreed that the CE was the winner (the dealer thought we were insane--I think they had the custom for only $50 more than the CE). This was the first high end guitar for him, and the first of a dozen PRS guitars. This first PRS started him on a fascination with eagles, leading to paintings and statues all over their house.

With his guitar collection and mine, I had to move out a lot guitars and amps (I still need to move a few more), but knew I wanted to order something in his memory. After moving a bunch of guitars, I ordered the Brunner with a custom inlay at the 12th fret. It's a really good representation of his favorite eagle statue. Both the standard and baritone necks have the inlay. I almost didn't do the eagle inlay, not wanting to mimic PRS. But, his love of eagles having been started by PRS, and it being such a strong image for him seemed appropriate. The angle was chosen to NOT look like any PRS eagles.

Oh that's a beautiful tribute for your dad. I'm so sorry for your loss but I hope that gorgeous guitar brings you happiness when you think of him as you're playing it. I love that his PRS guitars led to a fascination with eagles. My love of birds is one element of my attraction to the beauty of PRS guitars. And I think the bird inlays are because PRS's mom was a bird lover, right?
Thanks for posting pics of these stunning instruments. Now you need to add a PRS baritone to the stable? Semi-hollow?

I loved your post so much I'm commenting again. I zoomed in on the eagle. I LOVE IT! That Brunner should be renamed Stunner.

Thanks for the kind words. I think you are right about Paul's inspiration for the birds.

You are absolutely right about the SE baritone. I had my eye on a used 277 Semi-hollow, but didn't jump. Soon, I say. Soon.

Here are the two inlaid fretboard, pre-frets:

op3rnNS.jpg

Back