PRS Experience 2016 poll

bryanewald

player of guitars
Hey Folks,

I'll be conducting 2 clinics on Sat at Experience. Instead of guessing what topics people might like covered, I thought I'd throw it out there. I am game for anything. Below are a few general examples / topics that I tend to get questions about but feel free to add your own idea if there is something in which you might be interested. In addition, there will be some Q&A time, feel free to post questions here or throw them at me then and I will do my best to cover it.

possible clinic topics could include:
gear demos / comparisons on specific models
playing / instructional (i.e. looping, playing slide, stepping outside of the pentatonic over blues changes, connection chord progressions and diatonic scales, breaking down the fret board geometry and understanding CAGED. breaking out of playing ruts...

open to any other ideas or questions.

All the best,

Bryan

Slide - yes!

General soloing improvement as well. Never feel like I have a handle there.

I'd like to take advantage of being down at the factory, and as such, would prefer to have gear demos. Not that I don't like playing tips and lessons (I do,) it's just that we can get playing tips anywhere. We can't, however, get in-person sound tests just anywhere. That's my vote anyway.

Greetings from Spain, Bryan!

Harmonic movements is my Everest.
I'm good improvising with pentatonic and scales over a base, but a total wooden dummy when the time of creating or developing a base/rhythm arrives.

Advices? Paths or tricks?

Bryan, thanks for taking the time to find out what people want to hear/see.

I'm always into gear demos. Take something that most people have played/heard like a Custom 22/24 or McCarty and run it through each of the amps being made. It seems there are people trying to get a handle how PRS amps are voiced, they're general vibe, what they're capable of, etc. Finding them in stores can be tough.

Stepping outside of pentatonic" and "breaking out of playing ruts" while demo'ing that through PRS amps would be cool!

Greetings from Spain, Bryan!

Harmonic movements is my Everest.
I'm good improvising with pentatonic and scales over a base, but a total wooden dummy when the time of creating or developing a base/rhythm arrives.

Advices? Paths or tricks?

Well it's a big subject with many possibilities. Learn as many songs as you can. Learn to understand them with the Nashville numbers to get a handle on how chord progressions work, which will also give you a better understanding of which patterns and movements you like. Sometimes when I'm in a rut for ideas I'll start with the maj / min chords of a diatonic key, let's say E Major / C# minor (E F#m G#m A B and C#m) and make up 2 or 3 random progressions from the perspective of each chord. Make some long, using all or most of the chords. Make some 2 or 3 chords long. Use different tempos, feels and time signatures. You'll end up with a dozen to 20 different things to play the E major scale over.

Good thing this is happening in June, Shawn. If there was a blizzard, you'd be lost!!

I need to learn Wildfire, by Michael Martin Murphy.
That would be great.
Yeah, that would be great...

Not only am I working out the parts in my head now, but the song is in infinite rotation on my mind's internal iPod. Thanks a million, buddy. :confused:

:D

Back