PRS Dual Action Truss Rod Question

clcwarlock

I have always been under the impression that my core PRS guitars have a dual truss rod system in the neck. What I mean by this is 2 rods installed as one piece, one being shorter than the other that can provide back bow turning the nut tight or can provide relief loosening the nut. So I am asking, is dual action possible with a single rod? I am guessing only with a concave route built into the neck. See the video below around the 9:25 mark where Paul talks about truss rods. PRS website has always said they use a dual action truss rod. I am only asking because I find it fascinating that a lot of boutique builder opt for a single truss rod design. Since I have building more I been curious about this.

https://youtu.be/Ut4S-LRlPpk

Thanks, Bodia is correct. The single truss rod has threads on each end. The nut is not removable and attached at the top. So basically two sets of threads with two nuts and a welded nut at the end that turns the whole rod. The only thing I am not sure about now is what kind of a curved channel it is recessed in. Not at all like a Gibson single action truss and not at all like a dual action two rod truss rod.

Children, Children...(TONS of good jokes) ;):D:D:D:p

So, I love this science crap...(I'm not really too smart, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night)...
I have both tightened and relaxed PRS truss rods numerous times, and they absolutely work as advertised.
(My experience is on Core, and S2...I know I've tightened the TR on an SE and it worked great, as well. Not sure if SE's are double acting, though)
Also, I might add...with just a fraction of a turn making a noticeable difference.

Good timing on this thread, as I just noticed an issue on one of my cores...(GG5 Bass)...
When I tighten the nut (clockwise, oh and TWSS) to remove some of the neck's relief, it works fine, but when I remove the wrench/tool, the nut returns just a bit (Counter Clockwise) on its own.
The neck relief was successfully adjusted, mind you. I just haven't experienced/noticed this before.
Anyone else experience this????

Side note: I set my basses up with 45-125 nickel wound (5 String) , with pretty much a flat fingerboard...and I can say that PRS's fret work is frickin awesome.

thatswhatshesaid-black-750x750.jpg

Back