PRS DGT Standard Tone report and video

jetydosa

For those of you not over on VR forum, Im a previous owner of I think 5 DGTs in the past....Ive sold them off for various reasons but somehow I just keep coming back to this guitar!

I picked up a DGT Standard this week, after seeing Paul and Tony McM at the Atlanta Guitar Centers Collection clinic, this was the first Standard Ive played and I was blown away from the first note.

Ok so after playing it for a day or so now...my thoughts. I maintain my position that the DGT, basically takes from the Les Paul, Tele, and Stratocaster and rolls them all into one FINE guitar. And while you can hear elements of all three of those landmark instruments, it has its own unique voice at the same time. The Standard, at least in this sample size of 1, to me has a bigger emphasis on the mids, esp the D and G strings. It has a big mid push. However, it also seems to have a stronger low end thump than the previous DGTs Ive owned, as well as sweeter highs. I would say I definitely prefer the Standard over the reg DGT....but, again that could just be this guitar. And I demoed this guitar against another Standard and two McCarty 58s when I bought it, and this one packed their respective lunches. LOL. The only negative is I would say very SLIGHTLY has not as good of splits as my other DGTs, especially the Pink one....however they are still *ridiculously* as good!

Quick video...I start on the bridge pup with vol down to clean up...you can see me later switch to neck pup, then split the pups, and go back and forth. I apologize for lack of a narration but its pretty obvious.

Cheers and again, heres a :beer: to Paul and Mr Grissom for giving us such a fantastic instrument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8aZrY1Fd8c

Congrats those are very cool....the increased pronounced mids of the standard are the big reason why I personally prefer the regular DGT. Depending on the flexibility needed too much mid-emphasis does not lend itself to many styles..kind of like using a LP Junior...great for balls out rocking, but any kind of comping or cleaner, chimier things are not possible. Just one man's opinion.

The DGT Std is now my current favorite in my stable of PRS guitars. Congratulations on a fine instrument.

I was able to compare the standard DGT to my maple topDGT a few weeks ago and was very happy with the maple top. Just added a nicer dimension in the tone spectrum for me. The Standard was great sounding on it's own.....

Exactly...I love all mahogany guitars for rock but prefer the chime of a maple top for versatility.

I also like the STD over the original. Something about it just works better for me. I also agree that the split sounds are different. I am getting my old '08 DGT pups in tomorrow. I will include them in the GREAT AMERICAN PICKUP SHOOTOUT and see if I can tell a difference. They HAVE added some caps to the split tones on the STD. Those weren't there on the original.

Congrats those are very cool....the increased pronounced mids of the standard are the big reason why I personally prefer the regular DGT. Depending on the flexibility needed too much mid-emphasis does not lend itself to many styles..kind of like using a LP Junior...great for balls out rocking, but any kind of comping or cleaner, chimier things are not possible. Just one man's opinion.
Exactly the reason i went for the maple cap.... if i only played rock fine but i play right across the board. Happy with the maple cap DGT.

I believe there's room in everyone's stable for both a MT and Std DGT. I laughed when I saw CRGTG's post from 2012 because I know exactly what guitar he was talking about...just before I bought it 5 months later. ;)

I held off on buying a DGT because I thought it was just a CU22 with a fat body and an extra vol knob but after playing one a few months ago it has its own thing going on as far as the difference between the Hog and the MT my meter skills would prob not know the difference

Back