PRS DGT - any reason not to buy a new one over an older one?

Random Gecko

Perhaps the nitro finish? I'm looking at buying another DGT and there's a used 2009 locally, as well as a couple of brand new ones. Price not so much an issue, though obviously who doesn't like saving money?

Any advice welcome.

Do any them come in a finish you particularly like? I haven’t played any years other than my 2015 DGT, but I don’t see how it could be improved upon. Love the Phase III tuners.

I don't think that you will see any difference between the used one and what you currently have. I doubt that there is much difference between the used one that you're eyeballing and the new ones either. As with all guitars, there will always be subtle differences in tone, balance, etc. But the specs have remained constant.

Then again, I've never played a "standard" DGT. The only one that I have had my mitts on is my 2017 Wood Library DGT that has a few different specs from "standard" (Edit for the specs direct from PRS - Figured Artist Grade Maple top, figured maple neck, African Blackwood fretboard, etc) so it will sound a bit different. Incredible playing and sounding guitar!

Get this.....don't look back - https://davesguitar.com/products/paul-reed-smith/david-grissom-dgt-wood-library-limited-3/

Good luck with the decision!

Last edited:
how about considering the standard DGT, all mahogany no maple cap DGT
David Grissom says it makes it a little more midrangey and growl, more nasty.
quote by david
After playing my DGT’s almost exclusively for the last 5 years, I wanted something that had all the features we worked so hard on with the original DGT, but with the sonic character of an all-mahogany guitar. The all-mahogany guitars are more focused in the mids as a general rule, and have a nice chime and growl as well.

Perhaps the nitro finish? I'm looking at buying another DGT and there's a used 2009 locally, as well as a couple of brand new ones. Price not so much an issue, though obviously who doesn't like saving money?

Any advice welcome.

Onlyt got a used one cuz the new one would've went over the allowed compromise budget me and SWMBO agreed on.

And I love it.

had I the OK to order a new one, only difference would be birds though. Love the goldtop.

how about considering the standard DGT, all mahogany no maple cap DGT
David Grissom says it makes it a little more midrangey and growl, more nasty.
quote by david
After playing my DGT’s almost exclusively for the last 5 years, I wanted something that had all the features we worked so hard on with the original DGT, but with the sonic character of an all-mahogany guitar. The all-mahogany guitars are more focused in the mids as a general rule, and have a nice chime and growl as well.

Yes.
Must have IMO. I need one. I got to compare recently. very very cool.
early 2000's my gig rig was a Custom 22 and a 86 Standard 24.

I prefer no neck binding, no nitro and the Phase 3 tuners. That means used most likely but that is just me.

I was told I own the first black DGT sent to a dealer. Years later, I was told the neck carve changed on the DGT model, but to be honest, I love mine so much I've never bothered to check out other DGTs to compare. Sorry I can't confirm the changed neck carve claim.

You do know that “price not so much an issue” is code here for “I’m going Private Stock”....

Back