PRS DGT 2017

Kaborex

I just purchased a DGT and loving it. However, in the small clubs i gig and with the amp being so close, I am getting a bit of feedback when on fairly high distortion. The way I am getting rid of it is to try and move away from the amp, but also turning down on the treble. So all in all I am having to play with a darker distortion tone than usual.

Is that normal? I am new to humbuckers and never had that issue with my strat or Tele. I saw a video or read somewhere that the pickups are not wax potted as much. Could that be the reason? If so, what if any advice does anyone have?

If I could dial this tone in I would be perfectly happy:

Congrats on your DGT!

The pickups on the DGT are going to be hotter than those on your strat & tele, so i would expect it to feedback more easily.

And HBs are by nature a "darker" sound than the SCs of a strat. So you will end up needing to tweak your tone to get the same crunch you want while not feeding back.

Also, the pups might be quite high (close to strings), which also enhances feedback.

And finally, which amp? (It is ok if it isn't a PRS...for now...) Maybe someone can help you with a setting tweak to help dial in the sound you want without as much feedback.

Totally makes sense if you're using the same settings with the DGT that you use with your Strat and Tele. The humbuckers in the DGT will push the amp harder than the single coil guitars will. Instead of turning down the treble, try turning down the gain.

Congrats on your DGT!

The pickups on the DGT are going to be hotter than those on your strat & tele, so i would expect it to feedback more easily.

And HBs are by nature a "darker" sound than the SCs of a strat. So you will end up needing to tweak your tone to get the same crunch you want while not feeding back.

Also, the pups might be quite high (close to strings), which also enhances feedback.

And finally, which amp? (It is ok if it isn't a PRS...for now...) Maybe someone can help you with a setting tweak to help dial in the sound you want without as much feedback.

The amp is a Mesa Boogie Rectoverb 25. It only seems to happen on the bridge pickup. I supposed the neck is darker anyways and less prone to feedback because of the lack of high frequencies.

I have lowered the pickups already but I reckon the bridge could come down a touch more.

After lowering the pickups and turning the treble down slightly on the amp all is good.

The pickups on the DGT are going to be hotter than those on your strat & tele....
That is a massive understatement. They are beastly on 10, so don’t be afraid of turning down the guitar volume. And if you’re dialed in for single coils, you will want to back the gain down a lot on the amp and dirt pedals. And there’s nothing wrong with dark grind, just listen to David Grissom on Flim Flam, Way Down Deep, or Skimming the Surface. Oh mama...

I had o turn down the volume on all pedals to balance the sound. It is a powerful monster of a guitar.

Back