PRS designed for metal

singularity6

Some of the old PRS guitars had moon inlays. I was thinking - wouldn't it be sweet to have a PRS (SE or S2) designed for metal? I see two options:
  1. A Custom 24 with a Floyd, solid color, moon inlays
  2. A Custom 24 with a fixed bridge, solid color, moon inlays
Any thoughts?

ALL of my PRS guitars are designed for metal. That is their main job.
From my HB Spruce to my Singlecuts, Custom 22s...etc.
I have guitars tuned from E Standard all the way down to B Standard.
Use your weapons your way.

I do get your point and there has been a few designated metal PRS guitars over the years. More or less...
I am pretty sure people played the blues with them.:D:p

If you go back in PRS history, the custom 24 with VB/HFS does gain and metal very well. The hfs was too hot for me and got removed from my guitar. It’s a no brainer to remove the the VB. Have you tried plugging it in, or are you thinking it needs to be matte black with matte black hardware to be a metal guitar? The Dusty Waring signature will get you there in a hurry, as will the Tremonti. Let me know after you’ve plugged them in and played them. In the meantime, remember it’s what you actually play, not how many tatts you have and how you look. Oh yeah, the amp makes all the difference in the world with good metal.

ALL of my PRS guitars are designed for metal. That is their main job.

Yeah, I play metal on my SE Custom 24, too. I'm thinking about some cosmetics, is all.

no pickups?

Honestly, I don't think it matters all that much. The 85/15 S pickups sound fine to me. Pickup choice is subjective, and they're frequently the first (or only) mod one will do to a guitar.

If you go back in PRS history, the custom 24 with VB/HFS does gain and metal very well. The hfs was too hot for me and got removed from my guitar. It’s a no brainer to remove the the VB. Have you tried plugging it in, or are you thinking it needs to be matte black with matte black hardware to be a metal guitar? The Dusty Waring signature will get you there in a hurry, as will the Tremonti. Let me know after you’ve plugged them in and played them. In the meantime, remember it’s what you actually play, not how many tatts you have and how you look. Oh yeah, the amp makes all the difference in the world with good metal.

I personally shy away from signature model guitars. As I said above, the SE Custom 24 works just fine when it comes to the sound. My ideas were strictly cosmetic. Sure, cosmetic differences are exactly that. However, for most people, cosmetics have at least some influence on guitar purchases. While you can always find outliers, you won't see too many people playing jazz on a BC Rich or metal on a Danelectro.

Personally, I think the moon inlays with solid finishes would work well. From a production standpoint, the solid finishes would probably save the company money, as they wouldn't have to worry about the figuring on the top, or the veneer. Solid finishes also seem to be largely overlooked by the company. You see them on the Vela or Mira guitars, some of the S2 standards and a few from the premium lines (I've never seen a solid finished Core model in a store.) Historically speaking, PRS has done a great job closing gaps in their catalog from a price perspective. They've also been quite aggressive with marketing various models of SE (roasted maple necks, fade finishes, etc.) Who knows, there could be a market for this!

Nothing wrong with having a 'Blood red' and black flamed maple top, Ebony fretboard and headstock veneer and Birds for 'Metal'....

tcd1XuF.jpg

J5F8hRp.jpg

9f3DHez.jpg

Even has 'Metal' pickups....

Personally, I think ANY guitar can do 'metal' - Dave Murray (Iron Maiden) uses a Strat and Solar Guitars don't come with 'hot' pickups yet are considered 'metal' - not really hotter than 85/15's, 58/15's etc and Ola plays 'metal' on them!!

I really don't think it matters what inlays a guitar has - should they have upside down crosses? Pentagrams? I think the Sound and attitude of the player is far more important!!

is it so tough to find a black cu24 with moons if you don’t care about anything else?

I think you missed the point... It's not about something i want only for myself... I think it could be something that could sell in general.

Nothing wrong with having a 'Blood red' and black flamed maple top, Ebony fretboard and headstock veneer and Birds for 'Metal'....

tcd1XuF.jpg

J5F8hRp.jpg

9f3DHez.jpg

Even has 'Metal' pickups....

Personally, I think ANY guitar can do 'metal' - Dave Murray (Iron Maiden) uses a Strat and Solar Guitars don't come with 'hot' pickups yet are considered 'metal' - not really hotter than 85/15's, 58/15's etc and Ola plays 'metal' on them!!

I really don't think it matters what inlays a guitar has - should they have upside down crosses? Pentagrams? I think the Sound and attitude of the player is far more important!!

Yeah, any guitar could to metal... If looks didn't matter, all guitars would have the same shape and finish.

There is nothing wrong with the current offerings. My suggestion would add to the catalog... It wouldn't remove anything.

There is nothing wrong with the current offerings. My suggestion would add to the catalog... It wouldn't remove anything.

Apart from the extra cost of adding another variation to the product line and whether it would sell in sufficient quantity to justify the cost or not. Its not as if PRS are a 'massive' company and can make a run to appeal to a specific niche market concerned only about the aesthetics when playing in a 'metal band. They can only make a certain number of guitars a day as it is and they have expanded their product line in recent years already. If anything, it makes more sense to add a more generalised model that's different tonally than aesthetically.

It certainly hasn't affected Dusty Waring, Mark Tremonti or Mark Holcomb - all 'metal' players, all with signature PRS guitars and ALL with Birds....

pancake flat ebony fretboard, pointy horns, the devil, these are the things that matter, really. most people aren’t very metal.

i do remember the summer black hardware was reintroduced, and yeah it was all over the charvels and ‘heavy metal’ fenders, even the telecasters. god what an awful time.

If I was you, I’d get an old ce24. I see them in black fairly frequently. The price point should be good, and the quality will be super. Mine has the moons on it, so there’s that as well. Personally, I’m not a big Floyd fan. I had one on a metal Strat (maple neck & board- 24 frets). I got my first used core with a trem, and I haven’t looked back since. All my solid bodies are PRS. They’ll do whatever I want them to do.

Get a 10 top, some masking tape, and a can of black spray paint...

Just ordered my first PRS a cu24.. I intend to play metal on it. I was after quality, stability, comfort and easy playability. The pickups don’t need to be too hot as I have pedals and amps that will take care of that. As far as the looks.. I’ve seen cradle of filth and dimmu borgir playing them to name a couple

Back