PRS & delivery dates?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sculptair, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Sculptair

Sculptair New Member

I placed an order for my first PRS Custom 24-08 at the beginning of November for a guitar that the retail outfit said was arriving the first week of December. They are now telling me that it could be next week, or next year. How is PRS at meeting delivery dates on orders?

2. BrianC

BrianC more toys than talent

My guess is that its a - best guess situation. There are many stories of long waits on some items, but I am sure those are the ones you hear about. Prompt orders go unnoticed.

Sculptair and veinbuster like this.
  3. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

True. I have also heard about some arriving early but those are rare. In general, there was a long wait time when they were backed up with Silver Sky and 594 backorders, but I think they are a little more current now. I think that only because I haven't been hearing about the long wait times lately.

Sculptair likes this.
  4. Sculptair

Sculptair New Member

Unfortunately the ETA has now been changed to April 2020. I don’t like playing this game...so I’ll move on.

Black Plaid likes this.
  5. Ovibos

Ovibos Naughty Wood Librarian

6. Sculptair

Sculptair New Member

Thx for the links Ovibos. I just laid down my treasure on a beautiful Autumn Sky that I saw there. Looks like I'll join the PRS club yet this year!

7. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

That's awesome! Congrats!

8. Shawn@PRS

Staff Member Moderator

Our typical backorder ranges from 12-18 months on core guitars. Non-10 tops are at the 12 month range, Artist Packages are at the 18 month range. If a dealer promises anything less than this, they must have existing orders already in the pipeline that they are expecting to deliver soon.

9. Tony M.

Tony M. New Member

...at the risk of sounding like a dinosaur (which I am)

What ever happened to go to the store,
    try the guitar and if you like it you buy it?

I know this doesn't work with a custom order but
    a good high end guitar store will have a bunch of
    very nice PRS guitars in stock. No waiting.

Do people do that anymore or am I alone?

jjpish68 and Black Plaid like this.
  10. Black Plaid

Black Plaid just another Alan

One of my favorite things to do is go into my local shop and play any and every thing they have that looks interesting. It's led me to buy a few things from them, and I believe it's good to have a rapport with shops like this. They always give me a heads up when there's something they think I would like coming in.

Still tho, I buy stuff off the net, PRS quality in the US models isn't like a lot of other brands where you get wild variance in playability and construction.

bodia likes this.
  11. rpoce24

rpoce24 New Member

PRS stock in stores tends to be notoriously thin, especially with American made new guitars. I can usually find some SE’s. But, when the US stuff comes in they are often presold, or just do not stick around. A local store by me has several used PRS’, that have been around for some time, but two of them are listed as $2000 plus with some obvious blemishes, so not the easiest sell. They now have a very nice S2 custom that is very tempting,and a Santana SE, that for whatever reason just won’t move.

For new the large online retailers seem to be the only reliable source for stock instruments.