Prs custom 24 vs les paul

Different beasts.
You'd be better of comparing the gibson to a Sc instead.
The CU22 is a modern super strat combining the best from F&G with a modern sound.

Ok fair enough alarik I ask mainly
Because I have a prs custom 24 hfs zebra/ vintage pickups 2007 very nice small body guitar and I have a les Paul supreme also lovely I've bin thinking of selling one of them,
The prs is guitar shop Condition not a mark on it and I've bin trying to find a similar one online and I can not see nothing the same.

I've gone through all of the Gibson LP high end models for many years, including one of the first issued Supremes. They are indeed beautiful guitars, but I found the neck just a wee bit too thin, and I found that I didn't care for the back of the body being arched. It put the guitar into a strange position while playing standing up for me.

As far as the PRS being in showroom condition, if you already own it, I would play it and enjoy it. I've been playing for over 59 years, and still play live. One thing I've learned is that I will never buy a guitar and keep it in the case, only to sell it off later on. First off, why would I spend top dollar for a brand new piece, store it in pristine condition, and then sell it at a loss, only so that someone else can get a great deal on it and take it out an play and enjoy it?

Honest wear is not the same as intentionally not taking care of a guitar. Poodoo (star wars language;)) occurs while playing, and this is totally normal. I've had guitars that get swirl marks, little tiny dings to the guitar, and of course, worn frets and worn rosewood fret board marks and divots. While I was brought up to respect my gear by my parents, one cannot expect a played and enjoyed guitar not to show signs of that enjoyment.

if you have a very special PRS, and have not been able to find a similar one, just play the one you have and maybe, after awhile you will either come across another PRS that you like and desire equally as well, or maybe even decide to have a private stock built.

I have never owned a PRS, and where I live, I have only been able to play two S2 guitars. Still, I ordered a private stock and went through the wood choosing, etc. over the phone while Paul Reed Smith, and my dealer were in the ps vault. It was an exciting experience for me, even though I was not able to be in the vault at that time. I can tell you that I plan to play this guitar out in bars and wherever, and not worry about it's condition getting altered by honest wear, and enjoyment. In the end, it is a guitar and meant to be played and enjoyed.
Good luck in your search for another PRS, and happy holidays. :)

I've gone through all of the Gibson LP high end models for many years, including one of the first issued Supremes. They are indeed beautiful guitars, but I found the neck just a wee bit too thin, and I found that I didn't care for the back of the body being arched. It put the guitar into a strange position while playing standing up for me.

As far as the PRS being in showroom condition, if you already own it, I would play it and enjoy it. I've been playing for over 59 years, and still play live. One thing I've learned is that I will never buy a guitar and keep it in the case, only to sell it off later on. First off, why would I spend top dollar for a brand new piece, store it in pristine condition, and then sell it at a loss, only so that someone else can get a great deal on it and take it out an play and enjoy it?

Honest wear is not the same as intentionally not taking care of a guitar. Poodoo (star wars language;)) occurs while playing, and this is totally normal. I've had guitars that get swirl marks, little tiny dings to the guitar, and of course, worn frets and worn rosewood fret board marks and divots. While I was brought up to respect my gear by my parents, one cannot expect a played and enjoyed guitar not to show signs of that enjoyment.

if you have a very special PRS, and have not been able to find a similar one, just play the one you have and maybe, after awhile you will either come across another PRS that you like and desire equally as well, or maybe even decide to have a private stock built.

I have never owned a PRS, and where I live, I have only been able to play two S2 guitars. Still, I ordered a private stock and went through the wood choosing, etc. over the phone while Paul Reed Smith, and my dealer were in the ps vault. It was an exciting experience for me, even though I was not able to be in the vault at that time. I can tell you that I plan to play this guitar out in bars and wherever, and not worry about it's condition getting altered by honest wear, and enjoyment. In the end, it is a guitar and meant to be played and enjoyed.
Good luck in your search for another PRS, and happy holidays. :)

Hi thanks very much for the info i will plug it in later and have a go.
I have a les Paul supreme and a Martin 28 acoustic, recently inherited a few nice guitars one of them being this prs custom 24, a gretsch falcon and les Paul custom shop.
A/ running a bit low on a space as I have young kids.
B/ I wouldn't mind selling one of them for the money aspect.
C/ I don't have time to play them all .
So from that point of view I was looking to sell the prs as it's in such amazing condition but from what I've bin reading the prs guitars aren't as desired as they where a few years ago.
Hope you enjoy playing your gigs something I've not had the balls to do yet and I'm 25 bin playing nearly 15 years.

I agree that they are completely different beasts. Which is best for any one person is very personal. I like having both a Les Paul and a CU24.

My guess is that for you, the Les Paul is the one to keep. It was your choice and you liked it enough to keep it. The PRS was someone else's choice. Definitely try it out to see how you like it, but go ahead and turn it into cash.

This is just my opinion but Gibson guitars don't hold a candle to PRS. I've had a few and they all went away.

Again my opinion, you may be missing out by judging your PRS with the HFS pickup. There are a lot of folks here that do like it but I'm not one of them. All of the Vintage inspired pickup from PRS are fantastic and are definitely worth checking out.

Good luck.

One thing I've learned is that I will never buy a guitar and keep it in the case, only to sell it off later on. First off, why would I spend top dollar for a brand new piece, store it in pristine condition, and then sell it at a loss, only so that someone else can get a great deal on it and take it out an play and enjoy it?

Man, I needed to chat with you five years ago. :eek:
Now I'm in that position ... a few gorgeous PRS guitars, but I can't play them all and they sit in their cases.
I gig a lot and my only guitar for the last five years has been my PRS Studio, with the NFs and 57/08.

I just spent a couple of hours trying my one out and comparing it to a couple of other guitars I have it does have some nice tones I will admit. Might have to consider keeping her and selling one of my to les Paul's as it's nice to have a bit variety I supose.
What amps are you guys running your prs with ?

While 594 are cool I can't help but feel they're so similar to LPs. Not that other manufacturers don't do the same. Everybody's raving about them but sniff at LPs. I'll stick to the "real" PRS - my custom 24s. In any case... I think if you want an LP type guitar, get an LP - they have a honky grunt that's hard to replicate. However I am a PRS guy and don't think you can beat prs quality.

I just spent a couple of hours trying my one out and comparing it to a couple of other guitars I have it does have some nice tones I will admit. Might have to consider keeping her and selling one of my to les Paul's as it's nice to have a bit variety I supose.
What amps are you guys running your prs with ?

Good for you! I agree with enlarging the tonal palette.

I play a few amps. A Mesa Lone Star, a Mesa Single Rec, a Fender HRD (clean channel), a PRS "H" and a PRS SE 50 (think Marshall).

This is just my opinion but Gibson guitars don't hold a candle to PRS. I've had a few and they all went away.

If you are comparing "production" Gibsons, I agree with your statement. If you are comparing Gibson custom shop especially those made 2013+, I respectfully disagree. PRS guitars are incredible and consistent, but every custom shop Les Paul I've played since 2013, and many prior, are also incredible and consistent.

Hi 11top

How would you compare PRS private stock against GIbson Custom shop? Which is better build wise and quality control?

If you are comparing "production" Gibsons, I agree with your statement. If you are comparing Gibson custom shop especially those made 2013+, I respectfully disagree. PRS guitars are incredible and consistent, but every custom shop Les Paul I've played since 2013, and many prior, are also incredible and consistent.

I've never played a custom shop Gibson so I have to take your word for it.

I do feel that any manufacturer that puts out a product should at least put out a product that doesn't need attention right off the bat. My last LP classic didn't stay in tune very well and didn't intonate very well.

I would liken it to buying a new 20,000 car but having to tune it up and put new tires on it or buying a new 50,000 car to avoid that.

A PRS SE should be ready to go the second you pay for it.

I've never played a custom shop Gibson so I have to take your word for it.

I do feel that any manufacturer that puts out a product should at least put out a product that doesn't need attention right off the bat. My last LP classic didn't stay in tune very well and didn't intonate very well.

I would liken it to buying a new 20,000 car but having to tune it up and put new tires on it or buying a new 50,000 car to avoid that.

A PRS SE should be ready to go the second you pay for it.

I don't disagree. I didn't want to say I wouldn't buy a production shop Gibson because 1) I don't want to appear snobbish ;), and 2) there are some good production Gibsons. However, I'd never buy a production Gibson without inspecting it and playing it first. On the other hand, I'd buy a Custom Shop LP starting in 2013 and beyond because I've played a bunch and they are consistently good. That said, PRS is consistently top notch across all its lines. Nobody makes a quality production instrument like these guys.

Last edited:
I have a 2004 les Paul supreme ebony and a les Paul custom shop tree of life I think the it's a 2007 but I could be wrong by a year.
I would say the prs is a little bit more versatile. I haven't played a les Paul 2013 + I'll have to have a look out for something ,

I don't disagree. I didn't want to say I wouldn't buy a production shop Gibson because 1) I don't want to appear snobbish ;), and 2) there are some good production Gibsons. However, I'd never buy a production Gibson without inspecting it and playing it first. On the other hand, I'd buy a Custom Shop LP starting in 2013 and beyond because I've played a bunch and they are consistently good. That said, PRS is consistently top notch across all its lines. Nobody makes a quality production instrument like these guys.
Fair enough.

I will say I have bin trying to find a prs custom 24 in Mateo blue with the hfs zebra / vintage pick ups from 2007 on the internet to see what there worth now but I can't find one the same as mine wich to me makes it more special as there a bit more unique.
As if I was trying to find a les Paul or a gretsch like i also have I would probably be able to pick one up easy.

Back