PRS Custom 24 Swamp Ash identification

BoogieV

Hi all. I am hoping someone with knowledge of recent Custom 24 model variations will be able to identify the line that are advertised as Ikebe Original Swamp Ash Custom 24's (eg. SN 232131). As a new member I will need to wait before posting a link :).

These guitars don't seem to be part of the Swamp Ash Special or 30th Anniversary lines I don't think. Can anyone confirm which exact model these belong to? Cheers

I've seen some from Japan on eBay. Dealers over there do special runs from time to time.

Looking forward to some pics. Looked like a great run from what I've seen.

I've seen some from Japan on eBay. Dealers over there do special runs from time to time.

Looking forward to some pics. Looked like a great run from what I've seen.

Thanks for your reply. This makes sense as I have seen some advertised as "Ikebe Original" etc. Perhaps these Swamp Ash bodies are surplus from the earlier Swamp Ash Special models?

I have seen pics of mostly two piece but also some three piece bodies. Just curious as to whether PRS is known to produce many 3-piece bodies for their US models?

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. This makes sense as I have seen some advertised as "Ikebe Original" etc. Perhaps these Swamp Ash bodies are surplus from the earlier Swamp Ash Special models?

I have seen pics of mostly two piece but also some three piece bodies. Just curious as to whether PRS is known to produce many 3-piece bodies for their US models?

No, these would be new bodies. PRS build off of orders, so they don't keep a lot of extras. The SAS and CU24 are very different builds anyway.

They pretty much always use multi piece for ash, except Private Stock. I guess whether it's two or three just depends on what lumber they can get.

I'm terribly curious to hear a sound sample. Ikebe is a music store known for their PRS special runs. Did you get one of the sacred blue ones, or the red? I've been looking at a blue one for a month now.

I'm terribly curious to hear a sound sample. Ikebe is a music store known for their PRS special runs. Did you get one of the sacred blue ones, or the red? I've been looking at a blue one for a month now.

I have tried one and it sounded incredible; very articulate, although it is the first PRS with 85/15 pickups I have played.

No the one I tried was a sunburst however they haven't listed the finish. I believe it may be a Mccarty Sunburst with a figured maple neck.
YAKwwAy

YAKwwAy

https://imgur.com/gallery/YAKwwAy

I'm having trouble with posting an image so I hope it is OK for me to post the link above.

Last edited:
Any other thoughts on these models? Possibly pulling the trigger on one soon.

One of the 2013 PRS Experience models was the Custom 24 Swamp Ash Special. It had a Swamp body, pattern thin maple neck and fretboard, uncovered 57/08 pickups and limited to 30 in three colors (vintage natural, red, walnut). Mine has a serial number of 13 203884. I am wondering if the one referred to by the OP is part of this same series.
47939102118_f86db7c0b6_h.jpg

47939090997_ff67a27d2d_k.jpg

Last edited:
One of the 2013 PRS Experience models was the Custom 24 Swamp Ash Special. It had a Swamp body, pattern thin maple neck and fretboard, uncovered 57/08 pickups and limited to 30 in three colors (vintage natural, red, walnut). Mine has a serial number of 13 203884. I am wondering if the one referred to by the OP is part of this same series.
47939102118_f86db7c0b6_h.jpg

47939090997_ff67a27d2d_k.jpg

The burst model I am looking is a 2016 model with 85/15 pickups, but otherwise very similar specs. That is a very nice guitar you have there.

Would you think the model I have linked further up is vintage natural?

Looks similar but may be different lighting to this: https://imgur.com/gallery/YAKwwAy

Any thoughts on the finish/grain of this one?

Looks like McCarty Sunburst to me. It might be a three piece body. One seam is obvious (above the pickup rings) and there may be one that runs between the bottom of the toggle switch and the top of the volume knob. Some swamp ash seams are hard to detect in pictures. The number of body piece is mainly aesthetic and not functional or tonal in nature. I have seen plenty of PRS Swamp Ash bodies made of three pieces.

Looks like McCarty Sunburst to me. It might be a three piece body. One seam is obvious (above the pickup rings) and there may be one that runs between the bottom of the toggle switch and the top of the volume knob. Some swamp ash seams are hard to detect in pictures. The number of body piece is mainly aesthetic and not functional or tonal in nature. I have seen plenty of PRS Swamp Ash bodies made of three pieces.

Definitely a three piece, and I agree.

Back