PRS Custom 24 SE Tuning Issues

strat123

Hi, I'm strat123 and I do love strats and teles. I'm from the D.C. Metropolitan Area and I just bought a PRS Custom 24 SE. I played it tonight and I have run into some tuning problems when I bend the strings. I was not surprised by this because I have read about other people having the same problems. Any advice on solving this propblem would be greatly appreciated. Anyway, I love the guitar and I can't believe I only paid $670.00 for it I wanted an American PRS Custom 24 but I could not pull it off because of financial situation.
a
b
o
u
t

o
h
r

Welcome and congrats on purchase. Hopefully someone who knows more than me will chime it to help your problem

What string size are you using? If any larger than 9's, the nut isn't cut for that size and the strings are probably binding.

right now I'm using DR Pure Blues 9-42 I think the problem may be the nut on the guitar.

Most likely to be the nut. Look around for some "nut sauce" or similar guitar lubricant and try it out. Staying with 9s and the lubricant completely solved my SE's binding nut problem. :top:

I and many others have experienced bad consistency with DR strings, just saying, ymmv...

Always worth trying a new set of strings. Give them a good stretch and try some pencil graphite in the slots.

Worth checking that the 6 screws are all level on the trem. They should be.

Chances are - as others have said - it's the nut causing the issues.

You can buy a small tube of powdered graphite at a hardware store for about a dollar. Apply some to each string slot on the nut when you put each new string on. I also put some on the saddles where the string touches but I don't know how much this helps, but I do it. This helps tremendously to prevent string binding at the nut.

I also do not prefer DR strings because of tuning problems.

I put a direct drop in set of Grover 406c mini locking tuners on my PRS SE Singlecut Tremolo guitar and they work great. I think they are the best locking tuners I have and they are automatic, no knob to turn or come loose.

Since I installed the drop in locking tuners on my Singlecut Tremolo it stays in tune incredibly well. It "seriously" stays in tune for long periods of time and drifts only slightly when it does.

You have to break in new strings to get the slack stretched out of them. I'd try some different strings from a major company and stay with nines at least for now until you get tuned into the guitar. Make sure the strings are seated good in the bridge at the barrel ends.

You should have this worked out without any major problem, even without locking tuners. The stock tuners on my new SE Santana work great but not as steady as the locking ones.

First, about DR strings. I've been using Dr strings for almost 10 years and never had a problem with them. However, a bass player friend of mine who lives in Portland has been experiencing problems with those strings on his bass. I've also heard others complain about them. All I can say is that I use them on my strats and teles and have had no issues with them. On the same token I am not saying that those who have experienced problems are saying something not true. It may also be that DR strings do not work well with PRS guitars. I don't know. I followed maxtuna26's advie abot using string lubricant and it worked.

I

f
o
l
l
o
e

Back