PRS Custom 24 s/n 8 4929

Tomcat

Hello everybody, it's Tom from Poland.

I would like to check if this is real thing, if you know anything about this seller and guitar, maybe. Any helpful comments apprecciated:

Edit: I just haev read that I should not post the links yet, anyway - in this thread is necessary, I hop eyou can forgive me:)
https://www.ebay.pl/itm/1988-PRS-Paul-Reed-Smith-Custom-24-Birdseye-Top-Black-Sunburst-Birds-Inlays/282700884546?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

s-l1600.jpg

cGF0aDpyanZmZW5kZXIwMDkvRFNDMDM2MzQuanBn

Can't say for sure if it's legit from a single photo ........but, appears to be a 1988 custom 24 with sweet switch and labeled T and B pickups.

What is your concern?

I am thinking to buy it - I don't know if you can see the ebay link because I am new at Forum. There are many photos on the auction page - abay item number is: 282700884546
What do you think about price and overall description?

Just careful check if everything is all right with this baby.

I am quite new to PRSes, I did have one CE22 from 1991 and I loved it but was forced to sell. Now I would like to get back to the club. Only "prefactory" years.

Certainly looks legit.
If it isn't, then someone has gone to a LOT of trouble to create a perfect fake of a 30 year old guitar... which isn't likely.
I'd say it's legit.

My level of knowledge doesn't extend into sniffing out fakes really, but based on what I see I have no reason to believe that's not as advertised. The seller has a decent number of transactions recording 100% satisfaction so that should count for something. Interesting to see the font on the paperwork, looks like it's been pulled from a typewriter - which in 1988 it may well have been!;)

OK thanks a lot guys, I let you know if I get it.

What do you think about price - also fair for that guitar or a little pumped up?

Went to the listing, looks legit to me. Pickups are probably Vintage Bass and HFS white labels must of fell off at some time and thrown out. 1988 serial number for that year seems legit.

OK thanks a lot guys, I let you know if I get it.

What do you think about price - also fair for that guitar or a little pumped up?

2,990Euro in USA dollars its approx. $3,700 a little steep in my mind but in price range for others I've seen advertised in similar condition from those early years. The guitar looks in decent condition, don't forget it's 30 years old and played, dented headstock horn, cant see buckle rash in pics but there must be some. The Tremolo bridge has minimal wear and no tarnish which is nice. Can only go by photos... Price is up to you.

I've owned a couple fairly near this serial number and it looks legit to me based on what I can see. Pickups are most likely blank-back Standard Treble and Standard Bass from what I can see - the poles on the treble high E and B look like they have the warming mod. The case looks period-correct, ditto the paperwork, which was just cut sheets back then. Tuners, trem block plus trem arm all look like I'd expect and there is an asterisk in the neck PU as you'd likewise expect for this period (note this is different to the Mike D star found on earlier guitars). Doesn't look like the sweet-switch hole has been drilled as there's no washer visible, which suggests the wiring has probably not been messed around with (but see questions, flowing). Questions - I'd want to see a shot of the control cavity wiring to be sure the PUs haven't been out and then put back in. The neck PU shot also shows a lot of buffing compound and has more overspray than I'd normally expect - I'd want to investigate that more - prob legit but I'd ask some questions about any mods / changes and ask for a better picture. The fretboard will be BRW, which may cause issues moving it around (and if you decide to sell it at some point in the future) if there's no CITIES cert.

Looks legit, you can see a lot of filler around the birds which was the norm back then since there was more hand work. I have an 88

The seller is a dutch guy. I've seen several other guitars he's selling. It's not a shop as far as I know. It looks like he's buying and selling with some profit.
Give him a call, most dutch speak english :D

Last edited:
T and B are actually the pickup designations before VB/VHS. I'd probably sell both kidneys to get a bird's eye maple top in any color. I don't know what prices are like where you are. That would be a lot in Maryland, where I am, unless it's mint condition. Then the price would be justifiable in the US. The guitar looks fine and authentic to me.

Nice looking guitar! There was a thread about mojo. This looks like it’s got loads!

Good luck with your purchase.

We will need to know if you buy it. I look forward to your NGD (New guitar day).

3700 in my opinion is top end of the market for that. He does appear to be willing to entertain offers so shoot him a lower offer see what happens.

Good luck, sweet guitar for sure.

I've owned a couple fairly near this serial number and it looks legit to me based on what I can see. Pickups are most likely blank-back Standard Treble and Standard Bass from what I can see - the poles on the treble high E and B look like they have the warming mod. The case looks period-correct, ditto the paperwork, which was just cut sheets back then. Tuners, trem block plus trem arm all look like I'd expect and there is an asterisk in the neck PU as you'd likewise expect for this period (note this is different to the Mike D star found on earlier guitars). Doesn't look like the sweet-switch hole has been drilled as there's no washer visible, which suggests the wiring has probably not been messed around with (but see questions, flowing). Questions - I'd want to see a shot of the control cavity wiring to be sure the PUs haven't been out and then put back in. The neck PU shot also shows a lot of buffing compound and has more overspray than I'd normally expect - I'd want to investigate that more - prob legit but I'd ask some questions about any mods / changes and ask for a better picture. The fretboard will be BRW, which may cause issues moving it around (and if you decide to sell it at some point in the future) if there's no CITIES cert.

I sent you a pm

Looks legit, from what you posted.

Note that the only “pre-factory” PRS guitars are those made before 1985; that’s when the factory opened.

1988 is obviously not a “pre-factory” guitar. It is from the older factory, however.

Back