HNSFury

PEACE
I run my 2017 CU 24 (with 85/15) through Logic and positive grid (Bias amp2 and FX).

I would have never expected that a 24 fret with 25" scale would be good for smooth jazz/Fusion. It seems that the clarity of the neck pickup (due to its placement closer to the bridge) + the attack of the 85/15s can be tweaked to come close to the sound of an archtop.

Any similar experiences here?

I run my 2017 CU 24 (with 85/15) through Logic and positive grid (Bias amp2 and FX).

I would have never expected that a 24 fret with 25" scale would be good for smooth jazz/Fusion. It seems that the clarity of the neck pickup (due to its placement closer to the bridge) + the attack of the 85/15s can be tweaked to come close to the sound of an archtop.

Any similar experiences here?

I’ve rolled the high end off my CU24’s neck pickup and experienced a very jazz-like tone.

I would have never expected that a 24 fret with 25" scale would be good for smooth jazz/Fusion.

Definitely can be done to great effect.

can be tweaked to come close to the sound of an archtop.

"close" but no cigar.

Just think how it would sound if you got an arch top or hollow.

Sure, nothing beats an archtop or hollow or even a semi hollow for jazz.

I think a Custom 24 can do 'Jazz' - as well as any other genre too. The pick-ups are very articulate and I think you could easily use it to play Jazz if you wanted. I don't know that it would provide the same tones as a classic archtop though as they have that hollowbody resonance underneath but that's perhaps best for classic jazz. The Custom 24 shouldn't have any issue with Smooth Jazz/Fusion though and is often demonstrated with the clean, more Jazz tones rather than 'Rock' - maybe because of the price of these...

Listen to the Danny Gatton album New York Stories. He's playing jazz on a Tele. As far as fusion goes, there's hardly guitar you couldn't use for that genre. A CU24 can be used for anything in my opinion -- very versatile instrument.

i’d rather hear good jazz on a tele than bad jazz on a d’aquisto. it’s all/mostly in the fingers, and it doesn’t all have to be so trad.

you can play jazz on anything really.

A good humbucker achieves a nice warm jazz tone if you roll the tone down a quarter or so. Anything with PAFs can do it great. There is undeniably a character that a hollow or semi hollow body does to the bottom end that a solid body can never replicate though. And IMO the PRS 22s would do better on the neck pickup than a 24.

I played some good sounding jazz chords on a drumstick with a rubber band stretched around it. It’s all about perspective really.

Back