PRS Custom 24 Artist - Upgrades

TimD

Waldo5150
Hi All

I have a 2003 Custom 24 Artist Brazilian board and head stock veneer. Needs some work as it was dropped in studio :( years ago. Big carve out of the body and tip of head stock split. Local repair guy glued the head stock and the thing still plays amazing.

That said, I've decided to send it to PTC for them to work some magic. Had upgraded original PUPS with Lollar Imperials. Converted 5 way rotary to 3 position toggle. So, I was hoping some of you would take a look and make some suggestions. I was thinking about the following upgrades if possible. :

Fix and refinish the neck and body - color (suggestions) current is cherry burst. Maybe satin finish on the neck.
57/08 PUPS - split
Open back tuners
New upgraded trem.

Love to go through this forum and see all the amazing work PTC does. Suggestions very welcome.

Pics:

https://waldo.smugmug.com/PRS-Custom-24-Artist-Brazilian-

Thanks in advance.
Tim

Last edited:
That looks killer as is...if you are going for a color change, how drastic are you looking? Vintage or Santana Hello would look smoking', or if going more modern something smoke burst...

15 year old guitar and two little nicks in the finish? I'd say she's doing fine. I don't see a need to fix anything. Now if you want another color, fine. But if you only want to make it perfect again, I don't see the motivation. Old guitars should have old scars.

Nice looking axe! Great top!

If you're going to go through with the PTC trip, I would recommend the NOS2000 trem from John Mann. Either order it in advance, and send it with the guitar, or do it yourself when it gets back (or before it goes in). The MannMade NOS2000 is one piece brass. Sounds killer!

As for the color, you can pick any current or former Core or Artist Pack colors. They won't do anything that is Private Stock, so no Glow or Dragon's Breath. Also, if you go with a different color, it needs to be in the same section of the color wheel since they can't get 100% of the old stain out. So, based on your current finish, you wouldn't want to go with something blue as some of the old finish could make areas look green. Orange would be cool. Maybe Livingston Lemon Drop, or just a refinish of the current color.

They can "satinize" the neck for you. I've had it done on two that I sent in for finish work. Cu22 was done a la the satin neck on the Holcomb and a Santana I had the back done in white. The neck is white, but has that satin feel to it. I believe what they do is finish the neck completely, and then micro-mesh it to give it that satin feel.

They do amazing work, that's for sure!

If you're going to go through with the PTC trip, I would recommend the NOS2000 trem from John Mann. Either order it in advance, and send it with the guitar, or do it yourself when it gets back (or before it goes in). The MannMade NOS2000 is one piece brass. Sounds killer!

As for the color, you can pick any current or former Core or Artist Pack colors. They won't do anything that is Private Stock, so no Glow or Dragon's Breath. Also, if you go with a different color, it needs to be in the same section of the color wheel since they can't get 100% of the old stain out. So, based on your current finish, you wouldn't want to go with something blue as some of the old finish could make areas look green. Orange would be cool. Maybe Livingston Lemon Drop, or just a refinish of the current color.

They can "satinize" the neck for you. I've had it done on two that I sent in for finish work. Cu22 was done a la the satin neck on the Holcomb and a Santana I had the back done in white. The neck is white, but has that satin feel to it. I believe what they do is finish the neck completely, and then micro-mesh it to give it that satin feel.

The lemon drop finish is something I’ve been thinking about. I have a few LP and Warriors in Sunburst now. What about the PUPS? I have to admit the Lollars are great but been intrigued with the 57/08. Only heard them on YouTube vids. Not live

That looks killer as is...if you are going for a color change, how drastic are you looking? Vintage or Santana Hello would look smoking', or if going more modern something smoke burst...

I’d go vintage. Main concern is the headstock crack. It was repaired by someone local whom I trust but figured if sending it in have the team @PTC take a good look and fix the finish.

15 year old guitar and two little nicks in the finish? I'd say she's doing fine. I don't see a need to fix anything. Now if you want another color, fine. But if you only want to make it perfect again, I don't see the motivation. Old guitars should have old scars.

There is something about leaving it. I dropped in my studio shortly after purchase, got the HS repaired locally then swapped out the pups. It’s literally been in the case since 2010. Just kinda put it aside and was into other guitars. Took it out over this past weekend and started playing it again. Was in perfect tune. What a instrument.

Keeping it as is , is an option as well. Thanks to all that responded. Looking for ideas. Greatly appreciated.

The lemon drop finish is something I’ve been thinking about.

I think it'd look great on that top.

What about the PUPS? I have to admit the Lollars are great but been intrigued with the 57/08.

They're amazing. I have a set in mine (a new addition from November), and despite all my threats to yank them for something hotter, I haven't touched them. They cover an incredible range of stuff very well.

I highly recommend a demo if you can swing it, so you can experience the articulation yourself. They're wonderfully responsive.

The lemon drop finish is something I’ve been thinking about. I have a few LP and Warriors in Sunburst now. What about the PUPS? I have to admit the Lollars are great but been intrigued with the 57/08. Only heard them on YouTube vids. Not live

I've got a set in a '14 Cu24. Outstanding!

Thanks for turning me onto John Mann stuff. Very cool. Was new to me. Definitely going to order the term and probably the 57/08 pups tomorrow. Will install and go from there. Livingston lemon drop finish would look killer and it’s a finish that I don’t have on any axe.

Would love to see the white finish that mentioned on you 22.

Thanks for turning me onto John Mann stuff. Very cool. Was new to me. Definitely going to order the term and probably the 57/08 pups tomorrow. Will install and go from there. Livingston lemon drop finish would look killer and it’s a finish that I don’t have on any axe.

Would love to see the white finish that mentioned on you 22.

Anytime! John's part of PRS history, makes great stuff, and is a cool dude!

The white back was actually a Santana. Here are before and after:

bhxlBxR.jpg

KqGVypj.jpg

9lH9DzK.jpg

bkP8R33.jpg

Wow. Breathtaking! Stunning! Thanks so much for sharing. Now my mind begins to churn with the opportunities.

I am familiar with both the Lollar Imperials and the 57/08s — egad, I wouldn’t want to have to make that decision. They’re both great pickups. The 57/08 are definitely worth trying, but make sure you keep the Lollars so you can switch back. Personally, I would do minimal patching on this one and just get another guitar with 57/08 either already in, or something.

Back