PRS Custom 24 2001 authenticity

Fole

Hi! I'm about to buy my first PRS and I wanted to check if it's all right with some experts! Here's the guitar:

Do you think it's all right? All original?

Looks good and original for the era. They used the ebony buttons 99-02 ish. Also during that time, Stoptail Customs got the non-locking tuners.

Nice score.

Yeah, me and my friends were a little unsure about the tuners, but if you say they're correct it's all good.

Looks good and original for the era. They used the ebony buttons 99-02 ish. Also during that time, Stoptail Customs got the non-locking tuners.

Nice score.

Was going by memory - should have looked it up first. Even if they were replacement tuners, I wouldn't have let that sway me if I liked the guitar.

The 2001 PRS catalog says that the Custom 24 has locking tuners. There was no option for non-locking or vintage tuners. The catalog photo shows a Custom 24 with winged Phase I locking tuners and trem. A stoptail was optional.

The 2001 PRS catalog says that the Custom 24 has locking tuners. There was no option for non-locking or vintage tuners. The catalog photo shows a Custom 24 with winged Phase I locking tuners and trem. A stoptail was optional.

So you're saying they're not original?

I remember because that's when my love for PRS guitars first hit full bloom. I tried out every one I could get my hands on. They were transitioning away from the winged tuners at the time. I assume Paul realized he was on to something by reducing the tuner mass and they only kept the wings on the trem guitars for the functionality. Even the winged keys had the ebony buttons at the time. By 2002, they were putting Phase II locking keys on everything but Singlecuts and McCartys.

I can say with a very high degree of confidence they are original.

As I said I asked about it because the owner assured me the guitar is completely original and he seemed sincere, but some of my friends pointed me that Customs didn't have this kind of tuners. But if you're saying it was a transitional period I tend to believe it too.

The topic actually came up not long ago: http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/prs-phase-ii-non-locking-tuners.20321/#post-308649

And if it makes you feel better, here is a Custom 22 for sale with the non-lockers: http://www.soundaffectspremier.com/...-in-ruby-electric-guitar-2001-pre-owned-p6040

It's easier to find 22's with this arrangement, since the stoptail was rarely ordered on the 24 fret model.

Ok, I'm all good now, pulling the trigger on my first PRS!

Garrett has it right. My 2002 CU24 stoptail also has non locking tuners and bony buttons. Congrats, great guitar!

Yeah, buddy...24 stop-tails are kinda-sorta rare birds...play and enjoy.,. Congrats!!!!!
And in one of the previously mentioned articles, I think I argued about there not being original non-locking tuners, but these guys are smart around here. Great place to hang out.

According the the PRS model history "...non-locking tuners on stoptail outfitted guitars from March 2001 - January 2002," This refers to the CU22 but I suspect would also apply to stoptail CU24s as well.

Back