PRS Custom 24-08 Thread

No one in this thread said that the blade on the CU24 was 5-way before your reply. The 408 has a 3-way toggle and two minis. I guess I assumed that the blade on a CU24 was 3-way cause the focus was on the 408 switching.

Does the CU24 5-way give you single-hum and hum-single? That would explain it. The one push pull would give single bridge, single both, and single neck. The three additional options would get you to the eight total that the 408 switching offers. Is that it? No need for two switches if that it the case. I get it.

Yes, the core line Custom 24 has a 5 way switch...
Position One: Bridge humbucker
Position Two: Bridge humbucker with neck singlecoil, in parallel
Position Three: Bridge and neck humbuckers
Position Four: Neck singlecoil with bridge singlecoil, in parallel
Position Five: Neck humbucker

while the Custom 24-08 has a 3 way switch with two mini toggle switches... which seems like a quicker and easier way to get to the options you want.

essentially a custom 24-08 adds the option to use both Neck and Bridge in single coil and the option to use the Bridge in single and neck in full. That's the extra 3 options you get over a regular Custom 24. Unless its very important to have the bridge split and neck in Humbucker combined, just having a tone Push/pull to split both humbuckers to be able to use them split on their own would be good mod.

OK. Got it. I guess I should have said in my original post that I have a Paul’s Guitar and a Brushstroke 24, so I am very familiar with the 408 switching system. I also have a reclaimed wood 24 with 3-way and one push pull that splits both pickups or not. That gives 6 options.

All I was trying to do was understand how a single push pull added to a CU24 would go from (what I wrongly believed at the time of my post to be) 3 options to 8 or (after being reminded that a CU24 has a 5-way) from 5 to 8. Thanks, Mozzi, for explaining that it gets you to 7. Much appreciated.

I understand that a 3-way with two push pulls gives the same options as the 3-way with two mini toggles. That’s been clear to me.

I also now completely get that re-wiring the 5-way position 4 on a stock CU24 to neck hum, bridge single could get you to 8 options if an added push pull only split at positions 1, 3, and 5. I agree with Hangar18 that the 408 3-way and two mini toggles seems easier and quicker. But for someone—not me—who has a CU24 with a 5-way and doesn’t want to spend $3700 on a new guitar, doing a mod that doesn’t add any new holes to the top of the guitar might be more appealing.

to be honest, the only guitars I would consider modding is my 509 and Special. With the 509, I would like to switch the option to use the both Humbuckers in position 3 as well as just the single coil and with the Special, the option to use just the Narrowfield as well as the 2 Humbuckers in Position 3

It would be cool to use both humbuckers in Split mode on my Custom 24 but I won't lose sleep over missing out on those 2 options as I have numerous guitars that I can use instead. I know that its not quite the same due to neck position and type of pick-ups the Cu24 has but I can make do with what I have right now...

That is kind of shocking to me. PRSh going around the world, visiting small guitar shops lauding the benefits of buying a PRS guitar to actual guitar buyers in person and then the company shooting themselves in the foot by not delivering a guitar when someone says "Okay, I'll buy one!" I just don't get it. I would have been calling the factory a year and a half ago. (Well, in my case I'm close enough to go there in person to ask WTF?!) I hope you get your guitar soon. I know that there are Cu24-08's already out there waiting for someone to buy them.

I ordered a Copperhead Burst Artist Package with a rosewood neck. The rosewood neck option is no longer available and while there are 24-08s for sale, I’ve not seen one for sale with the rosewood neck. PRS is honoring the order and are building the guitar with the rosewood neck even though that option is now only available as a Private Stock.

I called my dealer today and did get an update. The guitar is about a month away. However, I did get some pics. The neck has been made and I have a pic of it. It looks complete and has frets. The body is supposed to be done next week, and the marriage of body and neck is supposed to happen next week.

I ordered a Copperhead Burst Artist Package with a rosewood neck. The rosewood neck option is no longer available and while there are 24-08s for sale, I’ve not seen one for sale with the rosewood neck. PRS is honoring the order and are building the guitar with the rosewood neck even though that option is now only available as a Private Stock.

I called my dealer today and did get an update. The guitar is about a month away. However, I did get some pics. The neck has been made and I have a pic of it. It looks complete and has frets. The body is supposed to be done next week, and the marriage of body and neck is supposed to happen next week.

That is really good news! I imagine that we would all like to see some photos of it in this thread when you receive it. Rosewood necks are really neat!

That is really good news! I imagine that we would all like to see some photos of it in this thread when you receive it. Rosewood necks are really neat!

Hope this works.....

Here’s the neck photo PRS sent to my dealer. Been waiting nearly 2 years.....
BCA62950-B8-DF-4-A2-B-BD7-C-4-DA2-D8203-C94.jpg

Yes I saw this model since its launch. The twin toggle system should make good sound considering from my experience with PG and 408 models.
BTW, to my liking, this kind of multi switching is unnecessarily too much for me. And in live situation it's not intuitive at all. I think the best switching for live performance should be operated within one movement of selecting hand.

It might sound great, but not practical to use IMHO.

Last edited:
I modded my old Custom 24 (which I have since sold :() to be a 24-08, before the actual model came out. I am going to contact PRS about getting some royalties, I'll let everyone know how it goes.

I'm probably buying another one.

Yes I saw this model since its launch. The twin toggle system should make good sound considering from my experience with PG and 408 models.
BTW, to my liking, this kind of multi switching is unnecessarily too much for me. And in live situation it's not intuitive at all. I think the best switching for live performance should be operated within one movement of selecting hand.

It might sound great, but not practical to use IMHO.

Well, if you set the mini toggles ahead of time, it certainly can become one movement during a live performance.

DSC09211 by Eugene Lee, on Flickr

I had intended the singlecoil modes to get close to what a strat would provide, but was sorely wrong. A whole lot of usable sounds though, especially for clean applications.

I use the singlecoil mode on the neck when I want a little more clarity on faster picked runs, and singlecoil mode on the bridge when I want some extra bite to do punk related stuff.

DSC09211 by Eugene Lee, on Flickr

I had intended the singlecoil modes to get close to what a strat would provide, but was sorely wrong. A whole lot of usable sounds though, especially for clean applications.

I use the singlecoil mode on the neck when I want a little more clarity on faster picked runs, and singlecoil mode on the bridge when I want some extra bite to do punk related stuff.

Stunning appearance that guitar has!

I think the Stratty tones of the 24-08 are a pretty good compromise, but if one REALLY wanted the best Stratocaster tones available, a PRS Silver Sky would certainly do the trick. But for those who prefer a Custom 24, these switching options on the 24-08 are really great!

Stunning appearance that guitar has!

I think the Stratty tones of the 24-08 are a pretty good compromise, but if one REALLY wanted the best Stratocaster tones available, a PRS Silver Sky would certainly do the trick. But for those who prefer a Custom 24, these switching options on the 24-08 are really great!
For the real Strat tones I will use my 78 Strat ;););)

So I got another update from my dealer....

PRS has been very apologetic about my nearly two year wait. So, they are being INCREDIBLY NICE and sending my dealer pics of the guitar in-process. I need to say this is NOT a service they normally provide, so PLEASE DO NOT ASK PRS TO PROVIDE IN-PROCESS BUILD PICTURES!!! I feel a little guilty about posting this, because if PRS starts getting requests for in-process photos because, "dcm_guitar got pics of HIS guitar!!!" I'm going to feel really guilty. They are ONLY doing this because I've been waiting 22+ months for this instrument. Okay, with that disclaimer (seriously folks, PLEASE DO NOT start requesting photos from PRS!!)....

Here's a photo of the body next to the neck. The marriage of the two should happen next week along with the initial finish.....

Body.jpg

So I got another update from my dealer....

PRS has been very apologetic about my nearly two year wait. So, they are being INCREDIBLY NICE and sending my dealer pics of the guitar in-process. I need to say this is NOT a service they normally provide, so PLEASE DO NOT ASK PRS TO PROVIDE IN-PROCESS BUILD PICTURES!!! I feel a little guilty about posting this, because if PRS starts getting requests for in-process photos because, "dcm_guitar got pics of HIS guitar!!!" I'm going to feel really guilty. They are ONLY doing this because I've been waiting 22+ months for this instrument. Okay, with that disclaimer (seriously folks, PLEASE DO NOT start requesting photos from PRS!!)....

Here's a photo of the body next to the neck. The marriage of the two should happen next week along with the initial finish.....

Body.jpg

That's a fantastic top! No doubt you'll be pleased when it's built. What color did you say you were going with?

Back