PRS Custom 24-08 Thread

HANGAR18

Who is John Galt?
Has anyone made an official Custom 24-08 thread yet? Anyway, it seems to me like PRS came out with this model sort of under the radar, without any big fanfare, almost to see if anyone even noticed. It seems to have just appeared on the PRS web site one day and that's it. Yet, especially here on the forum, I haven't really seen any chatter about it at all. Me personally, I'm so enthusiastic about these switching options (three way blade switch plus two mini toggles) that now I wish I could convert all my Custom 24's over to that layout and wonder why anyone would ever buy a regular Custom 24 when they could have a Custom 24-08 instead!

Am I the only one who thinks that putting the 408 switching options onto a Custom 24 was brilliant? Perhaps you would be surprised to learn that I actually owned a 408 for a little while, just long enough to flip it while doing guitar deals. I didn't keep the 408 because I preferred a different neck carve and 24 frets instead of 22. But, Custom 24's I have liked for a long time. Once I realized that I get more switching options on a Custom 24 by having the 408 controls on it, WOO WHOO!!! I'm onboard with that all the way.

So has anyone else noticed the Custom 24-08 models yet?
Anyone else excited about them?
Do you think that the 24-08 models will surpass the popularity of the regular Custom 24 models?
If you don't own one, why not?

custom_24_08_2018_hero_large.jpg

PRS-2018_CU24-08.jpg

I ordered one almost 2 years ago (November of 2017). It still hasn't arrived yet. I was told when I ordered it was a 6 to 8 month wait. PRS and my dealer went back and forth with no updates about delivery until PRS finally sent a letter to my dealer saying it would arrive no later than July (this was after waiting for a YEAR for an update. A year to wait to just get a darn update). It's now September and I still don't have the guitar. My dealer has called the west coast rep, but have received no updates.

It might be a great instrument, but after nearly two years of waiting I still have no idea.

I love my 24-08! I agree, it's kind of the sleeper model right now, without a whole lot of fanfare going on. It seems that PRS has a lot on it's hands with the 594 variants and the Silver Sky still killing it in sales, so it makes sense that essentially a Custom 24 variant would kinda go under the radar.

I have both the Custom 24 and Custom 24-08 and love them both. I really love the pickup switching options in the Custom 24, particularly position 4. The 24-08, with completely different pickups and switching setup, offers it's own collection of great, use-able tones. The neck split by itself (an option not available on the Custom 24) is heavenly....perhaps my favorite split-tone I've heard on a PRS, next to the Dragon II neck-split.

My Custom 24 has 59/09's, so they're a bit more ballsy and modern than the 24-08's 58/15 MT's. I've used them both live, in a band setting, and both perform very well....cutting through a mix without issue. I will say, the Custom 24 cuts through a little bit more than the 24-08, as it seems to have a bit more ballsy highs while the 58/15's seem a bit more rounded off, a little more "vintage" per-se. Both, like I said, though cut through great and carry their own weight.

Both are gorgeous in fit and finish, but I'm a bit more drawn to the 24/08 with it's fade finish, rosewood neck, and Brazilian board.

Pics, because we all love those....
Ru7PHn8.jpg
ZrwncUJ.jpg
JswmZRc.jpg
pgKYIcj.jpg
6Wq41t2.jpg
7blvWIk.png

Last edited:
I ordered one almost 2 years ago (November of 2017). It still hasn't arrived yet. I was told when I ordered it was a 6 to 8 month wait. PRS and my dealer went back and forth with no updates about delivery until PRS finally sent a letter to my dealer saying it would arrive no later than July (this was after waiting for a YEAR for an update. A year to wait to just get a darn update). It's now September and I still don't have the guitar. My dealer has called the west coast rep, but have received no updates.

It might be a great instrument, but after nearly two years of waiting I still have no idea.

That is kind of shocking to me. PRSh going around the world, visiting small guitar shops lauding the benefits of buying a PRS guitar to actual guitar buyers in person and then the company shooting themselves in the foot by not delivering a guitar when someone says "Okay, I'll buy one!" I just don't get it. I would have been calling the factory a year and a half ago. (Well, in my case I'm close enough to go there in person to ask WTF?!) I hope you get your guitar soon. I know that there are Cu24-08's already out there waiting for someone to buy them.

That is kind of shocking to me. PRSh going around the world, visiting small guitar shops lauding the benefits of buying a PRS guitar to actual guitar buyers in person and then the company shooting themselves in the foot by not delivering a guitar when someone says "Okay, I'll buy one!" I just don't get it. I would have been calling the factory a year and a half ago. (Well, in my case I'm close enough to go there in person to ask WTF?!) I hope you get your guitar soon. I know that there are Cu24-08's already out there waiting for someone to buy them.

My dealer offered me some available colors. But no Yellow Tiger. I was not willing to make a color compromise. Not with a guitar for €3900

I love my 24-08! I agree, it's kind of the sleeper model right now, without a whole lot of fanfare going on. It seems that PRS has a lot on it's hands with the 594 variants and the Silver Sky still killing it in sales, so it makes sense that essentially a Custom 24 variant would kinda go under the radar.

I have both the Custom 24 and Custom 24-08 and love them both. I really love the pickup switching options in the Custom 24, particularly position 4. The 24-08, with completely different pickups and switching setup, offers it's own collection of great, use-able tones. The neck spit by itself (an option not available on the Custom 24) is heavenly....perhaps my favorite split-tone I've heard on a PRS, next to the Dragon II neck-split.

My Custom 24 has 59/09's, so they're a bit more ballsy and modern than the 24-08's 58/15 MT's. I've used them both live, in a band setting, and both perform very well....cutting through a mix without issue. I will say, the Custom 24 cuts through a little bit more than the 24-08, as it seems to have a bit more ballsy highs while the 58/15's seem a bit more rounded off, a little more "vintage" per-se. Both, like I said, though cut through great and carry their own weight.

Both are gorgeous in fit and finish, but I'm a bit more drawn to the 24/08 with it's fade finish, rosewood neck, and Brazilian board.

Pics, because we all love those....
Ru7PHn8.jpg
ZrwncUJ.jpg
JswmZRc.jpg
pgKYIcj.jpg
6Wq41t2.jpg
7blvWIk.png

OUTSTANDING! You understand!

I think the 24-08 is the solution to my issues with the stock Custom 24 switching options; but, I’m not willing to spend another $3700 to get a pair of switches.

Put a push pull on your volume pot so you can have the 408 switching layout.

I have 2 guitars set up this way.

Perhaps I don’t understand the switching on a Custom 24. The 408 switches give four combinations of single and humbucker. Won’t a single push pull only offer two?

As far as spending $3700 for two switches, I’d wager that PTC would install them for a small fraction of that. Don’t know about adding the divot like the 24-08, but just the switches might be a few hundred bucks.

Perhaps I don’t understand the switching on a Custom 24. The 408 switches give four combinations of single and humbucker. Won’t a single push pull only offer two?

As far as spending $3700 for two switches, I’d wager that PTC would install them for a small fraction of that. Don’t know about adding the divot like the 24-08, but just the switches might be a few hundred bucks.

Well, for starters, the 5 position switch on a Custom 24 doesn't allow you to to have a single coil neck pickup sound but you can get that with the 408 or Cu24-08 switching options.

Yes, a single push pull would only give you two variations.
Push pull on both volume and tone would give you the options of two mini toggles.

No one in this thread said that the blade on the CU24 was 5-way before your reply. The 408 has a 3-way toggle and two minis. I guess I assumed that the blade on a CU24 was 3-way cause the focus was on the 408 switching.

Does the CU24 5-way give you single-hum and hum-single? That would explain it. The one push pull would give single bridge, single both, and single neck. The three additional options would get you to the eight total that the 408 switching offers. Is that it? No need for two switches if that it the case. I get it.

As I mentioned above, two push pull pots will accomplish the 408 switching. I had prs do that on my McCarty. I like it.

No one in this thread said that the blade on the CU24 was 5-way before your reply. The 408 has a 3-way toggle and two minis. I guess I assumed that the blade on a CU24 was 3-way cause the focus was on the 408 switching.

Does the CU24 5-way give you single-hum and hum-single? That would explain it. The one push pull would give single bridge, single both, and single neck. The three additional options would get you to the eight total that the 408 switching offers. Is that it? No need for two switches if that it the case. I get it.

Prs will do a push pull mod on the tone pot of a 5 way blade set up. It gets you more single coil sounds.

I think the mod was 150.00.

Back