PRS Custom 22

VoxAC30HW2

I have a chance to get a 1995 Custom 22 in Natural and I would have to trade my
two guitars a Stratocaster and a Telecaster. I did have a PRS Custom 24 back in
1988 wish I had that guitar today. The 95 has a Wide Thin Neck which I like and
I has Dragon Treble and Bass Pickups it also has a Push Pull on the Tone control
and a 3 way switch. I would switch those out for a 5 way Rotary and a Sweet switch
I do have some pictures but I don't know how to post them here so my question is it
worth doing the trade?

While I agree that you should do it, you have 2 single coil guitars. Are you wanting a humbucker guitar? If so, don't hesitate - but IF you are a single coil guy (I don't know, maybe you never play the Fenders...) play the PRS before you trade. I LOVE the PRS sound, but I still sometimes miss the Gretsch guitars I traded to get one of my PRS'....

I did play the guitar today it's got a great neck so they are going to Buff it out clean
the Frets and then do a setup with 9-42. In the band that I'm in I need to get a little
darker sound. I did have a Custom 24 back in 1988 my Fender guitars are good
but I like being a little different. My Amp is a Vox AC30HW2 and the Custom 22
and my Amp will be a good setup.

This deal seems a little lopsided. I seen elsewhere that you're talking about an Eric Clapton Sig and American Standard Tele.

Honestly, if we're talking straight up value you're getting hosed, but if we're talking in-store trade value then that deal is (IMO) fair.

It's a straight up deal the new PRS Custom 22 are out of my price
range. When I recorded I played a PRS Custom 24 at the time
I will have a 5 way Rotary and a Sweet Switch put in the guitar.
The person has some NOS of those parts then it should be just
like the one I had in 1998. My only other thing is this can I still
get the Standard Treble and Bass pickups that they used in 1988
and how do they compare to the Dragon pickups that are in the
guitar. Should I have the work done local or send it back and have
PRS do the work?

I don't particularly care to trade guitars. I mean i would, but I've got a gaggle of them. I could trade away a strat & a Tele, & still have a Tele & a Strat.

If you're in that same position, you should do it. If not, I wouldn't. Nice guitar & all, but not the end all be all.

Have you looked at the S2 guitars?

RevBillyG my only two guitars are at this time my Fender
Eric Clapton Signature Stratocaster and my American
Standard Telecster. Yes they are great guitars but I haven't
been a big fan of those guitars. I have the Telecaster because
I'm a big fan of James Burton and Carl Perkins. As for the
Stratocaster never been a fan of that guitar. It seems Paul
has a lot of passion for his guitars and I want to play a guitar
that not everyone one has my love for PRS Guitars started
back in 1988. If I had one guitar only it would be a PRS
Custom 22.

I would suggest that you not do the trade and instead one of the two Fenders (probably the EC Strat) and make up the difference cash wise. Or, put a deposit down on the PRS while you sell the other two on the open market. On this particular trade I think that you might be getting the short end of the stick. It all depends on the asking price of the PRS and it condition (and appointments....trem, 10 Top, pickups, etc).

BMiler I don't have the money to put down on the PRS Custom 22
the guitar does not have a 10 Top it does have a Wide Thin Neck
(which I love) and a PRS Tremolo System it was special order.
The Color is Natural and it's from 1995 with Dragon Pickups
it was one o the last ones they made at the old Factory before
they moved. Somewhere down the line things were changed
with a 3 way switch and a Push Pull on the Tone Control.
Those controls do nothing for me and the guitar is being
Buffed Out and being cleaned up. So it's a Dragon Guitar
without the Dragon Inlays. Now the Fenders are good Guitars
but I have never became attached to them and most people
that I know either play Fender or Gibson. I know some on this
board would not do this yet others would. To me PRS are the
(Best) on the market. For the style of music that I play this
Custom 22 would fit in perfect. I like playing a Guitar that not
many people where I live play.

...my love for PRS Guitars started back in 1988. If I had one guitar only it would be a PRS
Custom 22.

I'm basing my answer on the fact you mentioned you once owned a Custom 24, now regretting that you don't have that guitar today.

These things are expensive, I get that. Dollar wise, the trade may make sense... or pretty close. However, with eBay & Reverb... & music stores posting used inventory online you could probably find that guitar for what that Clapton could pull in.

Still, my advice.. you bought those guitars for a reason. I know I'd be looking to buy them back in a couple of years. You might be different. I'm not a one guitar guy.

I like having two guitar and I'm still looking for a sound with my Amp.
I play thru a Vox AC30HW2 and it's a bright sound. I'm trying to get a
Beatles, Dave Clark 5 and the Rolling Stones type sound so would
the Custom 22 get me closer and both Fenders have 22 frets. I
have a picture wish I could post it. Well I have till Tuesday to
decide and I will look on Reverb and Ebay.

BMiler I don't have the money to put down on the PRS Custom 22
the guitar does not have a 10 Top it does have a Wide Thin Neck
(which I love) and a PRS Tremolo System it was special order.
The Color is Natural and it's from 1995 with Dragon Pickups
it was one o the last ones they made at the old Factory before
they moved. Somewhere down the line things were changed
with a 3 way switch and a Push Pull on the Tone Control.
Those controls do nothing for me and the guitar is being
Buffed Out and being cleaned up. So it's a Dragon Guitar
without the Dragon Inlays. Now the Fenders are good Guitars
but I have never became attached to them and most people
that I know either play Fender or Gibson. I know some on this
board would not do this yet others would. To me PRS are the
(Best) on the market. For the style of music that I play this
Custom 22 would fit in perfect. I like playing a Guitar that not
many people where I live play.

I get it man. I know how GAS sets in as well. But you asked and I threw out the same options that my non guitar playing sane wife would have if I were currently in your spot. I also understand funding issues as I have three kids in high school down.

If this is a serious "end all, be all. do everything axe" for you, then go for it. Do the trade and get the beast in your hands.

However, I still suggest selling the two American Fenders and buying the guitar outright (and pocketing the change for a pedal or something else).Think about what you can cut back on (bring your lunch to work, cut back on the smokes (switch to vaping or quit all together), switch to a cheaper beer, etc). I don't know you but I'm pretty sure that you spend money on something every day that adds up. This is money that can be set aside to put this guitar on layaway. By the way, I'm currently doing the same to pay off my latest purchase (the McCarty in my sig). Honestly, we all spend money on crap that could be better used elsewhere.

Anyways, I agree. that PRS makes the best guitars when up against F and G.

BMiller my wife always says why do you need that Amp or Guitar I have a daughter getting
Married in October. My favorite PRS has the Volume Rotary and Sweet Switch. If I
wanted a guitar with a Blade Switch I would stay with Fender or even a Steinberger
GR4 that I had in the past. This one has the McCarty setup which someone installed
and as I said before I would change that out and that is the only thing that I don't like
on the guitar. Should I do the trade I would then look for the Standard Bass and Treble
pickups that PRS used back in 1988 and replace the Dragon pickups. Also I could send
the guitar back to the Tech Center and have them do the work . The person who has the
guitar also has NOS 5 way Rotary and Sweet Switch in stock. I could buy those parts from
him and have a local repair guy do the work. I don't smoke or drink I teach Martial Arts.
I'm going to retire within the next two years so I want to have everything I need. I also have
a floor pedal board so it come down this I want the guitar that feels and plays the best for
me. When I had my 1988 Custom 24 I thought it was the best guitar ever made.

For that amount of money, I`d have him throw in the sweet switch, rotary, install them and call it a day. My younger son works a local music store. They have a much easier time selling F and G than they do PRS, just because of Name recognition. The store owner knows that and is probably salivating at the thought of your 2 guitars. If he/she won`t work that trade, walk away. By the way, my son has a PRS like dad.

dogrocketp I just talked to the guy and he said the PRS will be ready tomorrow
so I'll go over and look it over. What PRS do you have and what does your son have?
Of all the guitars on the market and could only have one it would be a PRS now I've
had Rickenbacker G&L Asat Gretsch Parker Fly Deluxe reissue Vox Teardrop and
a Steinberger GR4. Also my current Fender Stratocaster and Telecaster so I've
a few guitars and the PRS seems to have a sound that I don't get with the other
guitars. When I go over tomorrow I'll decide if I want to trad or keep what I have.

Uh oh. I have a 2003 CE 24, 2006 SAS, 2008 24 fret Mira, 2015 S2 Custom 22, Se Tremonti trem, SE P90 Singlecut, SE 3oth Anniversary CU 24, 2004 SE Tremonti, SE EG, SE Single Cut trem, and an SE Alex Lifeson acoustic. I like to modify the brains out of my SE`s. That`s why I have so many. My son has an SE 245. He is mostly a piano player with smaller hands. Yes, I modified it for him. If I could only have one, it would be my SAS. It`s Magic. I`ve never played a bad PRS, but some of them are unbelievable with the right pickups and amp.

Back