PRS custom 22 problem

iceiceice

Hey there, today i got my PRS custom 22 Fire Red
it's really nice, and this is the best guitar i've ever played..
Now i can act like "mark tremonti" in front of the mirror :p

But actually i have some problem with distance between String and Fret..
in this PRS i think the distance is too far, i can make it a little bit lower but the shop owner(who also a guitarist),
told me that i dont need to change the distance because it will affect the tone, but this is very uncomfortable for me.
i usually play with low distance between string and fret in my Gibson SG
What's you're suggestion then ??

This is the pict from my PRS neck

And this is from my Gibson

Sounds like the shop owner didn't want to pony up for a setup. It could probably use one. The tonal difference from altering the string height can be totally offset by adjusting the pickup height.

If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, take the guitar to a good tech and pay for a setup, explain how high you want your action to be set and they can make it happen.

Lower it down. I could not play on a guitar with that action either. Thats crazy!

That is ridiculous. I would insist the dealer set it up the way I wanted it.

Last edited:
Yes, that action is very high. It's really easy to fix, and your dealer should do a neck adjustment and set the guitar up. It's out of adjustment, probably due to humidity changes, etc., something that happens sometimes during shipping, or while it sits at a dealer's shop.

The specs for a factory setup are on the PRS website, here:

http://prsguitars.com/csc/setup.html

Sounds like the shop owner didn't want to pony up for a setup. It could probably use one. The tonal difference from altering the string height can be totally offset by adjusting the pickup height.

If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, take the guitar to a good tech and pay for a setup, explain how high you want your action to be set and they can make it happen.
He said that factory settings are the best.. so he told me that i'm better not to change the string height action..

Lower it down. I could not play on a guitar with that action either. Thats crazy!

That is ridiculous. I would insist the dealer set it up the way I wanted it.

I decided to lower it down, because that was too high .. so hurting and not comfortable

Yes, that action is very high. It's really easy to fix, and your dealer should do a neck adjustment and set the guitar up. It's out of adjustment, probably due to humidity changes, etc., something that happens sometimes during shipping, or while it sits at a dealer's shop.

The specs for a factory setup are on the PRS website, here:

http://prsguitars.com/csc/setup.html

Most of dealers in my country didnt know well about guitar.. they just know how to sell guitar, but they don't know about guitar setting..
that is the problem here..
but thanks for the link, now i can pla my guitar more comfort

That wasn't factory settings, thats too high. Your dealer should know what factory settings are, and that those arent them. Your dealer is either stupid or just blew you off.

Thats a GREAT looking guitar though. I'm a big advocate of learning to set up guitars for yourself so when you're on the road you aren't worried with small changes- and PRS is very good quality so it makes doing the work easier.

Assuming the bridge posts or saddle heights weren't totally messed with, you probably need to tighten the truss rod. It's perfectly safe to do on your own, but keep in mind that A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY.

If you need to straighten the neck (bring the height down), you tighten the rod (righty-tighty)
If you need to give the neck more relief (not enough height), you loosen the rod (lefty-loosey)

edit: Forgot to add that your looking with the headstock in your hand, looking DOWN the neck towards the bridge.

Only turn the nut like 1/6th rotation, very very little, and the neck will move. Retune, let it sit for a few minutes, then retune again. If you need more, go in again. The rods are super sensitive on these guitars, so just do a little bit and you shouldnt overdo it.

He said that factory settings are the best.. so he told me that i'm better not to change the string height action..
The problem with "factory settings" on something like a guitar is that stuff happens between the factory and your hands. Wood reacts to its environment. This isn't a TV or an electric drill.

Slight adjustments in the new environment are totally normal, so tell your guitar shop owner to educate himself on how to set up guitars, or he is likely to lose business to the competition if they learn how to set up guitars.

On top of that, people like different set-ups. I like relatively low action - as low as I can get it. Others like a bit of string height so that when they bend they push on the other strings mid-finger.

YMMV, IMHO.

Last edited:
Back