PRS Custom 22 - Can't remove tremolo spring

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Riplead, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Riplead

Riplead New Member

Just got it today. Googled it and someone said PRS puts a bend in the hook side of the spring? Holy cow, I've tried needle nose pliers, screwdrivers (carefully). I can not get the frickin' spring out. This never took me more than 2 seconds to do on any other guitar. I'm ready to get my Sawzall out. :mad:

2. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

I know it’s maybe not what you want to do, but you could loosen the trem claw screws, which might help removal of that pesky spring.

3. Riplead

Riplead New Member

Thanks. I have it unhooked from the claw, and actually rest the guitar on my lap pressing the bar down so there's plenty of room. I wiggled the spring back and forth a bunch of times but it won't budge. I can't help but think how stupid this is. I never had one pop out in my nearly 50 years of playing. I've had Ibanez guitars where they have a metal plate that screws down over the springs to ensure they don't pop out, but once you remove that, they come out easily. I gave this a lot of force with 2 types of needle nose pliers, and I'm a pretty big guy. I can't believe this is so difficult.

4. Riplead

Riplead New Member

OMG I just got it out with a pair of end nippers. They look like fret end cutters or something. Holy cow. I buggered up the brass block a bit. PRS really needs to rethink this. God forbid I have to take them all out to mess with the trem. Sheesh.

5. Riplead

Riplead New Member

I'll tell ya one thing, if I had to pull out all the springs, I'd replace them with regular springs that don't have a bend. That's just overkill.

6. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

The bend is there to insure that those of us with whammy madness don’t pop a spring while playing and lose pitch altogether, which I’ve done with an SE Tremonti Custom. I’ll like to bend a note, and the use the trem bar to take it up a fifth or so from the original note. I also buggered up the trem block removing a spring from a DC3. It was an otherwise mint guitar.

bodia likes this.
  7. Bill SAS 513

Bill SAS 513 Just another old guy in a T-shirt

I've never been a whammy monster, and I've never had springs get stuck while removing/rearranging them...that's weird. Glad it finally broke loose for ya'.