PRS Custom 22 2013 Finish Bubble

starscream67

Hi All,

Today I noticed that my 2013 core Custom 22 has an air bubble below the finish on the fretboard and another smaller one starting. I bought this guitar new and I don’t play this guitar often so it mostly lives in its PRS hard case, but now I’m thinking of ditching the hard case for a gig bag in case it’s moisture related.

Any ideas what caused this? How can I stop it spreading? Should I do anything to try and fix or or just leave it alone? See picture below:

P8nSYqN.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 408 from 2013 that had a similar issue the same area. It didn't affect playability at all; since i had just purchased it , It went back to the factory for repair/refin or whatever they did to fix it. IIRC it was an adhesion issue with the the finish.

Thanks for the info. So what are the options for international customers? I live in the UK.
As far as I know, the US PTC is the only authorized refinish center for PRS and, as your guitar isn’t a warranty repair, the shipping both ways might double the repair costs. I’d consider some of the shops there that handle PRS and might have reliable repair options. Anderton’s and Peach come to mind as some I regularly see from this side of the pond.

That said, it certainly wouldn’t hurt to contact PTC and see what a “back to the mothership” repair would require.

Option 3, and what I might do because I love natural necks, is either strip and seal it myself, or take it to someone who can do a good job of it. Finish that isn’t there can’t come off.

Best wishes on the fix, whichever way you go..

Looks like you are the original owner, if you can contact the dealer you purchased it from and they will open a warranty repair ticket.
You can also contact PTC they will get you sorted.
Mine was fixed out of warranty for one way shipping.

Looks like you are the original owner, if you can contact the dealer you purchased it from and they will open a warranty repair ticket.
You can also contact PTC they will get you sorted.
Mine was fixed out of warranty for one way shipping.
I had the same thing. I paid one way shipping also.

Thanks, Rider. Unfortunately the dealer I bought it from, Tone World, doesn’t exist anymore - they either went bust or somehow their premises got acquired by Sound Affects.

I’ll see what PTC day, I have proof of purchase, so hopefully they can help.

So what was the process with PTC? Did they arrange everything for you and just charge 1 way shipping or did you have to sort the 1 way shipping? Full shipping insurance for that would be astronomical surely?
I contacted Customer Service about my issue. They asked me to send pictures. Said they would take care of it, and gave me an RA#. I boxed up the guitar and took it to the nearby FedEx facility. I believe it was $94.00 for shipping, with a declared value of $3,000. They did not arrange for shipping. Not sure how it’ll work for you since you’re in the UK. There was talk around here a couple of years ago about a PTC Europe, but I dont know if that ever happened.

I have a Fed Ex Account and had a few boxes laying around so shipping was $60ish insured.
They used to offer shipping service where they sent you a PRS shipping box with a prepaid label.

Can you keep us posted on how you get on with this?
I’m in a similar position with my first PRS, a 25th Anniversary Cu22. In addition to the same issue with finish lifting at the fretboard edge of the neck, I’m seeing areas of the finish clouding on the body.
I live in Scotland and the original dealer I bought it from (new) has gone out of business.
The guitar has a huge sentimental value to me, but I’m really curious on what it would cost to get the guitar to PRS, for them to address the issues.

Can you keep us posted on how you get on with this?
I’m in a similar position with my first PRS, a 25th Anniversary Cu22. In addition to the same issue with finish lifting at the fretboard edge of the neck, I’m seeing areas of the finish clouding on the body.
I live in Scotland and the original dealer I bought it from (new) has gone out of business.
The guitar has a huge sentimental value to me, but I’m really curious on what it would cost to get the guitar to PRS, for them to address the issues.
You should send an email to [email protected] and inquire about the warranty. Lifetime, since you are the original owner, and bought it new. May, or may not, be covered. But an email is an easy way to find out what your options are. Best of luck.

My 2013 MT408 has the same issue, even worse as some tape took large hunks out. Prior to that I noticed very little, if any, issues. My email to the PTC is sent, just waiting on what they say. It indeed should be warranty as it is a defect in construction which should be covered - lifetime. That would be great because I have other dings as well and could get everything sorted at the same time. Lucky for me, I am within 2 hours of the factory and could drive it up and pick it up. Just depends on timing.

Back