PRS covering Fender land

Scott Grove: A man who can play his tail off, but who gets such horrible tone he can even make a PRS sound bad.

Scott Grove puts out videos purporting to teach the Great Unwashed about Tone and other topics related to guitar.

Among his gems: A demonstration "proving" that a maple fingerboard on an electric guitar sounds exactly like a rosewood fingerboard on an electric guitar by essentially snapping the strings once against the fingerboard miked only by the video camera; demonstrating that the proper way to clean an unfinished rosewood fingerboard is to use water...after watching these and one other of his videos, I couldn't watch another second.

Plus, he is a ranter who puts ranters in asylums to shame.

If this is his idea of a good country tone, well, I'm hardly surprised.

Someone who cares about PRS, please replace this thread with David Grissom or Brent Mason!!!

I hate to be a dick, I but I vote that we ban Mike for posting that nonsense. For life. Sorry Mike... you f**ck up, you pay the price. :hello:

Wow...the guy can play but that tone sucks. And I think he's got one or two screws loose...

I had to clean my ears out with this:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow...the guy can play but that tone sucks. And I think he's got one or two screws loose...

I had to clean my ears out with this

Thank you, PRSrocker, thank you, thank you.

Brent Mason is the real deal. And all his screws seem to be tight. Thank goodness!

Thank you, PRSrocker, thank you, thank you.

Brent Mason is the real deal. And all his screws seem to be tight. Thank goodness!

For sure. Super humble guy too from everything I've heard or seen of him. Haven't met him yet even though I'm in Nashville a couple times a year.

That tone and style is dead on for that 90s Tele type country solos (Alan Jackson is a great example of someone he worked with), before country became repackaged 80s rock (which I also can dig, but it's two different animals). I am nowhere near Brent Mason's level nor do we have the same styles or approaches but I am definitely influenced by him. I've always liked country in my rock n' roll, and vice versa. I love those pedal steel licks and double stops!

For sure. Super humble guy too from everything I've heard or seen of him.

The very best usually are.

There's a reason one of these guys is the most recorded guitar player in the world, and the other...isn't. ;)

Last edited:
I'm a Michigan fellow-sufferer, too. Nice weather we're having, huh.
Yeah Michiganders unite. we need to build an ark to survive the rains lol !!!!
Wardog... We're fellow Michiganders. I'm just a shot up US-23 in Fenton.
Been past and in Fenton a few times heading to Flint. Nice place. at 80 mph lol Just like Belleville!!!

As someone who is a big fan of Modern country guitar tone, which is what he seems to be trying to emulate, one of the factors is most of the new guys use Humbuckers(most use PRS too:biggrin:), this guy is using single coils. that explains the lack of drive, and beef. the other thing is that......this crap just sucks. It doesnt even deserve my time im taking to type this. I didnt bother to watch the whole thing. does he explain what amp/pedal(s) he is using? just curious.

Garbage. Pure Garbage. How dare that man do that to that poor SE.....someone clip all the strings on every PRS he owns, and give him 40 lashes with them for every note!:evil:

EDIT: heard him "sing"

Man I thought Bieber was bad.....

Last edited:
Yeah Michiganders unite. we need to build an ark to survive the rains lol !!!!

Been past and in Fenton a few times heading to Flint. Nice place. at 80 mph lol Just like Belleville!!!

I'm headed back that way as well on Saturday. Permanently!

Tough crowd. :biggrin:
I'm not a fan of Scott's tone, or any quacky tone for that matter, but it is one that was popular with Fenders when I was playing out, and he nails it pretty good with the EG.

I think Grove is a hoot and like most things on the web I take him with a grain of salt (or two or three). Also the guy had a pretty funky guitar collection, though he somehow made them all sound the same with that damn compressor and reverb.

Mason is the man, gotta like a guy who has incredible chops and build himself one of the coolest ugly guitars since Van Halen's Frankenstrat.

Last edited:
A palate-cleansing blast from the past...

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we all agree to not bring up Scott again....he's like the 2nd coming of Ed Roman....just watch his video about the PRS 305 explaining how Paul has no idea how to build a guitar and that "his old stuff was SOOOO much better" and tell me it's not the Leprechaun!!

Back