PRS core line acoustics discontinued?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Guitars' started by Acoustic Guy, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Acoustic Guy

Acoustic Guy New Member

Brand new forum member and I wanted to put the question out there to those most likely to know -

Has PRS discontinued the American standard and custom range that fall between the SE and Private Stock acoustics?

2. GTRMAV

GTRMAV Authorized PRS Dealer
    Authorized PRS Dealer

Yes today unfortunately thats true... SE and Private Stock are the only options..
    The hunt for high quality used Core and AP Acoustic guitars, has become a quest for many of us...Some have Carbon Fiber Truss Rods, Some have the adjustable... Good Luck on your Hunt...

3. Acoustic Guy

Acoustic Guy New Member

Very sad indeed.

Any particular reason for this? Surprisingly, I suspect the Private Sticks and the growing SE line may have sold more than the Core and AP lines. PRS's Private Stocks are just incredible - I own one!

Noticed that some authorized dealers use to stock and sell more Private Stocks than Core line.

J

4. WeFixFlats

WeFixFlats Respect The Clave

It's my opinion that because of the competition(a good thing) in that product space($$$) PRS decided it was best to leave that market to the 'Big Three', Martin, Gibson, and Taylor.

5. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I have a Private Stock acoustic, and had a Core acoustic.The Core were equal in quality to the Private Stocks; they just had different bling.

My guess is that the Core acoustics were as expensive to make as the PS acoustics.

I don't think that was it; the Core acoustics were very expensive guitars, substantially more expensive than 99% of what you see from Martin, Gibson and Taylor, and weren't competing with what one sees on dealer walls from the three companies you mention.

PRS has never shied away from competition. I think they just were very expensive to build, and for that reason they went upmarket.

If you have the chance to pick up a used Core acoustic, do it. They're wonderful guitars!

#5 LSchefman, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  6. Whitecat

Whitecat Goes home to Starla

The Cores were also remarkably expensive. I think if you had that kind of cash to spend on what was certainly not a mainstream acoustic make then PS may be on your radar anyway.

7. Blues Trucker

Blues Trucker New Member

I thought I had seen a video that PRSh had decided to focus on something else for the time being rather than building up the acoustic line.Amps maybe? It sounded like he would get back to acoustics down the road..

8. Brian Baker

Brian Baker New Member

Disappointing, but not a surprise. My Tonare is magic, the best among many otherwise great acoustics. But $4K is a price point that stunts the market. Great product. Suck economy.

9. Audie

Audie New Member

Here is to hoping these come back this week. One can hope!