PRS Core Inlay Modifications

Smack

A while ago I mentioned the idea of changing inlays on my guitar. I've since found access to a laser cutter and acquired some abalone inlay blanks, as well as some wood for a fretboard. I reckon that in a couple months after Covid dies down somewhat, I'll give things a test cut to see how they turn out.

These are what I have designed so far. I want them to look the same style as the core model inlays but just a bit unique. I'm unsure about some of them though especially number fret 17, so can anyone give their opinions on any ways I can improve upon these before I start trialling cuts?

diX42X2.png

bh1ukJe.png

6oYlZlh.png

A while ago I mentioned the idea of changing inlays on my guitar. I've since found access to a laser cutter and acquired some abalone inlay blanks, as well as some wood for a fretboard. I reckon that in a couple months after Covid dies down somewhat, I'll give things a test cut to see how they turn out.

These are what I have designed so far. I want them to look the same style as the core model inlays but just a bit unique. I'm unsure about some of them though especially number fret 17, so can anyone give their opinions on any ways I can improve upon these before I start trialling cuts?

diX42X2.png

bh1ukJe.png

6oYlZlh.png

Very interesting idea. Marine life inlay like that would go well with color finishes such as Whale Blue or Beach Fade. Probably need a seashell in there somewhere too as well as a Chesapeake Bay Blue Crab.

Fantastic! Whatever you do, don't change the turtle at the 24th fret!

Haven't figured out what I'm seeing on the 17th fret tho.

Very interesting idea. Marine life inlay like that would go well with color finishes such as Whale Blue or Beach Fade. Probably need a seashell in there somewhere too as well as a Chesapeake Bay Blue Crab.

“Introduced to the Chesapeake Bay watershed by local fishermen and exotic aquariums in the late 20th century.”

SNAKEHEAD!

414505202.jpg

Or maybe a Chupacabra? :eek::eek::eek:

Love this idea! I agree with others though...the 17th fret is too cluttered, and transferring that to abalone and trying to inlay it looks like it would be a giant PITA.

I was just thinking that a Penguin is a nod to a PRS fretboard, with the flighted birds.

I suppose with that reasoning, it should be a Dodo!;)

Thanks for the replies all, looking back the 17 is way too cluttered, I was dead set on including a shoal of fish but if even a month later it still didn't turn out right it's probably time to drop it. The current colour is an aqua / light whale blue thing so it matches.

It'll be a while before I can start this, because we need to fix the laser cutter and build a new CNC, being a communal workspace that's proving troublesome with Covid restrictions so high at current.

One thing I didn't show was the headstock. Not yet thicknessed because I'll need to work out where the tuner holes are by hand and change that as I go.

02VLR1q.png

c2bc8b63-ed20-4c02-81f2-fa0cb9379854

I have a red Bird style PRS already, so I'm not fussed on leaving a bird on there, but I am warming to the idea of either a penguin or crab in place of tbh. Just don't know if a penguin would look out of place on it...

Back