PRS Core Cases - One time Baggage Hold Use?

vp101

Hey Folks,

I'm planning on getting a PRS Core 594 from either the US or UK. I live in South Asia and there are basically zero core models here so the best bet for me is to buy one in the States or UK and have a friend bring it down.

I've found a couple of really good ones and the issue is this - most airlines don't allow guitars in the cabin any more. I'm glad that the PRS core models come with hard cases. My question is one - for one time use, that is, just a one way trip, would the cases that come with the core models provide adequate protection?

Once it reaches me, I will keep it at my home and for local gigs, use a gig bag. For just one journey in the baggage hold, would the case that comes with core models provide adequate protection? Also, is there any specific packing advice y'all have? How about that wrapping film service at airports; is that any help?

I also want to address the fact that my friend who is bringing it down has zero knowledge about guitars; hence, shipping a separate flight case to him and expecting him to pack the guitars is a tall ask.

Thanks!

A few things I would add here.

1. Do pack the case inside a shipping box if possible as mentioned above (can probably get one from any guitar store in the area and it may be delivered to your friend inside of one of these). Inside that box, bubble wrap or cardboard reinforcements are a good idea as well.
2. Put fragile stickers all over the box. If you do not use a box around the case put fragile stickers all over the case itself!
3. If you ship it in the case only, I would either tape, bungee, strap or somehow secure the case to ensure it stays closed.

Do an internet search on the tetris game of loading an airplane cargo bin. You will see the environment this item will be packed in and it may help you make additional decisions about what measures you want to employ to ensure a safe delivery. Best of luck!!

I would look into this further and maybe contact the airline. There was a change a few years back where they allow a musical instrument to be classed as hand luggage. This link may help:

https://www.airlines.org/blog/instrument-rated-air-travel-for-musicians/

Of course you could always buy an extra ticket and allocate it a seat!

Thanks for the reply. The airline in question is British Airways and they clearly state that they do not allow musical instruments (of the size a guitar is) on board.

I've had a hard case come off an airplane with a hole right through the side. After that experience I'll never use just a regular hard case on an airplane. Usually you have up to 50lbs for a piece of luggage which means you can build something out of 'strapping' and heavy cardboard to further protect the case.

Hey Folks,

Got a PRS!

Here's a question. The overall package dimensions are 50 inches x 21 inches x 9 inches. Cumulatively this comes to 80 inches. However, I can see that airline baggage limits in terms of overall dimensions are 62 inches.

Anyone have any experience with packages that are a bigger than the dimension limit but under the weight? Would love some advice on dealing with airlines in this case. The overall weight is 13 kilos or 28 pounds. Here's the photo of the packaged guitar:

https://imgur.com/a/DxTWk1O
DxTWk1O

There was a change a few years back where they allow a musical instrument to be classed as hand luggage

TLDR;
  • Applies to US airlines only.
  • No guarantees that it gets on board (depending on space, who boarded before you, the people working that day).
  • It always pays to be nice to the people at the gate and on the plane. Many times they want to help and sometimes they have the ability.

Anyone have any experience with packages that are a bigger than the dimension limit but under the weight?

You can almost always pay extra for oversize luggage. Get to the airport early.

Not sure if they will gate check oversize items (which you're trying to carry on). Doubtful you can carry on a boxed guitar case.

Last edited:
Well I agree with everything others have said....but to answer you question about the case. PRS cases are pretty robust...probably one of the best if not the best of OEM cases.
That’s for sure. And they weigh a ton.. at least my paisley case does. Must be built from 1/2” plywood. But for flying, I’d definitely get a guitar box for it and pack it well…

Last edited:
Well I agree with everything others have said....but to answer you question about the case. PRS cases are pretty robust...probably one of the best if not the best of OEM cases.

That’s for sure. And they weigh a ton.. at least my paisley case does. Must be built from 1/2” plywood

I'd be most concerned with how the guitar fits in the case. If there's no slop and it's supported firmly all around, the guitar won't move inside or have forces focused on on part (e.g., the neck). This varies from guitar to guitar and case to case. My cases fit pretty tight....

No concerns about the exterior of these cases being a vulnerability. Unless a forklift goes through it, you're good.

I'd be most concerned with how the guitar fits in the case. If there's no slop and it's supported firmly all around, the guitar won't move inside or have forces focused on on part (e.g., the neck). This varies from guitar to guitar and case to case. My cases fit pretty tight....

No concerns about the exterior of these cases being a vulnerability. Unless a forklift goes through it, you're good.

I've found it keeps the PRS cased keep PRS guitars nice and snug.

Back