PRS CE24 98 Royal Blue

Luke8009

Hi guys, I own a 1998 PRS CE24, buyed in 1999, I was nineteen and I didn't bother with the specs, I fell in love at the first touch...

anyone can help me find what kind of pickup has got my model? I couldn't find an equal one on the web, it's a standard, it has dots on the neck, it has the 3-way toggle and push pull tone, i think has mohogany body without maple top, maple neck and rosewood fretboard, it's Royal Blue.

I've found similar model but they have the blade or the rotary switch, i think it has the HFS on the bridge and the Vintage Bass on the neck, can anyone confirm?

Sorry for bad english….

Welcome! Pull out the bridge pickup and look for a sticker on the bottom of it. If you do, post up some pictures!

Thanks Boogie, I have never unscrewed anything on this guitar except the adjustment screws.... isn't there another way?

Thanks Boogie, I have never unscrewed anything on this guitar except the adjustment screws.... isn't there another way?
To know for certain? No...

Next time you change the strings, take out the 4 screws and have a look. It won’t hurt or devalue anything.

To know for certain? No...

Next time you change the strings, take out the 4 screws and have a look. It won’t hurt or devalue anything.

It's not for the value, i'll never sell this guitar, even if I starve….
In a few weeks, when I change the strings I pull it out and take some pitcures
Thanks

It's easy. You'll see something like this...this is from my '91 CE
lwjxdKY.jpg

Welcome to the Forum and post some pics!!

Thanks Toothace,
if it's like yours there's no doubt just pulled out...

I can do some pics, but aesthetically it's nothing special, no birds, no maple top, just a semimetallic blue and black headstock

Probably HFS/Vintage, but I'm with the other guys, pull the 4 screws and let's have a look.

Take the screws out of the pickup ring not the height adjustment screws. Thought I'd mention that just in case.

Older CEs rock!!!

If you don't want to pull your guitar apart you can probably tell by getting cheap electrical test meter and measuring the pickups' resistance using a guitar lead.

Plug the lead in to the guitar as normal. Make sure the volume is fully on (10) then read the resistance using the meter. If as suggested in one of the posts above they're HFS bridge and Vintage Bass neck (VB) then the readings will be circa 15 K ohm HFS and about 8.5 K ohms for the VB (see chart below).

Reading via a guitar lead is not perfect but is probably about 95% accurate so fine as a guide.

Other things that might help are finding the specs from the year your guitar was made (people on here will probably know) or finding similar age guitars for sale and looking at what pickups they have listed (although people can get things wrong when listing guitars).

I also have a vauge (possibly incorrect) recollection the HFS and VB combo were the only pickups offered at that time that were 'zebra' (one black, one white coil) so if they're zebras then probably HFS / VB.

But as others have said the PUs should have stickers on them if you pop them out, so this is the best way to be sure.

IMG0966.jpeg

If you don't want to pull your guitar apart you can probably tell by getting cheap electrical test meter and measuring the pickups' resistance using a guitar lead.

Plug the lead in to the guitar as normal. Make sure the volume is fully on (10) then read the resistance using the meter. If as suggested in one of the posts above they're HFS bridge and Vintage Bass neck (VB) then the readings will be circa 15 K ohm HFS and about 8.5 K ohms for the VB (see chart below).

Reading via a guitar lead is not perfect but is probably about 95% accurate so fine as a guide.

Other things that might help are finding the specs from the year your guitar was made (people on here will probably know) or finding similar age guitars for sale and looking at what pickups they have listed (although people can get things wrong when listing guitars).

I also have a vauge (possibly incorrect) recollection the HFS and VB combo were the only pickups offered at that time that were 'zebra' (one black, one white coil) so if they're zebras then probably HFS / VB.

But as others have said the PUs should have stickers on them if you pop them out, so this is the best way to be sure.

IMG0966.jpeg

Thanks a lot, just tested, 14.9 for Bridge and 8.7 for Neck, it's an HFS + Vintage Bass,
Yea... the screws remain virgins...

Back