PRS CE volume issues

Paul Johnson

The volume pot on my CE stopped working recently. When I turn the pot to zero I still hear sound if I hit the the strings. The harder I hit the strings, the more sound that comes out of the amp. I’ve read this could be a cold solder but could it also be the exposed bit on the capacitor, I’ve included a pick below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SiRXCuFuZU2hXpTCmUxwfz3RPvFKl5Mb/view?usp=drivesdk

view

Last edited:
Paul,

Unless you have soldering & electronic schematic skills, bring the guitar to a qualified tech (not Guitar Center) who can assess your situation. Ask him to run a multimeter over the suspect potential points to check for continuity. What may be the issue is simply a solder joint that's gone bad. However, if the wiring is bad, that can be replaced for a reasonable fee. If the potentiometer is bad, that's an additional expense.

Just be sure you have a copy of the schematic of your CE (the one below will do) based on what year your CE is.

vEPYXvc.jpg

Thanks for the specs! I am still learning to solder and for now my skills have been reserved to my less expensive guitars. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the sheathing on the wire that leads to the output jack was frayed and a small part of the wire was touching the pot. I carefully lifted the wire a bit and the issue went away. For now, this will have to work. Once the shops near me get through their backlog I will take it in to be serviced. I called last week and they said it would be 2 months before they could work on my gear!

Last edited:
Back