PRS CE Models 00's 10's 20's Comparisons?

A little north of that, I think. I don't remember what the markup to a 10-top was in 2004, but I got a 10-top CU24 that year for around $2400.
The price delta for a 10-top (flame) in 2007 was $650. I gotta believe the markup in 2004 was about $500. So I think my estimate is OK.

But even if a non-10-top was $2100 in 2004, with inflation that isn't much more that $3200ish.

I love my 96! Although I cant leave anything alone, so it has a 59/09 bridge, Duncan Alnico II Pro neck, a 6-way toggle switch, new knobs and wiring, along with a Mann 1 piece bridge. Once upon a time this was a purple guitar, I got it about 15 years ago and have kept it cased when not playing to preserve the unique color it currently has. Anyway, I have not played a new CE, but i imagine the shallower top carve may have some comfort benefits, but I too feel like they cut a lot of corners and it is not the same instrument that they used to be as far as features and refinement.
gKLUknp.jpg

V2UXD3u.jpg

I love my 96! Although I cant leave anything alone, so it has a 59/09 bridge, Duncan Alnico II Pro neck, a 6-way toggle switch, new knobs and wiring, along with a Mann 1 piece bridge. Once upon a time this was a purple guitar, I got it about 15 years ago and have kept it cased when not playing to preserve the unique color it currently has. Anyway, I have not played a new CE, but i imagine the shallower top carve may have some comfort benefits, but I too feel like they cut a lot of corners and it is not the same instrument that they used to be as far as features and refinement.
gKLUknp.jpg

V2UXD3u.jpg
Hubba hubba.

I think it’s nonsense comparing the modern CEs to stuff from the 90’s. So much has changed. Nobody compares todays cores to the 90s like the CE is argued constantly about. The trem has changed. Tuners changed. Electronics. Pickups. Finishes. How can somebody compare a core from today to the 90’s? They would never sound the same. That’s like comparing a 50’s strat to a 70’s. It’s a whole different beast now. I’m pretty sure Paul is on record saying the guitars nowadays are superior to what they were cranking out decades ago. Everybody has their preferences. The new ones are phenomenal, and a good value brand new compared to cores. The used market is just as nice, as one can find some modern CEs at sub $1.4K; which is a bargain for a guitar with core level electronics (just last year they wanted $500 for the pickups alone!)

I think a lot of this is the misperception that the new CEs have sE level electronics. Somehow this has been repeated over and over since they got re-released. They only share the trem system. The rest is s2 tuners (which work great) and core parts. The maple finishes are gorgeous, clearly a step above S2, and for the most part, I’d say prettier than original CEs on average.

Me personally: I prefer a 3 way toggle. So the modern CE makes me happy. I did install a MannMade bridge. I feel a huge step up from the SE line. Well worth it. I think too many people are talking themselves out of trying one!

I think it’s nonsense comparing the modern CEs to stuff from the 90’s. So much has changed. Nobody compares todays cores to the 90s like the CE is argued constantly about. The trem has changed. Tuners changed. Electronics. Pickups. Finishes. How can somebody compare a core from today to the 90’s? They would never sound the same. That’s like comparing a 50’s strat to a 70’s. It’s a whole different beast now. I’m pretty sure Paul is on record saying the guitars nowadays are superior to what they were cranking out decades ago. Everybody has their preferences. The new ones are phenomenal, and a good value brand new compared to cores. The used market is just as nice, as one can find some modern CEs at sub $1.4K; which is a bargain for a guitar with core level electronics (just last year they wanted $500 for the pickups alone!)

I think a lot of this is the misperception that the new CEs have sE level electronics. Somehow this has been repeated over and over since they got re-released. They only share the trem system. The rest is s2 tuners (which work great) and core parts. The maple finishes are gorgeous, clearly a step above S2, and for the most part, I’d say prettier than original CEs on average.

Me personally: I prefer a 3 way toggle. So the modern CE makes me happy. I did install a MannMade bridge. I feel a huge step up from the SE line. Well worth it. I think too many people are talking themselves out of trying one!
My '95 and '97 CE22's.
And here's my '00 CE22.

The Dragon 1 pickups in my '95 and '97 are my very favorites for rocking out. Powerful but smooth rock tone with just a touch of crunch on top.

I don't love using the 5 position rotary switch but I do like the tones it gets - especially from the Dragon 1 set.

Today's locking tuners are easier to use than the Phase 1 tuners my CE's came with.

Around '98 or '99 PRS replaced the Dragon 1's with Dragon 2's.

A lot of CE22 enthusiasts think that was a mistake. I do!

My '00 originally had Dragon 2's. They're not bad, and the neck pickups seem to be the same pickup in both the Dragon 1 and 2 sets - just covered vs. no cover.

But if you're used to the strong, full, vocal tone of the Dragon 1 bridge pickup the Dragon 2 is going to sound a little underpowered.

The necks on all three of my CE's are similar. Wide/Full? Wide/Fat? They're all about the same.

The '00 is the heaviest of the three but it doesn't affect its tone unless it's for the good. It has the best sustain and seems to be the most resonant of the three.

Last edited:
I think in the 90’s most of them were wide/fat. I honestly love wide/fat and wide/thin equal. Which is the same as pattern and pattern thin nowadays. PRS neck carves are excellent. I can go from a pattern vintage to a Dustie carve with ease. They all feel home. I wish I could say the same for fenders. I don’t like their deep C profile. I think their U shape feels better for a fatter profile. I think their modern C was a home run but they ditched it for the deep C that epically fails to capture the 60’s carve in my opinion.

If you get a new one, you will love it. You might decide to upgrade the trem. You might not see the need.

If you get an old one, you will love it. You might decide to try some different pickups. You might not see the need.

Can’t go wrong.

I have three 1997 CEs. Love em.

From what I understand, the SE trem was used for its tonal contribution.

The top carve is different. The cavity covers aren't flush mounted and the tuners are a variation of ph2s.

Scarf joint on neck too I think.

I can't get excited about owning one. I don't really care for 8515 bridge pickup and I'd have to fight the urge for a Mann one piece trem.

I have a set of 8515 PUs that I may put in my ce24. It has a rotary switch so that will be different. I just want to try them in the format they were meant for just to see.

Is there a year in particular when the CE22 went from Core-level quality production to whatever it is now? Or what to look for? I'm looking at what looks to be a nice one from 2006 with what looks to be a plain mahogany body. Love to grab it, but I wouldn't be able to try it first.

Is there a year in particular when the CE22 went from Core-level quality production to whatever it is now? Or what to look for? I'm looking at what looks to be a nice one from 2006 with what looks to be a plain mahogany body. Love to grab it, but I wouldn't be able to try it first.
They discontinued the CE22 in 2008. It was always core level production and there was no term core then. They made all hog bodies without the maple caple. Same construction quality.

2006 would be the old core level CE. They discontinued them for a while and when they started making them again was when they made the changes.

2006 would be the old core level CE. They discontinued them for a while and when they started making them again was when they made the changes.
Thanks all. I think I misconstrued some of the earlier posts.

Only trouble with the old CEs is theres no semihollow options :p

That said now that I have my S/H '19 CE, I do keep an eye on old CE22s. Some really killer used values there....

I’d be ALL OVER that stoptail if I were you.
2 hesitations...
1. I really like the way the trem bridge sits on PRSi even if I never use them
2. Is there enough if a tone difference between a 'hog CE and my Standard 22?

Back