outworldfingers

I have an older PRS CE 24 and wanted to know which position gives what tone.

I found this:
  • Position 10: Humbucking treble (bridge) pickup alone
  • Position 9: Outside coils of both pickups in parallel for what PRS calls a “deep and clear” sound
  • Position 8: Series single coils – PRS describes this as a “warm version of the classic in-between the bridge and middle pickups”
  • Position 7: Parallel single coils – Here PRS describes the sound as a “crisp version of the in-between the treble and middle pickups”
  • Position 6: Humbucking bass (neck) pickup alone
So does this mean that 10 = les paul-esque, 9 = strat 2 or 4 esque, 8 tele-esque, 7 = strat 2 or 4 esque, and 6 = SG-esque?

I have an older PRS CE 24 and wanted to know which position gives what tone.

I found this:
  • Position 10: Humbucking treble (bridge) pickup alone
  • Position 9: Outside coils of both pickups in parallel for what PRS calls a “deep and clear” sound
  • Position 8: Series single coils – PRS describes this as a “warm version of the classic in-between the bridge and middle pickups”
  • Position 7: Parallel single coils – Here PRS describes the sound as a “crisp version of the in-between the treble and middle pickups”
  • Position 6: Humbucking bass (neck) pickup alone
So does this mean that 10 = les paul-esque, 9 = strat 2 or 4 esque, 8 tele-esque, 7 = strat 2 or 4 esque, and 6 = SG-esque?

9 is more like a Tele in the middle position
8 is Strat 2/4 on steroids
7 is Strat 2/4

Eh, they're you're pretty typical humbucker sounds. I don't associate them with any other guitar in particular.
Yea, trying to compare the 5-way rotary sounds of the CE to other guitars ends up not being that helpful. They sound like what they sound like.

9 is more like a Tele in the middle position
8 is Strat 2/4 on steroids
7 is Strat 2/4
Yes, spot on! Love the sounds from a Cu/Ce24 with a rotary. Ergonomics aside (which I personally like), it looks so cool as well.

I especially LOVE that '9' position, and with the tone rolled off about halfway and volume up, it can also sound very much like a LP middle position ... which was by some accounts originally developed to sound like a Tele, so there's that.

Yes, spot on! Love the sounds from a Cu/Ce24 with a rotary. Ergonomics aside (which I personally like), it looks so cool as well.

I especially LOVE that '9' position, and with the tone rolled off about halfway and volume up, it can also sound very much like a LP middle position ... which was by some accounts originally developed to sound like a Tele, so there's that.
That's nice to know, Thanks

I'll keep that in mind, I just wanted a base for the sounds.
Of course, trying to connect it to something more familiar is the first thing I’d want to do as well. Since the PRS pickups are their own thing, and with the series/parallel wiring, and then the flipped magnet in (I believe) the neck pickup that PRS did with those 5-way rotary pickups - it’s just hard to compare it to something else accurately.

After getting my CE-22 with a rotary, and having certain expectations, I discovered that it sounded like single coils but not like my Strat, and also not like my (short lived) SG or Les Pauls, haha. It was different, and I really grew to like it.

Of course, trying to connect it to something more familiar is the first thing I’d want to do as well. Since the PRS pickups are their own thing, and with the series/parallel wiring, and then the flipped magnet in (I believe) the neck pickup that PRS did with those 5-way rotary pickups - it’s just hard to compare it to something else accurately.

After getting my CE-22 with a rotary, and having certain expectations, I discovered that it sounded like single coils but not like my Strat, and also not like my (short lived) SG or Les Pauls, haha. It was different, and I really grew to like it.
That will probably happen to me too, I will disassociate them quickly.

Back