PRS Causing More Indigestion than "GAS" ...

All of my SE Singlecuts were made in Korea. I always assumed that meant South Korea.

Not sure it matters all that much.

Everyone needs to work.

For a long time I wouldn't buy Chinese products because of what they did to Tibet and the people of Tibet.

Eventually it became almost impossible to avoid buying Chinese products and I gave up.

Besides, America's hands are as dirty as any other country's.

I don't care what 'Dylan' says, that's just 1 person's opinion
Neither do I ! But his You Tube review of the SE McCarty was one of the ones I first stumbled across...
Dylan, is trying to sell his own humbuckers, so that may influence what he says ...

But I was struggling to hear why I might want one of these ... And I do like the old S2 McCarty 594 (except I wish they came with Pattern/ Pattern Thin neck profiles)
If you don't like the price of 58/15's from PRS, maybe find some other 'brand' that offers a 'similar' style HB.
I just do not understand, in the face of several well regarded pickup makers, why PRS cost so much more ...
Awhile back, ish Guitars did a comparo between the Lambertones "Crema" pickup which I guess was a well regarded boutique pickup, vs the 58/15 Core, which was not for sale at the time

My own take was that they both sounded good, but were a tad "bright" for my tastes. But in that to me at least (and maybe because of system/YouTube fidelity issues) .... They sounded very very close. I have not checked price on the Lambertone recently, but they sold for $350 bucks. PRS even back then with other pickup type, now available for sale, tend to price at $500 ... Not sure what makes the PRS worth $150 bucks more. AND I am sure I could find a Seymour Duncan pickup for around $200 that do essentially the same thing...

My KoolAid does not work anymore I guess ...

Last edited:
Neither do I ! But his You Tube review of the SE McCarty was one of the ones I first stumbled across...
Dylan, is trying to sell his own humbuckers, so that may influence what he says ...

But I was struggling to hear why I might want one of these ... And I do like the old S2 McCarty 594 (except I wish they came with Pattern/ Pattern Thin neck profiles)

I just do not understand, in the face of several well regarded pickup makers, why PRS cost so much more ...
Awhile back, ish Guitars did a comparo between the Lambertones "Crema" pickup which I guess was a well regarded boutique pickup, vs the 58/15 Core, which was not for sale at the time

My own take was that they both sounded good, but were a tab "bright" for my tastes. But in that to me at least (and maybe because of system/YouTube fidelity issues) .... They sounded very very close to me. I have not checked price on the Lambertone recently, but they sold for $350 bucks. PRS even back then with other types, tend to price as $500 ... Not sure what makes the PRS worth $150 bucks more. AND I am sure I could find a Seymour Duncan pickup for around $200 that do essentially the same thing...

My KoolAid does not work anymore I guess ...
Paul seems to respect Seymour Duncan. I have Duncan Custom Shop pickups in all of my PRS SE guitars.

Except for my Silver Sky which I love as is and my SE Soapbar which has Gibson P90’s.

Paul seems to respect Seymour Duncan.
Gee that's a good thing ! The guy almost single handedly created the aftermarket pickup business :)

And gee, He makes his $$$ selling pickups, not guitars, so I think his firm might be a bit more focused on pickup design as opposed to a luthier ...
I’ve never heard of Lambertones. It’s like they don’t even have a marketing department they have to pay.
Well... not my fault , you are uninformed :) Get your nose outta that KoolAid ! :) :)

Bottom line for me, is that with this latest round of product announcements, my Price Elasticity of Demand has been reached. (More Econ 101) Back when I could drink CocaCola, it was a knee jerk reaction to buy at $. 99 a 2 liter bottle (like glass better , but now its plastik)

But when prices were higher than $.99 cents, I'd buy less, or not at all. I guess I have reached that point with PRS. In fairness, I reached that elasticity limit with Fender awhile ago,. Their allegedly LCC (Low Cost Country) MIM stuff ??? Waay out there price wise. IF you are going to produce in LCC's to cut costs, then move that stuff to Indonesia, where apparently labor is lower, and quality is acceptable to high . Maybe capacity issues save Fender Ensenada ...

My problem with the latest round of SE pricing, is that although it is Indonesian made ... it is high priced compared to new competitors on the scene.. Sire, E-ART (check Phil McKnight's You Tube of E-Art under the heading "This EART is Proof We Pay Too Much for a Name) ... even Harley Benton :)

I have no problem with folks making $$$. I want them to, so they will make my next guitar. BUT ... There is also some "loyalty" due CUSTOMERS... to hold the line where possible , and not take advantage of every thing to raise prices (like Oil Companies , where Inelastic Demand is a thing) ... It think that gets forgotten at times...

But I am currently buying guitars ... will have taken in 2 P90 models in the last month ...Yay Competition !

Last edited:
And Throbaks are in the $700 neighborhood.
They wound with silver wire ? :) Cats in Grand Rapids are kinda crazy anyway.

Heck, I'll start winding pickups. Price 'em at $1,000 a set. Everyone will "know " they are good ! They cost $1,000.00 !!!

Last edited:
They wound with silver wire ? :) Cats in Grand Rapids are kinda crazy anyway.

Heck, I'll start winding pickups. Price 'em at $1,000 a set. Everyone will "know " they are good ! They cost $1,000.00 !!!
Submit them to Doug and Pat…those two seem to know their stuff. Big fans of Throbak too.

Last edited:
Gee that's a good thing ! The guy almost single handedly created the aftermarket pickup business :)

And gee, He makes his $$$ selling pickups, not guitars, so I think his firm might be a bit more focused on pickup design as opposed to a luthier ...

Well... not my fault , you are uninformed :) Get your nose outta that KoolAid ! :) :)

Bottom line for me, is that with this latest round of product announcements, my Price Elasticity of Demand has been reached. (More Econ 101) Back when I could drink CocaCola, it was a knee jerk reaction to buy at $. 99 a 2 liter bottle (like glass better , but now its plastik)

But when prices were higher than $.99 cents, I'd buy less, or not at all. I guess I have reached that point with PRS. In fairness, I reached that elasticity limit with Fender awhile ago,. Their allegedly LCC (Low Cost Country) MIM stuff ??? Waay out there price wise. IF you are going to produce in LCC's to cut costs, then move that stuff to Indonesia, where apparently labor is lower, and quality is acceptable to high . Maybe capacity issues save Fender Ensenada ...

My problem with the latest round of SE pricing, is that although it is Indonesian made ... it is high priced compared to new competitors on the scene.. Sire, E-ART (check Phil McKnight's You Tube of E-Art under the heading "This EART is Proof We Pay Too Much for a Name) ... even Harley Benton :)

I have no problem with folks making $$$. I want them to, so they will make my next guitar. BUT ... There is also some "loyalty" due CUSTOMERS... to hold the line where possible , and not take advantage of every thing to raise prices (like Oil Companies , where Inelastic Demand is a thing) ... It think that gets forgotten at times...

But I am currently buying guitars ... will have taken in 2 P90 models in the last month ...Yay Competition !
My point was there’s a lot more expenses (and profits, hopefully) running a big @ss luxury guitar brand than there is some boutique pickup winding business.

PRS has over 200 people working for them, many of them with real degrees that demand real salaries that have nothing to do with building guitars. They’ve spent years spending money on building their business as a luxury guitar brand.

It’s basically Gucci pricing vs. Etsy pricing. I’m not saying it’s a good value or anything, it’s just… that’s what it is. If you want PRS pickups for some reason, you’ll pay for ‘em.

Throbak pickup’s were already way high priced before inflation. Now they’re just way-way too high priced for me to justify buying them. I do still use their strings though.

Back