PRS Case Smell

Gibson67v

Have you ever noticed the smell of a PRS Guitar Case... like when it's still fresh?

I used to hate getting new Gibson Guitars because the cases smelled like a mix between play-do and marshmallows... and it was STRONG!!!

The PRS Guitar Case just smells like... I'm about to play a wicked guitar!

I don't have to air out the PRS case... Gibson's I would leave open for weeks until the smell dissipated...

I know it's a weird thread... and I can't include Fenders or whatever else on it because I only had a few and it was so long ago that I don't remember there being a smell... but I can remember in '97 thinking "That doesn't smell bad!!"

might be the only cologne I would ever wear... and it would make me want to buy more guitars!!! GENIUS!!!

oh yeah... NGD w/pics to come later... finally got my P22... I'm waiting for better light for pictures!

:D
This has been discussed at length, so it's not a weird thread. It's an intoxicating smell, yes. Most of us love it. I'm trying to remember what people were hypothesizing it might be...I recall, glue being brought up. That's all I remember.

When I got my SG May of 2012, there was a huge thread on the Gibson board.
The smell was like vanilla, and some said it was the nitro finish gassing, where others said it was the glue used in the cases.
My SG case still smells like that when I open it up.
And yes, I put the SG to my nose :D
It smells like vanilla too, but it could just be picking it up from the case.

I have several PRS hard cases, and they smell great, not quite as strong as the Gibson factory case.

I still have 1 Gibson left (Not my cup of tea anymore... after having 8). Thankfully my Acoustic Case never smelled like that! so it must be the glue... BUT... the same case manufacturer makes cases for some other companies in Canada and they didn't smell that way... so I'm not sure... but I can tell you that is was WAY STRONGER on White Gibson Guitars.

Our bass player just showed up at practice this morning with a new Gibson EB (which he bought while waiting on his Grainger order from January!). The case reeks!

Old Porsche 911's have a smell all their own inside. I dig the fact that PRS has latched on to that concept. Scent is a powerful thing.

I have a 25+ year old Charvel case that had a nasty smell when I got it. It still has it, and I don't think it's dissipated at all.

PRS cases smell heavenly...but I think that's because I associate the smell with the guitars before I defile them.

No idea about the case smell...

Recently bought a 25th Anniversary 24 Custom....love it.

They brought out the case....white.....let me repeat....white....like Liberace....or.....Wayne Newton......or.....Sarah Brightman.....

So I ended up taking it home with a SE gig bag.

Still trying to figure that one out.....

And the bag is without a scent....as close as I can tell.

Bob

The white cases are items of extreme awesomeness. Although the cool guys all have paisley, too.

So you traded a $200 hard case for a $50 gig bag because you were afraid of looking like a sissy?

You blew it.

Yours truly,
Wladziu Valentino Liberace

"I may be dead, but that doesn't stop me from wearing rhinestones!"

Last edited:
Paisley works....white becomes...grey or brown....nothing about looks...all about usability. My cases
do not leave the house...no one would know...all about sleeping well at night.

Love the cases with Pauls Guitars....hope to add one in time....

They discounted the case....

Oh, I avoid the cool guys too....

Truly glad I blew it.

Regards,

Bob

I have Martin case with such a strong glue odor I get a little light headed every time I open it. The guitar itself smells very nice (like Madagascar RW and Adi Spruce should). My Angelus case smells so good I'd sleep in it if I could fit.

Paisley works....white becomes...grey or brown....nothing about looks...all about usability.

Not to nit-pick too much, Bob, but if it's only about usability, why the mention of Liberace, then?

Incidentally, I have one of the 25th Anni White Cases of Extreme Awesomeness, and it hasn't discolored at all. But I'm glad you're glad that you blew it.

I'm glad for you, too.

Sincerely,

Liberace

P.S. Swarovski crystals on the ends of the case make an especially attractive presentation.

Last edited:
Nothing to do with him...all about the "bling" of the case...which would be fabulous in a black with paisley...dark grey with stars...etc.

His talent allowed a certain extravagance that worked...fabulously....

My impression of the case in a somewhat old, squalid Guitar Center in Arlington, Texas....where they had to look for over an hour to find the case...
which must have been holding up a stack of old boxes...was less than ideal.

Probably a poor analogy....

Sincere apology to all.

I will return to ghosting the threads....

Bob

Nothing to do with him...all about the "bling" of the case...which would be fabulous in a black with paisley...dark grey with stars...etc.

His talent allowed a certain extravagance that worked...fabulously....

My impression of the case in a somewhat old, squalid Guitar Center in Arlington, Texas....where they had to look for over an hour to find the case...
which must have been holding up a stack of old boxes...was less than ideal.

Probably a poor analogy....

Sincere apology to all.

I will return to ghosting the threads....

Bob

Was only teasing you, Bob. Now that you're here, hang out with everyone!

I'm not sure what it is, but the first thing I do when I take my guitar out of its case is smell the neck. It makes me smile every time.

Back