PRS Cable

DHW

So I had been using a gold plated planet waves cable for quite a while as well as a few fender cables over the years. The last cable I had didn't last but maybe a month... I decided to splurge and bought a PRS branded cable. First of all the thing is MUCH thinner than anything I have ever used before and more flexible. When I plugged it in I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I ran it through some good studio headphones just to be sure... Probably 1/4 the static and the sound was much improved, much much much improved. Harmonics were clear and crisp and it just sounded great. I guess it is worth the extra 50%...

You had static on your cables? It wasn't a connection thing? Whoa...

I haven't experienced that. My cables are Mogami.

I've been using Planet Waves for a good few years now. The cheap ones are just that and have given up after little use. It the ones I paid a small fortune for are going strong even after gigs, being stood on by drunks, me, etc...

When they go I'll get some Van Damme cables. The best of the best! They make the PRS ones.. Made in England too... Not often I can say that!

Not a lot of static but at high gain you can hear it through the cheaper cables. The PRS cable is nearly silent on a blackstar ht5r with the gain at about 7 and volume on 4. The overall clarity of the instrument was almost startling, distracting really. I'm sure I will get used to it though :) life as a cork sniffer is good!

Aside from longevity I've noticed no difference between cheap cables and quality cables. Other than patch cables. Cheap patch cables are insanely cheap.

The overall clarity of the instrument was almost startling, distracting really. I'm sure I will get used to it though :) life as a cork sniffer is good!
I remember that feeling. Cheers!

Cables have different capacitance and as a result, there are sonic differences between cables in terms of high frequency loss, and also the construction and materials affect their ability to reject hum and noise.

In the most general terms, the lower the capacitance, the less high frequency roll off for a given length.

There red are also differences in flexibility, whether they'll lay flat and untangle easily, etc.

i switched from Mogami to PRS/VanDamme because I found they reject hum and noise a little better, I like the sound, and they're more flexible, so very easy to work with in the studio. I have about a half dozen longer cables, and have them on my pedalboard as well.

My experience with the cables bears out VanDamme's claim that in designing these, they paid extra attention to rejection of EMI, RFI, etc. In addition there is less handling noise, for example, when moving around in my studio, than the Mogami I was using, and that says a lot since Mogami is a studio standard cable and most top studios in the US are wired with it (my studio is, too).

I've used very stiff solid core high end cable with less capacitance, but I found it impossible to work with and I was always getting tangled. So the PRS is my new guitar cable standard.

Last edited:
Cables have different capacitance and as a result, there are sonic differences between cables in terms of high frequency loss, and also the construction and materials affect their ability to reject hum and noise.

In the most general terms, the lower the capacitance, the less high frequency roll off for a given length.

There red are also differences in flexibility, whether they'll lay flat and untangle easily, etc.

i switched from Mogami to PRS/VanDamme because I found they reject hum and noise a little better, I like the sound, and they're more flexible, so very easy to work with in the studio. I have about a half dozen longer cables, and have them on my pedalboard as well.

My experience with the cables bears out VanDamme's claim that in designing these, they paid extra attention to rejection of EMI, RFI, etc. In addition there is less handling noise, for example, when moving around in my studio, than the Mogami I was using, and that says a lot since Mogami is a studio standard cable and most top studios in the US are wired with it (my studio is, too).

I've used very stiff solid core high end cable with less capacitance, but I found it impossible to work with and I was always getting tangled. So the PRS is my new guitar cable standard.

Now I need to replace the rest of the cables in the signal chain... Probably clean up that last little bit.

I went prs cables a few years ago. No more problems of any kind, including my P-90 SE SInglecuts.

Just a little PSA: Don't fall for the gold plated schtick. Gold has less resistance than copper etc; that much is true. But once you couple a gold plug to a nickel plated jack (or whatever it is), the transfer through the connection is WORSE than if the plug was nickel as well. Use gold with gold, nickel with nickel, and don't mix. Or rather I should say: don't pay for it if you don't have to, there is no benefit. Limited detriment, though, I'm sure.

I got my PRS Cable free as part of the 2012 TY Pack when I bought my Siggy - that was an INSANE pack, cable, strap, 24 sets of strings, polish, fretboard conditioner, cloth!!! The cable quickly became my favorite. When I saw how flexible it was I couldn't believe how good it sounded. I got some super duper Monster Cable ProLink blah blah a few years ago on a closeout online, it was so damn stiff that I hated it. Sounds pretty good, but not as good as the VanDamme.

What's the difference between the two styles, does anyone know? E.G. ACC-7001-18R vs. ACC-7001-18RS...I mean, besides the obvious...

What's the difference between the two styles, does anyone know? E.G. ACC-7001-18R vs. ACC-7001-18RS...I mean, besides the obvious...

The one with the "S" at the end has the silent plug on the guitar side, which grounds the signal cable when it's unplugged -- so no buzz while you're fumbling about. It works really well IME.

Back