PRS Cabinet Speaker Swap

That's interesting! Something you can record before you swap?

Two identical pairs of V30's(T3904A) in two identical PRS cabinets?...

My DG Custom Cabinet also has those same V30's and they also have the audible symptom;they will also be replaced:sooner rather than later.

It's not a symptom of a problem, actually. It's just how the speakers distort, throw off harmonics, etc. All speakers do different things, and that's why they make lots of speakers to choose from. :)

I like the things V-30s do, but I also like the things lots of other speakers do. I guess I'm easy.

OK, we won't guess. I'm very, very easy.

Speakers are a funny thing. I have a 112 combo that was originally mated to a classic lead. It sounded really really good but not great. One day I was in an experimental mood and was swapping around speakers and decided to try a "Wolverine" speaker that I had from an old TSL combo. Now that speaker lives in my H&K 112 combo. I always feel like it "shouldn't" be there, almost like I'm doing something wrong but it just sounds so good I can't bring myself to take it out. :eek::oops:

That's interesting! Something you can record before you swap?

I've uploaded a before and after to soundcloud. What's interesting is that while recording and listening with headphones and live and fairly loud in the room, you can hear the differences(cone wobble on the 3rd of the interval) but on soundcloud not so much, if at all...oh well; it just irks the crap out of me.

https://soundcloud.com/search/sounds?q=we fix flats

After this test track, I have all my other instrumentals..."Hot Seat" is kinda fun...thanks for listening~!

Last edited:
WFF, I'll check this out tonight when I get home. Meantime, re: the struggle with getting it to tape... If it is a cone node, it maybe be way more audible in front of the amp, but if you're micing the speaker and the mic isn't close to the offending node area, the mic might not get it to well. How did you mic up?

You've got me really interested since I have the PRS cab/V30s as well.

As far as miking goes, I used a Sennheiser e906 about 18" in the front of the cabinet, dead center, thinking I could get the best sample of both speakers, that clearly failed. No worries: the Grissom cabinet is going to get a pair of the WGS ET-90's, their interpretation of the Celestion G12H-75(Creamback) in any case.:)

It's important to get your very own rig sounding the way you, the player, want it to sound. I'm all for it, personally, even though I'm good with the V-30s. Players need to express their own tastes and sonic ideas, right?

The 3rd and final pair of T3904A aka Celestion Vintage 30 have been replaced with the WGS ET-90, their interpretation of the Celestion G12H-75(Creamback). I can hear an immediate difference between the sets. The ET-90's, to my ear, are much cleaner and more 'hi fidelity'. Which was the goal: no to very little speaker breakup and let the amps do all the real work.

rxZI3an.jpg

The H speakers are also a little scooped in the mids, which does make them sound more "hi-fi" and also the low cone breakup makes them even more hi-fi. I really need to try some Warehouse speakers, as my two V30s in my PRS Pine cab can almost be honky with my Classic 50. So, I'm especially interested in how this cab compares to the 65/vet cab... Leaving one V30ish speaker in and the 65 is not quite as deep. Needless to say, I'll also be watching when you later swap one of these 90s in with the vet to see how that works. ;)

Really interested on your thoughts on all these once you've put some mileage on them.

I'll also be watching when you later swap one of these 90s in with the vet to see how that works

I'm done for quite a while now. The hassle of removing and installing all the backpanel screws(even with a power driver) on a pair of PRS 2x12's(not to mention the soldering) wears me out.
What I am going to do, in the near future, is hook up both the Vet30/ET65 and the ET90/ET90 cabinets to my amps, separate them by several feet, crank it up and compare. But for now, I'm just enjoying them as is, standalone, compared to the original speakers.

I'm done for quite a while now. The hassle of removing and installing all the backpanel screws(even with a power driver) on a pair of PRS 2x12's(not to mention the soldering) wears me out.

Got a big grin out of that. It's exactly why I haven't tried the Celestion Alnico 90s!

Last time I changed speakers was on a Two-Rock cab, and my back was sore for a week! And that cab had machine screws and T-nuts that are easier to work with than wood screws (at least for me).

OK, what will drive you more crazy than a buzz from a cabinet? In this case, it wasn't the speaker frames from the new pair(I'd made sure they were tight but not 'too tight' so the gaskets wouldn't be too compressed or the backpanel not being screwed down enough)...it was the grill on the back buzzing~! So instead of removing the more than 80 staples that held the grill(I counted), I came up with this solution: I cut up T-shirt, took a small part of it, wrapped it around the two baffle holes, apply decal. Problem Solved.

mcybxzf.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job Mr. FixIt! The ET-90s are alluring...you like them that much better than the 65s? Other than the point of break up, tonally, are they identical?

Back