PRS Brand Strap

aphantomvaper

Bend it to the Owl!
I bought one of the straps off the marketplace for one of my latest fleet additions since the straps were on sale and hey, a PRS strap would be cool on a PRS guitar! Got the Silver/Black 2".

Does anyone else have or use one of these? I received it today and tried it out, but want to hear anyone else's experience cos frankly, I'm surprised they would sell a strap made like this.

I have several PRS straps. All have been really good quality, and I’ve been happy with them. My only mild complaint is that they could be a bit longer.

I’ll admit that I’m not sure which strap you are referring to though.

Not sure which strap, either, but...I've had a few PRS straps over the years, and like them all...
they've offered different levels of straps...from inexpensive ($) to really nice ($$$$$).
(I've occasionally had to lengthen the slit at each end a smidge, but than they fit over the PRS buttons very snugly.:D)

I bought one of the straps off the marketplace for one of my latest fleet additions since the straps were on sale and hey, a PRS strap would be cool on a PRS guitar! Got the Silver/Black 2".

Does anyone else have or use one of these? I received it today and tried it out, but want to hear anyone else's experience cos frankly, I'm surprised they would sell a strap made like this.
Details...?

The metal on the strap ends scored the S2 within 2 minutes of having it on. The metal rivets protrude some which isn't a big deal on the upper horn but the rear is not good.

When I bent over to tweak a pedal knob the rivet slipped past the edge of the guitar and when I stood up it snapped back over, scoring the finish. We all hate the sound of metal tapping the guitar finish.

This strap is going back. I checked my other straps; it seems none have any metal rivets in them so I didn't even consider this.

It was a dream to score my S2 594 from the dealer, and a nightmare to score it with this strap.

That's it for this tale. Have any of you had this happen?

I bought an ‘embroidered birds’ strap and have to say it’s underwhelming. It’s a pretty average, slim strap, and the grey embroidery is so subtle to be virtually invisible, not least because set at my length (I wear my guitar high to minimise my wrist/hand angle), it is on the back of my left shoulder. The embroidery isn’t that good either having a low density is stitches. It’s the first PRS accessory that I’ve found to be average at best.

I’ve gone back to my black, wide Levy strap....it’s lovely.

I only use all leather straps, even though I love the look of some of the tooled western ones. Metal on straps means scratches in my mind, and I want my guitars to last forever. Most of my PRS have PRS all leather straps on them.

I believe I have a PRS strap. I have a lot of straps and don't really pay much attention to them. The one I'm thinking is PRS is a very soft leather and pretty comfortable.

I assume this is what you bought:

https://reverb.com/item/36604868-pr...tion-2-retro-design-guitar-strap-silver-black

Or the PRS product page:
https://us.prsaccessories.com/collections/straps/products/retro-design-2-guitar-strap-limited-2

I dunno, the design doesn't look too different from so many others out there. I must admit I avoid straps with metal for the reasons you encountered, but that is typical of the design. But the rivets, from the photos I have seen which just show the top side, seem smooth enough that you shouldn't encounter the issues you did. A bit of bad luck I suppose, or some poorly-set rivets.

I use a few PRS leather straps, a couple of the hootenanny style, a few of the regular nylon straps, a couple of suede ones (my wife has one for one of her basses, along with a couple of leather PRS straps), and I have a bunch of third-party straps in a variety of styles from a variety of companies. Never had any issues with straps causing damage. Guess I'm lucky.

Last edited:
I never thought about it before but I'm surprised to see the metal the way it is. It seems like the thought is: metal rivets are more durable than stitching. But they should sew in a flap of fabric/leather to cover the metal.

I have the suede PRS strap and am very happy with it. It's not an expensive leather strap but feels well made and worth at least as much as the price tag.

Sorry to hear about the damage to your guitar ... :(. I have three of the Leather Birds Straps and one Suede version. The leather birds is the pick of the two styles as it is just the right width for me, is nice and soft and fits the strap buttons perfectly. And no rivets or metal bits!

I have to admit to this. I pulled out the strap I posted about to give it a look-see. Lo and behold, it is NOT a PRS strap but a DR strap. DOH! Shows how much attention I pay to my straps. I don't even remember buying a DR strap.

I only use all leather straps, even though I love the look of some of the tooled western ones. Metal on straps means scratches in my mind, and I want my guitars to last forever. Most of my PRS have PRS all leather straps on them.

I like some straps with metal on them myself. I found out real quick why I don't have more with metal. I still have one with metal but its on a tele I built that's ok with me if it relics over time. A good quality leather strap 2-2.5" for me works every time. I've thought about a PRS strap a time or two but these days I'm pretty loyal to italia or franklin. The adjustable slider style straps are convenient when swapping from guitar to guitar, but when I get a guitar I get a strap for it too. I do have a fabric slider that I travel with though.

I assumed it was this strap (or a version of it). I have one of these, and I was wracking my brain trying to remember where the metal was. Then I remembered - I bring the metal! (In my mind, at least!)

ACC-123115_2_1000x.jpg

Almost all of my straps are all leather, partly so I don't have to worry about that situation. I do have one studded strap, and I'm very careful about handling it while I put it on the guitar. That doesn't mean that it doesn't get away from me sometimes, and I always cringe.

I just got a red leather “birds” strap in the mail today. It’s outstanding quality, similar to the Perri’s brand that I’ve used in the past. The PRS strap button holes seems larger and fit my new 594 perfectly

Back