PRS Brain Trust, advice needed: SC vs SC

Trading my LP for which Singlecut:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johnny Rigs

"Hold on to your butts" - Samuel L Jackson
I need the help of the collective in deciding which of these two trade opportunities to go with, as I’m letting my Les Paul go. Both are valued the same in the trade, and I need to pick soon. For reference, my others are a DGT and two older CE variations.

2006 Singlecut Satin - Artist Package

2011 Stripped 58 w/ birds

Pros/Cons:
- I love the color of the Singlecut. Blue Matteo, yum. It’s different than my other PRSi, too, which is nice. They’re all in the brown/orange vein: Amber, Black Gold, and Blazing Copper.
- Artist top, I mean...
- The 57/08 pickups in the Stripped are probably better than the #7s in the Singlecut.
- I think I’ll like the two piece bridge better than the wraparound, but can’t say 100%. Same with scale length.
- The Stripped already has locking Phase III tuners. The SC has non-locking vintage style tuners (which I’d want to switch or have modified by John Mann).

This is the part where all of your experience hits pavement, all to my benefit. Which trade do think would be a better fit?

Update: Decided on the Stripped 58! Thanks everyone~

Last edited:
The SCS has a slightly nicer top (color is always a personal pref) and both are excellent guitars for sure. If I got the SCS...I’d be thinking about changing the tuners, bridge (to adjustable stoptail), pickups...and maybe even the knobs (dig the speed knobs, but would prefer black ones or clear lampshades on that color)...almost immediately. The stripper is perfect as is.

I do not like the 24.5" its just too short for me. I had an SC58 10 top and got rid of it. I also think that the one piece bridge gives the gtr a beefier tone though it will feel different to you at first.

MA Pete had 100 PRS and some of his best sounding ones had the one piece bridge.

The SCS has a slightly nicer top (color is always a personal pref) and both are excellent guitars for sure. If I got the SCS...I’d be thinking about changing the tuners, bridge (to adjustable stoptail), pickups...and maybe even the knobs (dig the speed knobs, but would prefer black ones or clear lampshades on that color)...almost immediately. The stripper is perfect as is.
Yup. I’d swap out the tuners. Likely replace the pickups (I have a set of Thornbuckers laying around, perhaps those or a PRS set). Speed knobs would also be swapped, I’m pro-lampshade. I do have a Mann 2300 intonatable bridge, but I got it for an SE Zach Myers - not sure it would fit this guitar properly. I’d also change pickup rings to current recessed screw parts.

So yea, some work.

Single Cut Satin
I had an SC58 and played some 594s both killer guitars but The SCT with its longer scale won the day for me.
Also prefer the one piece wrap bridge more comfy to play and looks killer.
Last the 7s ( unlike the 6s that were and acquired taste ) were really nice vintage sounding pickups

I'd choose the Stripper for superior:
  • pickups
  • tuners
The build quality may be a hair better on the newer one too. I think the older stoptail bridge is comfier, but that's the only thing I prefer in the older Singlecuts vs. the current ones.

Edit: Oops! I forgot these guitars both have the pre-594 control layout, so that's not a difference between them.

Back